Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby phillyphan12 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 am

Aussie asked for a movie review from me in the "I`m Drunk" thread, so I`m going to come thru on his request :-)

12 Monkeys-7.5/10 Watch this movie if for no other reason than to see Brad Pitt play a mental patient, and hes very convincing!

May have actually rated it higher if i wasnt so confused at times during it...remember i was posting in that other thread just a couple hrs ago :*)
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby C2ThaLo88 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:32 am

12 Monkeys was very confusing, watch it again and it'll make more sense.

Across the Universe: 9/10 Thought it was great.
C2ThaLo88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 am

Yeah 12 Monkeys gets better with subsequent viewings.

Lions for Lambs 7/10 Fresh (and unusual for the liberal machine that is Hollywood) take on the War on Terror with excellent acting. Redford is better now than he's ever been IMHO and that's saying a lot. Wish he'd do more movies. Anyway, the movie lacks a complete story/argument and it comes across feeling like an unfinished documentary.

The Day the Earth Stood Still 6/10 Went to see it at the cheap-o theater but probably could have waited for DVD considering how little action and special effects there were. The first act is great but it gets worse as it progresses and deviates from the original story. Not as in-your-face Global Warming propaganda as I was expecting so that was nice and Keanu hits another home run. Nobody does sans emotion like he does. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

Lucky Number Slevin 8.5/10
I really liked the twist at the end even though I saw it coming before it was exposed. It was a very well written script that was both funny and suspenseful at the same time, which is a hard thing to pull off. I have never been a Lucy Lui fan, but in this movie I developed a love affair with her.

Pineapple Express 7/10
This movie was entertaining enough and had enough stupid humor in it to amuse my juvenile mind. Unlike Lucky Number Slevin, they sacrificed more slapstick comedy to enhance their action film and it just didn't quite do it for me. I loved the characters and actually though James Franco did an excellent job with his character. Maybe I am comparing this to other Apatow films and this falls short of many of his other films.

The Rocker 6/10
I was really hoping this would be a surprise like for me. I didn't think it was going to be good, but I think I was secretly wanting to enjoy it because I love Rain Wilson. Maybe he will never live up to Dwight K. Schrute and therefore no matter what he does I will always feel unsatisfied by any work he does. The story was generic and actually very childlike. I think this tried a very School of Rock kind of thing and fell short. I loved School of Rock, but this movie just didn't do it for me. It was entertaining enough and I could sit through it so that is why it gets a 6.

Bottle Rocket 8/10
I love Wes Anderson and one thing he knows how to do is develop a character. Both Owen and Luke Wilson's characters were amazing. They were different in their own ways, but they mastered their roles for this film, which I believe was their first. The story was very generic, but the character development is what made this different than all of the other amateur crime caper films out there.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:42 am

Phatferd wrote:
Bottle Rocket 8/10
I love Wes Anderson and one thing he knows how to do is develop a character. Both Owen and Luke Wilson's characters were amazing. They were different in their own ways, but they mastered their roles for this film, which I believe was their first. The story was very generic, but the character development is what made this different than all of the other amateur crime caper films out there.

love me some Bottle Rocket ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby phillyphan12 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:05 pm

John Q- 7/10
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
Bottle Rocket 8/10

love me some Bottle Rocket ;-D

Yeah, I'm a fan of Bottle Rocket as well. I almost failed a broadcasting class in college for an incident that culminated with me saying "they'll never catch me...because I'm f*****g innocent" on air.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Pride and Glory 5/10

Good acting but incredibly anachronistic and this causes it to lack, as Art would say :-b, verisimilitude. It's set in modern times but is a NY police corruption and racial strife story that stinks of the 1970s. The plot itself is decent, although very derivative, but completely falls apart in the final act that turns into melodrama and solves everything via a series of deux ex machinas.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:04 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:John Q- 7/10

Only 7? I would have given it min. 8.5 or so, good storyline, good acting, good movie

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Phatferd » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Boondock Saints 8/10

Very good story with great characters. There are a lot of things I love about these kinds of films. Lots of action, a good story and a moral dilemma. I loved how they got melodramatic at times with the detective and his way of investigating a scene. The scene where he is transposed in the street conducting a symphony as there is a gun battle playing out is awesome. The only thing that I didn't like was the end because it was just so unfeasible. There is no way unmasked men in a courtroom would ever get away with something like that.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk