Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 18, 2009 11:43 am

knapplc wrote:Quantum of Solace = 5/10

This was my least-favorite Bond movie since the Timothy Dalton Bonds. It was choppy, too similar to the last Bond flick with the crazy high-wire foot chases and such. It seemed like they left too much of the movie on the cutting room floor or something. The plot was barely barely fleshed out and the dialogue was difficult to follow. I work with people with accents all the time and even still I had great difficulty hearing what some of the characters were saying. The plot was contrived and seemed very artificial. Here's hoping the next one is better. I like Daniels as Bond...

+1

Awful.

Nearly as terrible as Mission Impossible 2, but then nothing is as bad as that.

He listens in on what the baddies are saying by sitting on a motorbike next to them, pretty stealthy ;-7 !+)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 am

teddy ballgame wrote:The Usual Suspects - 7/10
It probably didn't help that I dozed off at one point, but that doesn't speak well for the movie either. Good twist at the end, otherwise it was good, but nothing special.

American Beauty - 9/10
Just an all around very enjoyable movie. Great characters and dialogue.

Pulp Fiction - 7.5/10
I didn't like it as much while I was watching it but it's grown on me as I think about it. Could have gone without the annoying woman Bruce Willis was with, but Samuel L. Jackson and John Travolta more than made up for it. The scene where Jackson interrogates Brett is one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

Cast Away - 7/10
I couldn't deal with 9 months of no LOST, so I decided to watch this. Hanks on the island made the movie. I can't stand Helen Hunt so as bad as I felt for Hanks' character, I didn't care that much. I was more upset about Wilson floating away, which is another testament to the movie, that it can make you care about a volleyball.

Equilibrium - 3.5/10
I'm very tired of this premise, maybe because we had to read a number of books about it last year in English, but it's unoriginal and there's only so many things you can do with it. Christian Bale being basically invincible also removed a lot of suspense.

i would probably give the Usual Suspects, American Beauty and Pulp Fiction all 10's. all are some of my personal favorites and have seen them several times...nothing against your rankings though.

as for Castaway, that had to be one of the worst movies i've ever seen, although hating Tom Hanks probably has a lot to do with it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Mon May 18, 2009 12:04 pm

I agree, Waiting is a horrible movie. Everyone I know who has worked in the service industry loves it though.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:as for Castaway, that had to be one of the worst movies i've ever seen, although hating Tom Hanks probably has a lot to do with it

WIILLLSSSOOONNN!
Best. Sidekick. Ever.
I'm surprised he didn't get another buddy film role, he's got more charisma then 3/4 of the actors out there. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Open Water - 7/10

This type of movie isn't for everyone. The cheap production and camera work creates a sense of realism and gives it a documentary like feel (much like the Blair Witch Project). That appealed to me. It helped me connect with the characters and actually care about their fate (which is necessary if you're going to like this film). It lacked plot, decent actors, and was predictable (really once you get out into the open water there are only a handful of things that can happen). But I still enjoyed it.

Open Water 2 'Adrift' - 1/10

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Six idiots sail into the ocean for a good time and through pure stupidity manage to get stuck in the water with no way to get back on board. Also, their undoing in the water is also of their own accord. To top it off, the ending is vague and confusing. Two back-to-back scenes seem to contradict one another and suggest different endings to the film.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby CadensDad » Mon May 18, 2009 3:58 pm

jfg wrote:I agree, Waiting is a horrible movie. Everyone I know who has worked in the service industry loves it though.

As a former member of the food brigade I fully support this movie. It's very funny because it's true

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon May 18, 2009 4:08 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Open Water 2 'Adrift' - 1/10

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Six idiots sail into the ocean for a good time and through pure stupidity manage to get stuck in the water with no way to get back on board. Also, their undoing in the water is also of their own accord. To top it off, the ending is vague and confusing. Two back-to-back scenes seem to contradict one another and suggest different endings to the film.

lol I love the Wikipedia summary of the plot.

James, Zach, Lauren and Michelle jump into the water for a swim. Dan soon follows with an unwilling Amy, hoping to help her get over her aquaphobia, without, however, lowering the ladder, thus trapping everybody outside the boat with nothing but two masks, a dive knife, and a toy float....

Zach then tries to use the knife to stab a hole in the hull and use the knife as leverage to help climb up, but Dan is unwilling to see his boat get damaged and attempts to stop Zach. During the ensuing struggle Zach is accidentally stabbed in the abdomen and dies shortly after.

God damn they're stupid. :-D :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Wolverine - i was a huge Wolverine fan as a kid...this movie was a big bowl of "meh". a few decent action scenes, but nothing great. the CGI was pretty bad for the most part too. story was also kind of lame...wish i would have went and seen Star Trek instead
6/10

Personally, I think 6/10 is generous. After nearly falling asleep twice I was pretty close to walking out. One of the worst efforts out of hollywood in a long time IMO. And this is X-Men - it's pretty hard to screw this up, but somehow they managed to find a way. 3/10

Just saw Taken on DVD - I enjoyed it. 8/10
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon May 18, 2009 11:14 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Open Water - 7/10

This type of movie isn't for everyone. The cheap production and camera work creates a sense of realism and gives it a documentary like feel (much like the Blair Witch Project). That appealed to me. It helped me connect with the characters and actually care about their fate (which is necessary if you're going to like this film). It lacked plot, decent actors, and was predictable (really once you get out into the open water there are only a handful of things that can happen). But I still enjoyed it.

Watched it a couple years ago and I don't know if I've seen a more horrible movie since...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby urbanbreez » Mon May 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Upon further investigation, it was Waiting...

Horrible movie.

you'd never say that if you'd worked even a day inside a restaurant. Wait till someone does the batwing to you :-b
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk