100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby phillyphan12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:09 pm

CadensDad wrote:
phillyphan12 wrote:John Q- 7/10

Only 7? I would have given it min. 8.5 or so, good storyline, good acting, good movie
\

Some Spoilers involved here for anyone who complains after the fact that i ruined the story

Excellent acting by Denzel and supporting actors weren`t bad either. Excellent story for 80% of the movie. I dropped it to a 7/10 because of the unbelievable scenerio in which someone magically dies with the same blood type and all as his son at the end. It would be an extremely depressing story if that didnt happen, yes, but the realism and statement the movie was trying to make would be heard much louder. Still definately worth a watch tho ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:Pride and Glory 5/10

Good acting but incredibly anachronistic and this causes it to lack, as Art would say :-b, verisimilitude. It's set in modern times but is a NY police corruption and racial strife story that stinks of the 1970s. The plot itself is decent, although very derivative, but completely falls apart in the final act that turns into melodrama and solves everything via a series of deux ex machinas.

Farrell was good, Norton overacts and Jon Voigt is ridiculous. Hate the story. Looks like someone watched We Own the Night and tried to change it around a little. Deux ex machinas? Do you pluralize both? I would have thought it would be deus ex machinas or deux ex machina. Pluralizing both is redundant ain't it? I vote for Tiger Woods ex machina?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I would have thought it would be deus ex machinas or deux ex machina. Pluralizing both is redundant ain't it? I vote for Tiger Woods ex machina?

I believe it is deus ex machinas. That was a typo not an attempt to pluralize. I didn't event know the pluralization of deus was deux. !+)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby phillyphan12 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:10 pm

Six Degrees of Seperation- 8.5/10 Will Smith`s first leading role in a film(released in 1993, just a little after the Fresh Prince years), and it didnt disappoint at all. Great acting and a very interesting plot.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyanK » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

Phatferd wrote:Boondock Saints 8/10

Very good story with great characters. There are a lot of things I love about these kinds of films. Lots of action, a good story and a moral dilemma. I loved how they got melodramatic at times with the detective and his way of investigating a scene. The scene where he is transposed in the street conducting a symphony as there is a gun battle playing out is awesome. The only thing that I didn't like was the end because it was just so unfeasible. There is no way unmasked men in a courtroom would ever get away with something like that.

one of my favorite movies

The International- 6.5/10

Was a good movie except for how slow moving it was, i found myself bored at times. Clive Owen plays a typical bad ass and there are some great action scenes but for the most part it dragged on. I think his new movie coming out with Julia Roberts will be really good
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 pm

RyanK wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Boondock Saints 8/10

Very good story with great characters. There are a lot of things I love about these kinds of films. Lots of action, a good story and a moral dilemma. I loved how they got melodramatic at times with the detective and his way of investigating a scene. The scene where he is transposed in the street conducting a symphony as there is a gun battle playing out is awesome. The only thing that I didn't like was the end because it was just so unfeasible. There is no way unmasked men in a courtroom would ever get away with something like that.

one of my favorite movies

one the most overrated movies of all time.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:45 pm

Pfft... Boondock Saints 8/10... Snakes Gould 1/10 }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:Pfft... Boondock Saints 8/10... Snakes Gould 1/10 }:-)

it was ok/solid. but people talk about it among some of the best movies of all time. its a joke.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:53 pm

That's the nature of cult films I guess. You're part of the cult and think it's great. Or you're not and can't understand the fuss.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby CadensDad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:11 am

Amazinz wrote:That's the nature of cult films I guess. You're part of the cult and think it's great. Or you're not and can't understand the fuss.

Kinda like the Blair Witch Project?

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk