Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby CadensDad » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 pm

thedude wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:On a related note why does Hollywood do this and put out similar movies at the same time? It happens time and again.
Illusionist/Prestige
Paul Blart Mall Cop/Observe and report
Tombstone/Wyatt Earp
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Antz/A Bugs Life
and the worst of all Dangerous Liasons/Valmont - the exact same book done within a year of each other

I suspect that they hear through the grapevine about an idea and another film co steals the idea and tries to get it out first. Crazy way to kill your business.

Also Deep Impact/Armageddon

I imagine that when one studio hears about an idea that is green lighted at a competitor some executive says to himself "Damn why didn't i think of that..." and he goes and looks through the pile of scripts on his desk or in a file cabinet and discovers that his studio already owns a script with a similar plot, but just hasn't thought about since it bought the script.

Additionally, it is probably easier to sell a idea/script to a studio if the plot of the movie has already shown to be a good idea by another studio investing millions in it.

Basically it comes down to the fact that the big studios (Fox, MGM, Disney, Sony, Universal , and Warner) aren't original and don't like to take chances.

Yep, I've also heard that sometimes if 2 or more writers start on a project they dont always finish it, one will split off and write his own very close to the other one.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:On a related note why does Hollywood do this and put out similar movies at the same time? It happens time and again.
Illusionist/Prestige
Paul Blart Mall Cop/Observe and report
Tombstone/Wyatt Earp
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Antz/A Bugs Life
and the worst of all Dangerous Liasons/Valmont - the exact same book done within a year of each other

I suspect that they hear through the grapevine about an idea and another film co steals the idea and tries to get it out first. Crazy way to kill your business.

There's a site I came across once that had a big list of DreamWorks and Pixar having very similar movies, but I can't find it again. I know at least one other one was Finding Nemo/Shark Tale.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:56 pm

Amazinz wrote:You always hate on Norton. I think you are crazy.

He's a good actor but people go all crazy about him making him overrated. He's ok.
He was good in Fight Club and Rounders and great in Primal Fear. He has sucked in a lot of movies like Death to Smoochy, Keeping the Faith, the Italian Job and the Hulk. Great actor can play superheroes like Ironman and Constantine, Norton did not pull off the Hulk.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby urbanbreez » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Great actors can play superheroes? I must have missed that memo. Plenty of great actors never have been superheroes, making that a terrible measuring stick. Norton is a great actor. American History X. Norton's performance in Hulk probably had more to do with the director/story line than his performance.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:04 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

He's a good actor but people go all crazy about him making him overrated. He's ok.
He was good in Fight Club and Rounders and great in Primal Fear. He has sucked in a lot of movies like Death to Smoochy, Keeping the Faith, the Italian Job and the Hulk. Great actor can play superheroes like Ironman and Constantine, Norton did not pull off the Hulk.

He was pretty good in American History X.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I'll go ahead and be the first.....I watched Twilight last night, 7.75/10, and was pleasantly suprised. Now I pretty much knew what to expect coming in....knowing it was pegged for the younger audience and more specifically girls but with that taken in mind I enjoyed the movie throughout. I actually liked the different twists they had with the vampires and that it wasn't the same ol thing. What I found even more interesting was how my kids were glued to the tv through the whole thing and I wasn't sure that they would like it or not. So anyway, I won't hate on the movie....it was pretty much what I expected it to be and it was solid enough.

The Punisher....6/10....I was probably 2/3 the way through and just had enough so I turned it off. Lots of action and blood and gore but ehhh, it got old fairly quick.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Twilight was pretty sucky.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Anybody see Dragonball Evolution? I had no idea it was released a couple of weeks back, but apparently I'll have to bite the bullet and see it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Dark City. 8/10. Excellent film that got overshadowed by the Matrix. I've seen it several times and may have already rated it but I saw the Director's Cut for the first time tonight. If you've never seen it, check it out. And if you have and liked it, the DC is definitely worth watching.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

He was pretty good in American History X.

I thought he was very good in the 25th hour as well. I think Norton's a great actor.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk