Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:00 pm

Saw Letters from Iwo Jima today. I thought it had a great story, and had some people choking up in tears by the end. It's one of the best I've seen over the last 12 months (up there with The Departed). It will be interesting to see who wins the best director, Scorsese or Eastwood, in addition to the best picture.

9/10.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 pm

I can't wait to see Letters... I saw Flags of our Fathers and it was great IMHO and that didn't even get nominated so I am really looking forward to that one. It's not playing by me though. :-C
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:18 pm

Amazinz wrote:I can't wait to see Letters... I saw Flags of our Fathers and it was great IMHO and that didn't even get nominated so I am really looking forward to that one. It's not playing by me though. :-C

Yeah, I had heard Flags of our Fathers was good, too. I still haven't seen that, but I plan to. For whatever reason, critics generally didn't like it as much as Letters.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CheeseBeger » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:42 am

Brain Candy 5.5/10

Very strange movie from "Kids in the Hall,"

If you like KITH, you'll at least enjoy the movie.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:46 am

Pan's Labryinth i was expecting it to be more fantasyish, but this was really really good. really kept me captivated and i'm sure some film nerds can break down all kinds of hidden meanings and metaphors...also has some nice violence.

also, unlike regular old Labyrinth, it does not contain David Bowie in a spandex jumpsuit...no Jennifer Connely either though

9/10

A Scanner Darkly

A Phillip K Dick story filmed with Rotoscoping technology, stars Keanu Reeves who amazingly does not say "whoa" (maybe he did and i'm so used to it) as an undercover cop hooked on "Substance D" Robert Downey Jr is really good in it, and it has Winona Ryder's cartoon boobs...and a pretty good ending. i was expecting more though

7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:05 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:also, unlike regular old Labyrinth, it does not contain David Bowie in a spandex jumpsuit...no Jennifer Connely either though

That movie was wacked.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:44 am

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:also, unlike regular old Labyrinth, it does not contain David Bowie in a spandex jumpsuit...no Jennifer Connely either though

That movie was wacked.

it's in my DVD collection between Dark Crystal and Legend (with Tom Cruise and Mia Sara of Ferris Bueller hotness)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:44 am

Pan's Labrynth 9/10 - best new movie I've seen in a while. Ultra violent and graphic. Don't let the title/previews fool you. This is a war movie first, fantasy second.

The Boondock Saints 6.5/10 - pretty entertaining but a lot of awkward dialogue. It just seems like they tried too hard. Worth a rental if you are into gangster movies.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pablo975 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:39 am

Jackass Number Two - 6/10

Funny as all get out, if their style works for you. Loses a few points on some of the weaker bits involving way too much man-gina on screen. :-o

The Illusionist - 8/10

A nice surprise. This moves a little slow at points, but is a great story with a great ending and awesome performances by Paul Giamatti and Ed Norton. Plus, anything with Jessica Biel gets an extra point right of the bat. Yum. :-D

This is one you can watch with your ladyfriend too since they love the period dramas. And no, that does not refer to menstrual situations. :*)

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:22 am

Saw 3 - 6/10

I love horror flicks. This one was extremely violent and gross to the max. Mindless but fun and stupid.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk