Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:06 pm

Really beyond some surface similarities, the Illusionist and Prestige are very different. I love both movies.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:13 pm

Amazinz wrote:Really beyond some surface similarities, the Illusionist and Prestige are very different. I love both movies.

Yeah, I agree.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Tropic Thunder 7/10

It was decent, but not earth-shattering like my good buddy Giantsfan thinks it is.

Good bits:

I liked when Ben Stiller was running across the bridge and he had that kiddie hanging on stabbing him in the back, and he threw it in the water.

"What do you mean you people?"
"What do YOU mean, you people?!?"

I liked how Tom Cruise "negotiated" with the terrorists.

Bad bits:

The start (after the ads). ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jack Black. Playing the same character over and over again earns you a lot of money for some reason.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Amazinz wrote:Really beyond some surface similarities, the Illusionist and Prestige are very different. I love both movies.

i cant remember which is which but i like them both
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

The Prestige was with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale where they are competing magicians, also has Scarlett Johansson. The Illusionist is with Edward Norton and Jessica Biel.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:53 am

Slumdog Millionaire - 6.5/10

Knowing it won an Oscar and the way my friend raved about it, it was probably set up to be a disappointment, but it was just pretty "meh" for me. I like the way it was set up with the game and all, but the love story part of it was just not very well done IMO.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:02 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

The Prestige was with Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale where they are competing magicians, also has Scarlett Johansson. The Illusionist is with Edward Norton and Jessica Biel.

Jessica Biel is a terrible actress even for somebody who is just supposed to be eye candy. Norton was also very disappointing in that movie but Paul Giamatti? was great. The other movie was ok too except for the ending that I thought to be a little too far fetched. Even putting aside the suspension of disbelief in the sci-fi/magic aspect I just can't believe someone would do that to themselves.

On a related note why does Hollywood do this and put out similar movies at the same time? It happens time and again.
Illusionist/Prestige
Paul Blart Mall Cop/Observe and report
Tombstone/Wyatt Earp
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Antz/A Bugs Life
and the worst of all Dangerous Liasons/Valmont - the exact same book done within a year of each other

I suspect that they hear through the grapevine about an idea and another film co steals the idea and tries to get it out first. Crazy way to kill your business.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:13 am

You always hate on Norton. I think you are crazy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:30 am

Mookie4ever wrote:On a related note why does Hollywood do this and put out similar movies at the same time? It happens time and again.
Illusionist/Prestige
Paul Blart Mall Cop/Observe and report
Tombstone/Wyatt Earp
Volcano/Dante's Peak
Antz/A Bugs Life
and the worst of all Dangerous Liasons/Valmont - the exact same book done within a year of each other

I suspect that they hear through the grapevine about an idea and another film co steals the idea and tries to get it out first. Crazy way to kill your business.

Also Deep Impact/Armageddon

I imagine that when one studio hears about an idea that is green lighted at a competitor some executive says to himself "Damn why didn't i think of that..." and he goes and looks through the pile of scripts on his desk or in a file cabinet and discovers that his studio already owns a script with a similar plot, but just hasn't thought about since it bought the script.

Additionally, it is probably easier to sell a idea/script to a studio if the plot of the movie has already shown to be a good idea by another studio investing millions in it.

Basically it comes down to the fact that the big studios (Fox, MGM, Disney, Sony, Universal , and Warner) aren't original and don't like to take chances.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Amazinz wrote:You always hate on Norton. I think you are crazy.

Norton is awesome.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk