Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:58 pm

I'll offer a counter view. I gave Smoking 7/10. I thought it was very effective satire and very funny. It never got pretentious and the Merchants of Death are worth a watch just for them. The film has some great quotes:

"I was in Korea shooting Chinese in 1952. Now they're our best customers. Next time we won't have to shoot so many of them." :-D

I agree that there was some unrealistic elements to the movie. But I felt that that was intentional as if to say hey this is absurd but not at all when you consider it in light of the absurdity of the cigarette companies' lobbying.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:41 pm

I really enjoyed "Thank You For Smoking."

I can see how the plot was unrealistic, but it was a satire. I thought it was witty.

Jeff Megall: Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they're looking to make.
Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Plus the firearms lobbyist is played by the guy who plays "Packer" on The Office.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:26 pm

Coppermine wrote:I really enjoyed "Thank You For Smoking."

I can see how the plot was unrealistic, but it was a satire. I thought it was witty.

Jeff Megall: Sony has a futuristic sci-fi movie they're looking to make.
Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'

Plus the firearms lobbyist is played by the guy who plays "Packer" on The Office.

I enjoyed Thank you for Smoking enormously. I'd give it around an 8 out of 10.

I can understand any guy being suckered by Katie Holmes, so I'll give the main character a free pass on that one. :-°
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:52 pm

The Last King of Scotland

8.5/10

I'd recommend this movie just to see the work of Whitaker as Idi Amin alone. The story was great, and rarely ever slow. There also was a ton of disturbing violence in it, but that's to be expected heading into a movie like this.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Mugrila » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:24 pm

Saw Reno 911 Miami last Friday and give it about a 7.5 or 8/10. I love the show, and while the movie wasn't spectacular, I enjoyed it. Not funny enough to see a 2nd time in theaters, but would definitely rent it to see it again.

It also gave me a new favorite movie quote for those others who've seen it: "No immunity to bullets" :-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:34 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Pokeyouindaeye wrote:Cu's rating post brought to mind quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. About 2 years ago, Sci-fi used to put out a crappy original every two weeks (or it seemed like it), and one of the movies was called Mansquito. Think about that one for a second.

it cant be worse than Joe's Apartment...it just cant

Troll 2 is the best worst movie of all time

Mansquito is Atrocious.

And the best worst movie of all time is in my opinion Army of Darkness.

"This is MY boomstick."
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby luckygehrig » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:48 pm

Hmm... Just started checking out this thread, so I will throw in some of my recent viewings. Looks like fun, I'm sure I'll check this thread out on a fairly regular basis.

The Good Shepherd: 4/10 The CIA parts were awesome, the family part not so awesome. Also way too long.

Breach: 7/10 Pretty interesting movie. It dragged in a couple spots and there were some aspects that I wish were explained a little better but definitely worth a watch.

Children Of Men: 8/10 Wasn't sure what to expect out of this one. I like sci-fi movies when they're well done and I couldn't tell from the previews. It was a pretty awesome movie though and the visual experience was pretty sweet. The camera work kind of reminded me of the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. Shaky, but awesome if you can stand it.

Babel: 6/10 I know this one was supposed to be one of the best of they year, but I just didn't get it. It was kind of cut up like Pulp Fiction, but I couldn't figure out the order at certain times. By the end of the movie it was all clear, but during, it was kind of annoying. I also could have done without the whole naked Japanese deaf-mute wannabe nympho girl.

War of the Worlds: 8.5/10 Ok, so I'm a few years behind on this one. But it was awesome.

The Departed: 9/10 Best movie of the year in my opinion. The ending left a little something to be desired, but overall it was very good.

The Prestige: 8/10 This was one of those movies where you think you know what is going on, and then the ending hits, and you realize that you knew nothing. I can't wait for it to hit DVD so that I can rewatch it. David Bowie was pretty cool in this as well. Definitely not like whatever that gremlin movie he was in.

That's about all that I can think of for now. I'm sure theres more but those are the ones I can remember. I think I'm going to see Zodiac this Friday. I'm looking forward to that one.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby glcmustliveon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 pm

The Prestige: 8/10 This was one of those movies where you think you know what is going on, and then the ending hits, and you realize that you knew nothing. I can't wait for it to hit DVD so that I can rewatch it. David Bowie was pretty cool in this as well. Definitely not like whatever that gremlin movie he was in.

I thought this movie sucked, however, I think its the opposite reason LuckyGehrig liked it. I'm really bad at figuring out plots, but I figured out all of the mystery about half way through. I think that if you can be fooled by the movie the ending will blow you away...

I just saw the Departed, Great Film. Not as good as GoodFellas but hey, what is. Everyone whos into Gangster type movies should at least rent it. A lot of suspense.

Children of Men was really good too.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:45 pm

I don't think Scorsese will ever top Goodfellas.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:02 pm

I saw Zodiac last night. I was really looking forward to it, and it didn't disappoint. I'd recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys serial killer/crime drama type movies. It reminded me a bit of Se7en, but I think it was the same director or producer, so that could be why as well. I'd give this movie 8.5/10.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk