Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:07 am

Here is the funniest movie ever made:

Only about an hour long. It's a documentary about the Australian attempts to control the beetle population by importing cane toads from Hawaii then trying to control the toad population when it blew up to over 200 million. When kids discover that you can get high by licking the toads hilarity ensues. The funniest parts are the crazy guy who drives around running over toads and the little girl on the cover who adopted one as her pet.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:53 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:i disagree, while his official title may have been that of a 'supporting actor', he was anything but in the movie. his role played a huge part and of all the characters, his was definitely the most important to the movie and probably had the most screen time of any of the many actors. if a great movie would suck without a supporting actor (and while it wouldnt be as good i don't think the movie would suck without downey), that tells me that the character's role played a huge part of the movie and he was anything but just a "supporting actor".

the movie was an awesomly done satire from beginning to end. from the fake trailers to the ending which turns it into the exact movie that it makes fun of. the worst character in the movie was probably jack blacks, and that's just in comparison to everyone else. all of the acting was very good and every character added something to the film imo, just none were as great as downey (which is why i am hesitant to lump him in as just another supporting actor).

The fact of the matter is he was a supporting actor, there were no leads in that movie. Really if you want to choose a lead it would be Stiller before anyone else, the movie revolved around his character. Even so his wasn't a lead role, he was still just in a supporting role like everyone else. If a movie sucks by removing one of five main supporting characters that tells me the acting aside from his isn't very good. But you know what? It doesn't matter. Like I said in a post a long way back, nobody can say (X) movie is the funniest ever, it's all subjective. You can only base you opinion from the movies you have sampled. You wanna say Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie you have ever seen that's fine. We can go around in circles all day long with this and never agree, that's the great thing about critiquing films. ;-D

One thing I think we do agree on is Scarlett Johanssen is awesome. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mugrila » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:what would you say the 3 funniest movie ever are?

Monty Python's Life of Brian and The Holy Grail are easily in my top 3 at least. Life of Brian is the funnier of the two, I'll say. Each scene is satirical genius, but my favorite sequence was back-to-back Michael Palin as Ben the Prisoner and the classic Biggus scene.

Life of Brian is easily my #1. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:50 pm

Metroid wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i disagree, while his official title may have been that of a 'supporting actor', he was anything but in the movie. his role played a huge part and of all the characters, his was definitely the most important to the movie and probably had the most screen time of any of the many actors. if a great movie would suck without a supporting actor (and while it wouldnt be as good i don't think the movie would suck without downey), that tells me that the character's role played a huge part of the movie and he was anything but just a "supporting actor".

the movie was an awesomly done satire from beginning to end. from the fake trailers to the ending which turns it into the exact movie that it makes fun of. the worst character in the movie was probably jack blacks, and that's just in comparison to everyone else. all of the acting was very good and every character added something to the film imo, just none were as great as downey (which is why i am hesitant to lump him in as just another supporting actor).

The fact of the matter is he was a supporting actor, there were no leads in that movie. Really if you want to choose a lead it would be Stiller before anyone else, the movie revolved around his character. Even so his wasn't a lead role, he was still just in a supporting role like everyone else. If a movie sucks by removing one of five main supporting characters that tells me the acting aside from his isn't very good. But you know what? It doesn't matter. Like I said in a post a long way back, nobody can say (X) movie is the funniest ever, it's all subjective. You can only base you opinion from the movies you have sampled. You wanna say Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie you have ever seen that's fine. We can go around in circles all day long with this and never agree, that's the great thing about critiquing films. ;-D

One thing I think we do agree on is Scarlett Johanssen is awesome. :-D

my whole point is that it doesn't matter what the movie would be like without him because he's in it. you can guess all you want what the movie would be without him but in the end it doesn't matter, he's still in it and the movie is still hilarious.

also, if everyone united around a common love of scarlett, there would be no more war or fighting or killing. We must join together in this common goal to spread peace and happiness throughout the world.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:08 pm

so after all this hub-bub about forgetting sarah marshall i decided to watch it last night. it was definitely enjoyable and a very good movie overall. yes it was funny, but i wasn't "dying of laughter" at any part. mostly just some chuckles but i think i fell in love with mila kunis. :-L

8/10.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:18 pm

Burn After Reading 8.5/10

I had very low expectations after reading the reviews on here, however I really liked it. Brad Pitt was great (seriously, when isn't he?) and for some reason I liked how they started with two/three seemingly separate plots and wove them together.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Quick list of movies funnier than Tropic Thunder and Sarah Marshall in no particular order

Anchorman
Zoolander
Rushmore
Bottle Rocket
Royal Tennebaums
Life Acquatic
that other Wes Anderson movie that wasnt even that funny
Welcome to the Dollhouse
Happiness
Storytelling
History of the World Part 1
Spaceballs
South Park
Orgazmo
Being There (everyone needs to see this if they havent)
Naked Gun 1, 2.5 and even 33.33333333
Best In Show
Major League
Troll 2
Fargo
Big Lebowski
pretty much any Cohen Bros Comedy
Holy Grail
American Pie
Johnny Dangerously

that's all i can think of and i know i missed quite a few
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby smoovethug » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:19 pm

Knocked Up 7/10...Maybe my expectations were a little high. It had it's moments but I wouldn't call it hilarious. Enjoyable movie though.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:21 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Here is the funniest movie ever made:

Only about an hour long. It's a documentary about the Australian attempts to control the beetle population by importing cane toads from Hawaii then trying to control the toad population when it blew up to over 200 million. When kids discover that you can get high by licking the toads hilarity ensues. The funniest parts are the crazy guy who drives around running over toads and the little girl on the cover who adopted one as her pet.

Is this like the Gerry challenge?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:25 pm

I have a new movie for fans of the Gerry Challenge: Vinyan. It is basically Gerry meets Apocalypse Now but not really in a good way.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk