Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:37 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i just feel comedy has evolved past most those movies. i've heard blazing saddles is still hilarious (never seen it), but while those movies may have been the best ever when they came out i don't think they they're near as funny now as when they were first released. it's like how everyone thought dumb and dumber was hilarious when it came out, it was on tv recently and it was near unwatchable, comedy has evolved to the point where most these older comedies are just outdated and not funny any more. it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.

Hell, I still like Dumb and Dumber and couldn't even finish Tropical Thunder.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:47 pm

Bad Santa is one of the smartest, funniest, well-written comedies ever made IMHO and that's only 2003. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Amazinz wrote:Bad Santa is one of the smartest, funniest, well-written comedies ever made IMHO and that's only 2003. ;-D

i thought bad santa was pretty funny as well.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:35 pm

Amazinz wrote:Bad Santa is one of the smartest, funniest, well-written comedies ever made IMHO and that's only 2003. ;-D

Good call, Bad Santa is an awesome movie. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:06 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i just feel comedy has evolved past most those movies. i've heard blazing saddles is still hilarious (never seen it), but while those movies may have been the best ever when they came out i don't think they they're near as funny now as when they were first released. it's like how everyone thought dumb and dumber was hilarious when it came out, it was on tv recently and it was near unwatchable, comedy has evolved to the point where most these older comedies are just outdated and not funny any more. it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.

Dumb and Dumber? What? That's your comparison? Even so Tropic Thunder is still boring even in comparison to a Jim Carey "comedy".

Go rent Life of Brian. That's probably my all time favourite comedy.
Roger and Me is great, Raising Arizona or Lebowski from the Cohen Brothers, Bull Durham. There are some more but I can't think of them right now.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Dumb and Dumber? What? That's your comparison? Even so Tropic Thunder is still boring even in comparison to a Jim Carey "comedy".

Go rent Life of Brian. That's probably my all time favourite comedy.
Roger and Me is great, Raising Arizona or Lebowski from the Cohen Brothers. There are some more but I can't think of them right now.

it's just the first movie that popped into my head because i had seen it recently and it sucked. there are plenty of older movies that were probably considered funny when they came out and suck now.

tropic thunder must be too high quality comedy for most you guys to get otherwise i'm sure everyone would think it was hilarious (because it really is).

i'll have to check out life of brian, i've never seen it. of those other ones i've only seen the big lebowski, and thought it was ok, i can see how some people would love it, it just wasn't really for me.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby killertofu2222 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:24 pm

haha tropic thunder wasn't a high quality comedy. same ben stiller and jack black, different movie. robert downey jr. i thought was the funniest character.

wasn't even the best movie of the summer, pineapple express was better.

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby fezzik » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 pm

killertofu2222 wrote:tropic thunder wasn't even the best movie of the summer, pineapple express was better.

I agree with this.

I thought Tropic Thunder had a handful of really funny moments, but overall I felt it was just pretty good...I understood the comedic concept of a satire about the current state of Hollywood, but some of the humor just didn't hit my funny bone. It was pretty hit and miss. However, I really enjoyed Downey Jr.'s character.

Pineapple Express made me laugh more, and definitely more consistently.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Some of the politically incorrect humour in the '70s was truly magnificent.
Nowadays it seems like (apart from the odd Dave Chappelle/Borat) comedians are more sanitised in that way - especially if they make it to movie level.
Movie comedy is (in my opinion) some of the least funny stuff out there. :-t
Last edited by AussieDodger on Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:16 pm

LOL! Tropic Thunder as high quality comedy, now you're just being silly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, remove Downey and his character, and Tropic Thunder is pretty much unwatchable. He kept that movie out of the totally sucking category.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk