Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun May 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Frost/Nixon - 8/10
Very enjoyable. The actor playing Nixon's voice was kind of annoying, but otherwise it was very well done and interesting.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 am

teddy ballgame wrote:Frost/Nixon - 8/10
Very enjoyable. The actor playing Nixon's voice was kind of annoying, but otherwise it was very well done and interesting.

Haven't seen the movie, but the real Nixon also had an annoying voice.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 am

RE: Blade Runner...i'd always heard about how great it was, and i only recently saw it a few years ago, but i wasnt overly impressed. i think it's one of those movies that had i saw it at it's time of release i would have appreciated it more. i watched it again about a year or so ago, and i liked it a little better, but i still dont see what all the hype is about, and i'm a sci-fi fan
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby krunchyfrogg » Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:RE: Blade Runner...i'd always heard about how great it was, and i only recently saw it a few years ago, but i wasnt overly impressed. i think it's one of those movies that had i saw it at it's time of release i would have appreciated it more. i watched it again about a year or so ago, and i liked it a little better, but i still dont see what all the hype is about, and i'm a sci-fi fan

I am in the same boat.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue May 26, 2009 4:22 pm

I saw Blade Runner in my HS philosophy class. Also in the same boat.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue May 26, 2009 6:42 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:RE: Blade Runner...i'd always heard about how great it was, and i only recently saw it a few years ago, but i wasnt overly impressed. i think it's one of those movies that had i saw it at it's time of release i would have appreciated it more. i watched it again about a year or so ago, and i liked it a little better, but i still dont see what all the hype is about, and i'm a sci-fi fan

i feel like thats the case with any movie that came out before 1990. :-/

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 27, 2009 6:09 am

Snakes Gould wrote:

i feel like thats the case with any movie that came out before 1990. :-/

Wow really?
I feel the opposite is true. Movies are getting worse and worse IMO. :-t

We've had this conversation before :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby josebach » Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 am

Which version of Bladerunner did you guys see? There were several versions, but my personal favorite was the one with Harrison Ford narrating it. This version wasn't available on DVD for the longest time, but I know the new Blue Ray has it. You also have to take into consideration that the movie is 25 years old. The cityscape they created... without CGI, I might add... was an amazing accomplishment in my opinion and to this day, it still holds it's own or even looks better than some modern CGI enhanced effects. Bladerunner was the epitomy of cutting edge in it's time and people's high opinion of it usually comes from a first viewing taking place back in the 80's. I feel the same way about the movie "Alien". With the exception of the instrument panel on the space ship, the effects in Alien hold it's own in every regard with modern day movies... and it's 30 years old. Ridley Scott is awesome.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 27, 2009 10:41 am

josebach wrote:Which version of Bladerunner did you guys see? There were several versions, but my personal favorite was the one with Harrison Ford narrating it. This version wasn't available on DVD for the longest time, but I know the new Blue Ray has it. You also have to take into consideration that the movie is 25 years old. The cityscape they created... without CGI, I might add... was an amazing accomplishment in my opinion and to this day, it still holds it's own or even looks better than some modern CGI enhanced effects. Bladerunner was the epitomy of cutting edge in it's time and people's high opinion of it usually comes from a first viewing taking place back in the 80's. I feel the same way about the movie "Alien". With the exception of the instrument panel on the space ship, the effects in Alien hold it's own in every regard with modern day movies... and it's 30 years old. Ridley Scott is awesome.

i have this...i think i watched The Final Cut last time

Disc One
RIDLEY SCOTT'S ALL-NEW "FINAL CUT" VERSION OF THE FILM

Restored and remastered with added & extended scenes, added lines, new and cleaner special effects and all new 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio. Also includes:

- Commentary by Ridley Scott

- Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber

- Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer

Disc Two
DOCUMENTARY - DANGEROUS DAYS: MAKING BLADE RUNNER

A feature-length authoritative documentary revealing all the elements that shaped this hugely influential cinema landmark. Cast, crew, critics and colleagues give a behind-the-scenes, in-depth look at the film -- from its literary roots and inception through casting, production, visuals and special effects to its controversial legacy and place in Hollywood history.

Disc Three
1982 THEATRICAL VERSION

This is the version that introduced U.S. movie-going audiences to a revolutionary film with a new and excitingly provocative vision of the near-future. It contains Deckard/Harrison Ford's character narration and has Deckard and Rachel's (Sean Young) "happy ending" escape scene.

1982 INTERNATIONAL VERSION

Also used on U.S. home video, laserdisc and cable releases up to 1992. This version is not rated, and contains some extended action scenes in contrast to the Theatrical Version.

1992 DIRECTOR'S CUT

The Director's Cut omits Deckard's voiceover narration and removes the "happy ending" finale. It adds the famously-controversial "unicorn" sequence, a vision that Deckard has which suggests that he, too, may be a replicant.

Disc Four
BONUS DISC - "Enhancement Archive"

- Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
- Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
- Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
- Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
- The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
- Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
- Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
- Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
- Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
- Unit Photography Gallery
- Deleted & Alternate Scenes
- 1982 Promotional Featurettes
- Trailers & TV Spots
- Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
- Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)
- Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
- Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers

The 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition includes everything from the previously described 4-Disc Edition, plus the ultra-rare, near-legendary WORKPRINT version of the film, newly remastered. The Ultimate Collector's Edition will be presented in a unique 5-disc digi-package with handle which is a stylish version of Rick Deckard's own briefcase, in addition each briefcase will be individually numbered and in limited supply. Included is a lenticular motion film clip from the original feature, miniature origami unicorn figurine, miniature replica spinner car, collector's photographs as well as a signed personal letter from Sir Ridley Scott.

Disc Five
WORKPRINT VERSION

This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts. It includes an altered opening scene, no Deckard narration until the final scenes, no "unicorn" sequence, no Deckard/Rachel "happy ending," altered lines between Batty (Rutger Hauer) and his creator Tyrell (Joe Turkell), alternate music and much more.

Also includes:

- Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
- Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut

as far as the film, like i said, i respect it for what it is, i just didnt think it was all that great. i mean, Fritz Lang's Metropolis was visually stunning for the 1920's, but it wasnt that entertaining of a film when i watched it a few years ago
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 pm

The Machinist - 8.5/10
Christian Bale was phenomenal. I had heard about his diet to prepare for the role, but I didn't realize how much of a dedication it was until seeing him in the movie. Great story and ending...I enjoyed it much more than Fight Club.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk