Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CheeseBeger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 pm

The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
I've seen them all a million times and they are still great.

Jesus Camp 7.5/10
Pretty strange stuff.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:19 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:A Scanner Darkly

A Phillip K Dick story filmed with Rotoscoping technology, stars Keanu Reeves who amazingly does not say "whoa" (maybe he did and i'm so used to it) as an undercover cop hooked on "Substance D" Robert Downey Jr is really good in it, and it has Winona Ryder's cartoon boobs...and a pretty good ending. i was expecting more though

7/10

saw it yesterday. woody's character is the best. 7/10 is about where i rate it too.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:18 am

Watched these when I was sick last week-

Slither- 8/10 tongue in cheek gorefest- lots of fun. Highly recommended for fans of that kind of stuff.

Art School Confidential- 6/10 I used to love Daniel Clowe's "Eightball" comic when I was a kid, so I had to see this. Some hilarious parts, but a whole lot of crap too. Worth seeing.

Jackass Two- 8/10 more fun than the first one. More of the same, but it looked more painful too. !+)
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 am

The Last King of Scotland 8/10

I hadn't heard of this movie until Forest Whitaker won the Golden Globe for it. Then I saw it playing in Raleigh so I went. Anyway, now I see what all the fuss is about. Whitaker blew me away.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 pm

Amazinz wrote:The Last King of Scotland 8/10

I hadn't heard of this movie until Forest Whitaker won the Golden Globe for it. Then I saw it playing in Raleigh so I went. Anyway, now I see what all the fuss is about. Whitaker blew me away.

Can't wait to see that one. Whitaker is an excellent actor. Very underrated until now I guess.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BGbootha » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:27 pm

Jesus Camp - 8/10 very entertaining and scarier than hell (no pun intended.

Crank - 4/10, some of the scenes where entertaining but this could have been a decenmt movie, I liked the story line, but overall it was just horrible.

Open Season 8/10 - I got two kids and well this one was pretty good, had to explain to my 4-year old why one guy was 'hunting' the bear who was really nice. But other than that it was enjoyable. Better than Barnyard, but no where near Cars
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Hannibal Rising - 7/10

This is an ok movie on its own, but if you're a big fan of the first 3 then it gets a lot better. With Lector being one of my favorite characters in movie history, I'm probably being a tad generous with my 7/10.

The movie paints an interesting picture of what caused Lector to become the person that his in the later movies. It covers the most critical event in his life (I won't ruin this), which takes place in his early years and then jumps to him in his teens and his quest for revenge.

My two biggest issues in this movie were
#1 The Acting. The kid who plays a young Lector tends to over act and it hurts the performance, of course when put up against Anthony Hopkins, who wouldn't look bad? The woman that plays his aunt also puts together a bit of an awkward performance.

#2 The Aunt Storyline. It just seems out of place. It works at some points, but at others it just feels like it could have been done a tad bit better.

Overall I would say if you were a fan of the first 3 and have some time to burn go check it out, if not then just wait for it to come out on dvd.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:28 pm

Matchstick Men

8/10
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:56 pm

i actually saw these last weekend but...

The Science of Sleep Micheal Gondry (Eternal Sunshine...) directs this pretentious artsy-fartsy film about some loser who cant keep his real world and dream world straight as he tries to bang his unattractive neighbor and rides stuffed horses through cellophane seas.

normally i like movies that are differnent, and maybe i just didnt get it, but it pretty much sucked. half of it is in French (i normally dont mind subtitled movies although i think i have hated just about any one that's in French). i think i just dont "get" French cinema

3/10

The Last Kiss Zach Braff and a bunch of his freinds are close to thirty and start having second thoughts about the way their life is going. Braff knocks up his girlfriend and meets a college girl (Rachel Bilson from TV's the OC) who he cant decide if she should have a fling with.

it was better than i thought it would be and had some boobs in it, even Bilson's possibly but it was a dimly lit scene and there was a glare on the TV and i didnt want to pause it to shut the lights off and have my wife ask why

7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Hey Dan, when I saw The Science of Sleep I thought it was OK (had some enjoyable moments) but I didn't feel like I "got" it either. After the fact, I read an interpretation by a film critic that Stephane and Stephanie are actually 10-year old children trying to cope with an adult world. Not saying that will help you appreciate the movie any but it did for me. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk