Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:44 pm

3500th

i quite enjoyed Juno, I'd give it like an 8.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Juno's soundtrack sucked too. I imagine it ruined a bunch of emo kids' days by making their favorite unique band that nobody had heard of famous.

yeah, that was also bothersome with me...My other main reason for not liking the movie was the fact that i didn`t think it was realistic. The girl is pregnant, and when she tells her parents for the first time they just kinda have this "eh" feeling about it. No screaming and shouting at her for getting knocked up, no freaking out, just kinda "you`re pregnant...that sucks." Same thing when she tells her boyfriend, he doesn`t freak out or anything, he just has this feeling of " Okay, that`s not good." But no real sense of urgency about it.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Memento- 8.5/10

This was a real WTF movie...It makes you think alot as you watch it, and if you are following along correctly, you`ll think it was great, as I did. If not, then i imagine you`ll hate it.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 am

phillyphan12 wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:Juno's soundtrack sucked too. I imagine it ruined a bunch of emo kids' days by making their favorite unique band that nobody had heard of famous.

yeah, that was also bothersome with me...My other main reason for not liking the movie was the fact that i didn`t think it was realistic. The girl is pregnant, and when she tells her parents for the first time they just kinda have this "eh" feeling about it. No screaming and shouting at her for getting knocked up, no freaking out, just kinda "you`re pregnant...that sucks." Same thing when she tells her boyfriend, he doesn`t freak out or anything, he just has this feeling of " Okay, that`s not good." But no real sense of urgency about it.

That's the sad commentary on our country. There are a lot of people in this country who are so disconnected from their parents or vice versa that there is no emotional investment from one to the other. Trust me, I have friends who are emotionally screwed up now that they are in their mid-20's and have never had a real relationship with either of their parents.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:40 am

i liked it a lot...i even bought the CD...in fact, i think it's in my car right now
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:50 am

Rolemodels 9/10

Absolutely loved it, laughed my a** off.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 am

Hitman - 6.5/10 I love unnecessary violence in movies, but I feel this one could have been better. Acting wasn't great and plot had some holes in it. Action was great, though, and that's the whole reason I got it. Worth a renting, but I would have regretted seeing it in the theater.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:36 am

phillyphan12 wrote:yeah, that was also bothersome with me...My other main reason for not liking the movie was the fact that i didn`t think it was realistic. The girl is pregnant, and when she tells her parents for the first time they just kinda have this "eh" feeling about it. No screaming and shouting at her for getting knocked up, no freaking out, just kinda "you`re pregnant...that sucks." Same thing when she tells her boyfriend, he doesn`t freak out or anything, he just has this feeling of " Okay, that`s not good." But no real sense of urgency about it.

I actually think the reaction of the parents was more realistic than if they would have had some huge explosion and been yelling and screaming. I think (or hope, at least) that most parents would have a better way of dealing with a situation like that than by yelling and screaming. And the boyfriend's reaction rang true with me as well, at least from my personal experience. Also, I thought the film did a pretty good job of showing that, although becoming pregnant while still in high school is going to have a profound impact on your life, it doesn't necessarily have to ruin your life, cause you to drop out of school, give up on college, etc. I also thought they did a decent job of, while not vilifying abortion, also not presenting it as something to be taken lightly without considering its impact.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:55 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
phillyphan12 wrote:yeah, that was also bothersome with me...My other main reason for not liking the movie was the fact that i didn`t think it was realistic. The girl is pregnant, and when she tells her parents for the first time they just kinda have this "eh" feeling about it. No screaming and shouting at her for getting knocked up, no freaking out, just kinda "you`re pregnant...that sucks." Same thing when she tells her boyfriend, he doesn`t freak out or anything, he just has this feeling of " Okay, that`s not good." But no real sense of urgency about it.

I actually think the reaction of the parents was more realistic than if they would have had some huge explosion and been yelling and screaming. I think (or hope, at least) that most parents would have a better way of dealing with a situation like that than by yelling and screaming. And the boyfriend's reaction rang true with me as well, at least from my personal experience. Also, I thought the film did a pretty good job of showing that, although becoming pregnant while still in high school is going to have a profound impact on your life, it doesn't necessarily have to ruin your life, cause you to drop out of school, give up on college, etc. I also thought they did a decent job of, while not vilifying abortion, also not presenting it as something to be taken lightly without considering its impact.

Totally. They way her parents reacted is exactly how my parents would have reacted if I had come home and told them I knocked my girlfriend up. I would have gotten a little more "you should have been smarter than that" but they wouldn't have raged on me. Not all parents "scream and yell" when they hear their kid has made a mistake. And I agree with you about the boyfriends reaction too, in fact when she tells him he instantly looks like he's had the life sucked out of him, that's exactly how I would have looked...and then asked what she wanted to do. Freaking out isn't going to help anything. Now I may have freaked out in private, and he may have to, but he wasn't the focus of the film. Maybe he cried into his pillow at night before bed who knows.

Anyway I really like Juno, not enough to buy the soundtrack but I like the film a lot. I really like Jason Bateman, he's a very underrated actor.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

Are there little illegitimate Vandelays running around this country? God I hope so.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk