Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:37 pm

Metroid wrote:LOL! Tropic Thunder as high quality comedy, now you're just being silly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, remove Downey and his character, and Tropic Thunder is pretty much unwatchable. He kept that movie out of the totally sucking category.

saying that the movie would suck by removing him is irrelevant because he was a huge part of the movie, it's like saying taxi driver would suck if you removed robert deniro's character (as you know i already think it sucked, i'm just making a point.) his character was absolutely hilarious and it helped to make the movie hilarious. the fake previews were great, and i really can't think of a single scene which seemed out of place or unnecessary. the movie is incredibly well written and was pulled off perfectly imo.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:58 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Metroid wrote:LOL! Tropic Thunder as high quality comedy, now you're just being silly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, remove Downey and his character, and Tropic Thunder is pretty much unwatchable. He kept that movie out of the totally sucking category.

saying that the movie would suck by removing him is irrelevant because he was a huge part of the movie, it's like saying taxi driver would suck if you removed robert deniro's character (as you know i already think it sucked, i'm just making a point.) his character was absolutely hilarious and it helped to make the movie hilarious. the fake previews were great, and i really can't think of a single scene which seemed out of place or unnecessary. the movie is incredibly well written and was pulled off perfectly imo.

There's a huge difference between removing a main lead character, Deniro from Taxi Driver, and a supporting character, Downey from Tropic Thunder. The comparison isn't ever in the same ball park. Deniro was Taxi Driver and Taxi Driver was Deniro, Tropic Thunder still had Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, and Brandon T. Jackson all in main character staring roles. None of their performances were memorable at all. When you can remove a supporting actor and the film blows that says a lot about the film.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:14 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:what would you say the 3 funniest movie ever are?

Monty Python's Life of Brian and The Holy Grail are easily in my top 3 at least. Life of Brian is the funnier of the two, I'll say. Each scene is satirical genius, but my favorite sequence was back-to-back Michael Palin as Ben the Prisoner and the classic Biggus scene.

If I had to narrow it down to one in the top 3, that's a hard task. This is Spinal Tap, Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, and Airplane! were all classics. For modern films, I'll say South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut and There's Something About Mary would have to be up there.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:25 am

Metroid wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

There's a huge difference between removing a main lead character, Deniro from Taxi Driver, and a supporting character, Downey from Tropic Thunder. The comparison isn't ever in the same ball park. Deniro was Taxi Driver and Taxi Driver was Deniro, Tropic Thunder still had Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Jay Baruchel, and Brandon T. Jackson all in main character staring roles. None of their performances were memorable at all. When you can remove a supporting actor and the film blows that says a lot about the film.

i disagree, while his official title may have been that of a 'supporting actor', he was anything but in the movie. his role played a huge part and of all the characters, his was definitely the most important to the movie and probably had the most screen time of any of the many actors. if a great movie would suck without a supporting actor (and while it wouldnt be as good i don't think the movie would suck without downey), that tells me that the character's role played a huge part of the movie and he was anything but just a "supporting actor".

the movie was an awesomly done satire from beginning to end. from the fake trailers to the ending which turns it into the exact movie that it makes fun of. the worst character in the movie was probably jack blacks, and that's just in comparison to everyone else. all of the acting was very good and every character added something to the film imo, just none were as great as downey (which is why i am hesitant to lump him in as just another supporting actor).
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:26 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Monty Python's Life of Brian and The Holy Grail are easily in my top 3 at least. Life of Brian is the funnier of the two, I'll say. Each scene is satirical genius, but my favorite sequence was back-to-back Michael Palin as Ben the Prisoner and the classic Biggus scene.

If I had to narrow it down to one in the top 3, that's a hard task. This is Spinal Tap, Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles, and Airplane! were all classics. For modern films, I'll say South Park: Bigger Longer Uncut and There's Something About Mary would have to be up there.

definitely agree with south park and there's something about mary. both great movies.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Yoda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:01 am

Tropic Thunder was horrible. I can't believe people actually liked that movie. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:04 am

Yoda wrote:Tropic Thunder was horrible. I can't believe people actually liked that movie. :-D

they srsly need to implement that ignore button.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:00 am

You know who made Tropic Thunder awesome?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby phillyphan12 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Hit the nail on the head with This Is Spinal Tap my friend...Best.Comedy.Ever ;-D

But then again, it may not be this way for all people, i think you need to appreciate rock music and the lifestlye to understand the satire in the film and get the most enjoyment out of it.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby killertofu2222 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:32 am

just watched The Day the Earth Stood Still online..
weird to say the least, never saw the original so i don't know if it was supposed to be that way. good movie overall i suppose, but spoiler alert: the ending was kind of weak sauce.

id give it a 6.5/10 but only because i like keanu reeves as an alien that has very basic dialogue. cgi was cool

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk