Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Metroid wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Metroid wrote:another swing and a miss. Wanna try again? :-b

nope, nothing else is even close to as funny.

You seriously think Tropic Thunder is the funniest movie ever? Man that's really too bad.

i don't think it is, i know it is.

what would you say the 3 funniest movie ever are?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby killertofu2222 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:05 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:what would you say the 3 funniest movie ever are?

1. caddyshack
2. blazing saddles
3. monty python and the search for the holy grail.

classics and some of the best written comedy of all time, much more smarter than forgetting sarah marshall

"We can't stop here. This is BAT country!"
killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:09 pm

killertofu2222 wrote: much more smarter

oh the irony
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby killertofu2222 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:11 pm

yea bad grammar but you get my point. my mom has been an english teacher for over 30 years, i'm allowed to use it every once in a while.

killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: I come from the land where the ocean's freeze, spent 3 long months on the open seas

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:30 pm

i just feel comedy has evolved past most those movies. i've heard blazing saddles is still hilarious (never seen it), but while those movies may have been the best ever when they came out i don't think they they're near as funny now as when they were first released. it's like how everyone thought dumb and dumber was hilarious when it came out, it was on tv recently and it was near unwatchable, comedy has evolved to the point where most these older comedies are just outdated and not funny any more. it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby killertofu2222 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:38 pm

true, but they're classics. they paved the way for comedies today, and writing was head and shoulders above anything today

killertofu2222
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:43 pm

WGN showed WarGames last weekend. Can't believe I never saw this one, it's right in my wheelhouse.

Solid 7/10.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:01 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i just feel comedy has evolved past most those movies. i've heard blazing saddles is still hilarious (never seen it), but while those movies may have been the best ever when they came out i don't think they they're near as funny now as when they were first released. it's like how everyone thought dumb and dumber was hilarious when it came out, it was on tv recently and it was near unwatchable, comedy has evolved to the point where most these older comedies are just outdated and not funny any more. it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.

How can you say any movie is the funniest ever when you haven't even seen Blazing Saddles? That's like saying cake is the best dessert ever without having ever tried ice cream.

Blazing Saddles would rank very high on my list, but it really varies which movies I think are best comedies. And really nobody can say (X) movie is the funniest ever, it's all subjective. To you Tropic Thunder is the funniest you've ever seen, that's fine.

To me no top 5 list would be complete without, at least, 3 of these 5 films:

The Big Lebowski
Office Space
40 Year Old Virgin
Blues Brothers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Also any of the following could be named to round out a top 10...

Groundhog Day
Animal House
Dr. Strangelove
Young Frankenstein
National Lampoon's Vacation
Dogma
Airplane!
Spaceballs
Stripes
Ghostbusters
History of the World Part 1
Beetlejuice
The Naked Gun
Shaun of the Dead
Coming to America
Police Academy
National Lampoon's Vacation

I could go on and on before I even got close to Tropic Thunder and I really liked that movie.
Last edited by Metroid on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:36 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote: it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.

You mean devolved from deep plots and strong charter development to CGI crap-fests.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:42 pm

thedude wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote: it's probably the same reason i don't like most older movies, i'm too young to have been around when they first came out so now i compare them to the good movies of my generation and they just can't compete in my eyes.

You mean devolved from deep plots and strong charter development to CGI crap-fests.

"to the good movies of my generation"

the huge majority of movies are horrible, including the "cgi crap-fests" which you speak of, that's why i put the "good" qualifier in there.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk