100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
phillyphan12 wrote:yeah, that was also bothersome with me...My other main reason for not liking the movie was the fact that i didn`t think it was realistic. The girl is pregnant, and when she tells her parents for the first time they just kinda have this "eh" feeling about it. No screaming and shouting at her for getting knocked up, no freaking out, just kinda "you`re pregnant...that sucks." Same thing when she tells her boyfriend, he doesn`t freak out or anything, he just has this feeling of " Okay, that`s not good." But no real sense of urgency about it.

I actually think the reaction of the parents was more realistic than if they would have had some huge explosion and been yelling and screaming. I think (or hope, at least) that most parents would have a better way of dealing with a situation like that than by yelling and screaming. And the boyfriend's reaction rang true with me as well, at least from my personal experience. Also, I thought the film did a pretty good job of showing that, although becoming pregnant while still in high school is going to have a profound impact on your life, it doesn't necessarily have to ruin your life, cause you to drop out of school, give up on college, etc. I also thought they did a decent job of, while not vilifying abortion, also not presenting it as something to be taken lightly without considering its impact.

Are there little illegitimate Vandelays running around this country? God I hope so.

Ask your mom.

There aren't any, but I did have a slight scare in high school. I was a 17-year-old senior, my girlfriend was a 16-year-old junior. One day she told me she was a month late. My reaction was almost literally, "well...s**t." I didn't really freak out, I didn't really react at all, other than to say that we better make an appointment to get a pregnancy test. We went to the clinic a couple days later and the test came back negative. Literally the very next day she had her period. I think it was just the universe's way of messing with me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:15 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Juno's soundtrack sucked too. I imagine it ruined a bunch of emo kids' days by making their favorite unique band that nobody had heard of famous.

i liked it a lot...i even bought the CD...in fact, i think it's in my car right now

Meh. Besides my previous comment, I thought a lot of the songs sounded similar.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby fezzik » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:20 pm

I enjoyed Juno as well. I liked the writing, although sometimes it came off as trying to be too hip...I liked Bateman's character a lot, and then he does some things in the movie to make me really dislike him. So he must have played the role well to make me care. I also want to echo the notion that the parents'/boyfriend's reaction were more authentic than if there was hysteria. It would be one of those things that just knocks the wind out of you...leaves you momentarily numb and in a state of shock, but there really is no point in screaming.

I would give it an 8/10...or a 4/5 if you want to reduce it to its simplest form. :-)
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm

I liked Juno enough but I thought the name dropping of bands and movies was kind of lame... luckily there was a good story to go along with it unlike the other "quirky " movies out there.

I don't like that movies, commercials and TV shows have become the new medium for non-major label bands to make it big. Radio doesn't know how to market it, mostly because it's being run by people so out of touch with music it's unreal and that's too bad. There's a station here in MN called The Current which markets to aging hipsters and they get a really good response. I don't listen to it a whole lot because it tends to sound pretty similar but I appreciate that they have given a lot of good music a place on the radio.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:36 pm

jfg wrote:I liked Juno enough but I thought the name dropping of bands and movies was kind of lame... luckily there was a good story to go along with it unlike the other "quirky " movies out there.

I don't like that movies, commercials and TV shows have become the new medium for non-major label bands to make it big. Radio doesn't know how to market it, mostly because it's being run by people so out of touch with music it's unreal and that's too bad. There's a station here in MN called The Current which markets to aging hipsters and they get a really good response. I don't listen to it a whole lot because it tends to sound pretty similar but I appreciate that they have given a lot of good music a place on the radio.

All of the bands I remember hearing in Juno were from way back....I don't think The Melvins or Sonic Youth needed Juno to "make it big." They did fine well before Juno came out and I think they are perfectly happy with the amount of success they've had. Sonic Youth has been around since 81 and have been signed to major labels. The Melvins have been around since 84 and have been signed to major labels. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I have the Juno soundtrack. I think it's quite good.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:49 pm

There's one Sonic Youth song on the entire 18-track album. There's also Mott the Hoople. Not every song in the soundtrack sucks.

What about Belle & Sebastian and Kimya Dawson, who make up more than half of the soundtrack? This is what I was pertaining to. These songs all sound so similar and are boring.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby CadensDad » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Top Gun 9/10

I must admit this is my first time watching the film. I was quite impressed with it. I enjoyed the storyline and the action was pretty solid.(Considering what time period this movie was made in.) I am trying to go back and watch some "classics" that I have never seen and this is one of many.

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:32 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:There's one Sonic Youth song on the entire 18-track album. There's also Mott the Hoople. Not every song in the soundtrack sucks.

What about Belle & Sebastian and Kimya Dawson, who make up more than half of the soundtrack? This is what I was pertaining to. These songs all sound so similar and are boring.

I was just commenting on jfg's post. I don't remember either Belle & Sebastian or Kimya Dawson's name being dropped in the film.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:24 am

AquaMan2342 wrote:There's one Sonic Youth song on the entire 18-track album. There's also Mott the Hoople. Not every song in the soundtrack sucks.

i like them...it's nice and relaxing

CadensDad wrote:Top Gun 9/10

I must admit this is my first time watching the film. I was quite impressed with it. I enjoyed the storyline and the action was pretty solid.(Considering what time period this movie was made in.) I am trying to go back and watch some "classics" that I have never seen and this is one of many.

admit it...you just watched it for the vollyball scene
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk