Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby phillyphan12 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:55 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Just brought myself to watch the last 45 minutes of Religulous....yep, Bill Maher is still an irritating, condescending prick.

I thought Religulous was a good documentary... i agree that Maher can get annoying at times but ya gotta admit he made many of those religious figures he interviewed look like complete idiots, i thought it was hilarious how many of them couldnt even concieve the possibility that someone would question their beliefs.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:02 am

phillyphan12 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Just brought myself to watch the last 45 minutes of Religulous....yep, Bill Maher is still an irritating, condescending prick.

I thought Religulous was a good documentary... i agree that Maher can get annoying at times but ya gotta admit he made many of those religious figures he interviewed look like complete idiots, i thought it was hilarious how many of them couldnt even concieve the possibility that someone would question their beliefs.

That doesn't necessarily mean he is a great documentarian (if that is even a word), that can easily be done with editing. I think Ben Stein did a better job in his documentary that basically suggested the opposite of what Maher tried to accomplish. I know some would argue what Stein's point was, but I think it's safe to say he was pushing the idea to lend credibility towards creationism and suggest evolutionists beliefs stem from a smaller possibility.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phillyphan12 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 am

I havent seen the Ben Stein doc. you speak of so i can`t comment on that, but I can imagine him being a more likelable person in said documentary as opposed to Maher`s "prickishness"( completely made up that one) ;-7
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:25 am

From GiantsFan14...

LOTR - sucked
gran torino - sucked
hot fuzz - sucked
taxi driver -sucked
no country for old men - sucked
bourne identity - sucked
Starship Troopers - entertaining

Go figure. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:17 pm

well Gran Torino did suck. The rest on that list were great except starship troopers which sucked.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 pm

Phatferd wrote:well Gran Torino did suck. The rest on that list were great except starship troopers which sucked.

at least you got one right.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:40 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:

Right, like Phatferd said, it's easily done with editing.

Also, Maher himself couldn't conceive the possibility that he's wrong as well. He interviews a Jesus actor midway through the film, and the Jesus actor asks him "What if you're wrong?". Instead of making any attempt to answer, he just laughs at him and says "What if you're wrong?" and the segment ends there with the Jesus actor staring at him. That's clever editing, even as an atheist I can think of 5 or 10 great answers to that question, and I'm 100% sure that the Jesus actor could've given him at least one or two of them.

Later, he says something like "How do you know this s**t? Are you kidding me? You don't know. How do I know you don't know? Because I don't know and you do not possess mental powers that I do not." Great, watch Christians apply that exact same logic to the biochemistry of evolution and other elements of high science. "I don't understand it so no one possibly can." Brilliant.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Yeah, Religulous really wasn't very good. It's 90 min of Bill Maher going, "You know the Bible isn't real, right?". Like he's the first person to figure that out. The only parts that entertained me were Larry David's cheap editing tricks. Although I do have a certain fascination with Maher's arrogance. His hubris is nearly unmatched.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:56 pm

10,000 BC

I give it 10,000/20,000
The girl was very pretty but I don't believe that it was historically accurate.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:10,000 BC

I give it 10,000/20,000
The girl was very pretty but I don't believe that it was historically accurate.

You think? Woolly mammoths from the ice age helping build the Great Pyramids which weren't even around till 2500BC or so...yeah that ain't right. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk