Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:31 am

Hm. Well, thanks for saving me ten bucks then. ;-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby urbanbreez » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Anyone else seen GI Joe? Someone here gave it a 10 but IDBM has it at like a 6.2. People in my age group, who grew up with GI Joe gave it an even lower score. People under age 18 gave it a 7 bringing the average up. This would appear to be a glaring red-flag.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:43 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Anyone else seen GI Joe? Someone here gave it a 10 but IDBM has it at like a 6.2. People in my age group, who grew up with GI Joe gave it an even lower score. People under age 18 gave it a 7 bringing the average up. This would appear to be a glaring red-flag.

It's killing me. Being a huge huge G.I. Joe fan growing up I am dying to see it, and a few of my friends have rated it from pretty good to absolutely God awful. I'm a pretty lax movie critic, so I'm hoping it's pretty good, but I'm really disappointed in everything I'm hearing thus far.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby CadensDad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
urbanbreez wrote:Anyone else seen GI Joe? Someone here gave it a 10 but IDBM has it at like a 6.2. People in my age group, who grew up with GI Joe gave it an even lower score. People under age 18 gave it a 7 bringing the average up. This would appear to be a glaring red-flag.

It's killing me. Being a huge huge G.I. Joe fan growing up I am dying to see it, and a few of my friends have rated it from pretty good to absolutely God awful. I'm a pretty lax movie critic, so I'm hoping it's pretty good, but I'm really disappointed in everything I'm hearing thus far.

Me and my bro are/where HUGE Joe fans, he said if you can ignore that fact that it's "Gi Joe" it's a good movie. But it's not a great joe movie. Also they said it wasn't made for "us" (22-32yo) it was made for the newer generation,

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 pm

maybe i will just go rent the old GI Joe cartoon movie with Serpentor and Cobra-La
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 pm

It just looks like a bunch of stunt men diving around with things exploding.
There are 500324034902934 movies like that already. :-t

I like the Conan O'Brien version more, where the snake attacks somebody and turns around and says "co-brah". :-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:maybe i will just go rent the old GI Joe cartoon movie with Serpentor and Cobra-La

...or you could watch the ebaumsworld mini episodes. Also quite entertaining. :-b
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 am

I enjoyed it, but it's not what I was hoping for. Clearly intended for younger viewers. It has very little to do with the old cartoons, in the beginning it says based on the Hasbro characters or something like that so there is no story line from the past. I didn't like a few things they did (I won't spoil any of it) and i thought most if not all of the acting was awkward. The action was good though and there was a lot of it, good fight scenes etc. The story kind of jumped around a bit too. Either way, if you enjoy movies I'd still say you should see it and you can critique :-)
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:13 am

District 9

This movie was kee-razy. The special effects looked incredibly realistic. It had a little of the 'Cloverfield' camera work, but not enough to make it annoying. I thought it was a great and different take on alien encounters, but of the 5 of us that watched it, only 2 of us liked it (me being one). All in all, I thought it was a cool blend of sci-fi and political/moral issues. Also, I'd never heard of the lead, Sharlto Copley, but he was really cool as a hate him/love him back and forth character throughout the film.

I'm giving it a 9/10, but I might be in the minority here... !+)
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Inukchuk wrote:District 9

This movie was kee-razy. The special effects looked incredibly realistic. It had a little of the 'Cloverfield' camera work, but not enough to make it annoying. I thought it was a great and different take on alien encounters, but of the 5 of us that watched it, only 2 of us liked it (me being one). All in all, I thought it was a cool blend of sci-fi and political/moral issues. Also, I'd never heard of the lead, Sharlto Copley, but he was really cool as a hate him/love him back and forth character throughout the film.

I'm giving it a 9/10, but I might be in the minority here... !+)

I liked it a lot, too, though the opening hour left something to be desired. They stayed way too long on the "look how poorly they're being treated" aspect of the movie, but it ended on such a high note that it more than made up for the beginning. Out of the 6 in my group, 1 hated it, 1 loved it (me), and the other 4 thought it was okay. Those same 4 admitted that it was nice Hollywood at least tried to do something new and unique as opposed to a sequel, redux, or a comic book/kids cartoon.

BTW, using pigs as projectile weapons is so much win it's incomprehensible. :-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk