Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby CadensDad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:33 am

The Longshots 6/10

The movie about the female QB in pop warner football, It was above average, wasn't super crazy about it but was decent

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillyphan12 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Four Brothers -6.5/10
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:45 pm

The Ringer 6/10. This movie had promise, but it was just bad. Not funny, predictable, unrealistic. It's not that I expect dumb comedies featuring the guy from Jackass to be super realistic, but when it was discovered that he was a phony, he would have been disqualified from all of the events, which means the Jimmy guy, who came in second in the two events that Johnny Knoxville won, would have been granted first place points. He would have had four firsts and one second place finish in the pentathalon events and still won, meaning the uncle would have lost his bet, and the feel-good ending of the one guy winning the gold would never have happend. Plus there's no way the girl from Gray's Anatoamy would have gone for him after the stunt he pulled. Did we really need the cheesy, guy-gets-girl ending on top of the cheesy Disney ending, especially when neither ending was remotely close to realistic? No. We didn't. This movie seriously lacked verisimilitude.

Oh yeah, spoiler alerts.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This movie seriously lacked verisimilitude.

:-D

The biggest problem with that movie for me was that it pulled punches. It might have made you cringe (and laugh at the same time) but that premise should have been executed in a non-PC manner. Could have been a classic.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 pm

What happens in Las Vegas 6/10

It was entertaining and kept me in tune but it wasn't very funny. Ashton Kutcher hasn't been funny since his That 70s Show days. It was decent I suppose.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wright2Reyes » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm

Gran Torino

What an awesome movie.

The racist lines were great (what are you spooks up to? :-D ) and the best part was that he wasn't trying to be racist, he didn't hate them as people, he hates them for the way they portray themselves. The ending was sick, aside from him going into the house and putting a bullet between their eyes, no other way to go.

The supporting cast wasn't that great, which is reason why I can't give it a perfect score, it's very much an indie film, so some of the more amateurish acting doesn't really hurt the film, but Eastwood was spot on, he made the movie really good.

4/5
Last edited by Wright2Reyes on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:36 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This movie seriously lacked verisimilitude.

:-D

ha...verisimilitude is one of like three things I remember from the film criticism course I took in college. I throw it in once in a while when discussing movies so I not be so dumb.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:43 pm

Heh wasn't laughing at your vocabulary. Just thought it was funny because the premise suggests you won't be finding much realism... Johnny Knoxville does the Special Olympics... :*)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:49 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:Gran Torino

Holy censoring, Batman, what an awesome movie.

The racist lines were censoring, Batman, great (what are you spooks up to? laugh.gif) and the best part was that he wasn't trying to be racist, he didn't hate them as people, he hates them for the way they portray themselves. The ending was sick, aside from him going into the house and putting a bullet between their eyes, no other way to go.

The supporting cast wasn't that great, which is reason why I can't give it a perfect score, it's very much an indie film, so some of the more amateurish acting doesn't really hurt the film, but Eastwood was spot on, he made the movie really good.

4/5

it was funny for about 15 minutes, then the fact that there was no plot and the dialogue was horrible took over and i couldnt even finish it.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Amazinz wrote:Heh wasn't laughing at your vocabulary. Just thought it was funny because the premise suggests you won't be finding much realism... Johnny Knoxville does the Special Olympics... :*)

Yeah...sometimes I wonder why I let stuff like that bother me, but I can't help it. I can suspend reality enough to let a film frame it's own "reality," so to speak, but it still has to act within it's own framework. I remember watching one of the Jurassic Parks a few years ago, I had no problem whatsoever with the fact that a Tyrannosaurus Rex was attacking San Diego, but the part where a Mercedes station wagon pulled a bus back up a cliff after it fell over pissed me off.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk