Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:43 pm

laxguy8947 wrote:I saw Smokin' Aces last night. I'd give it 8/10. It wasn't at all what I expected. It's more than just an action flick...in some places it gets pretty whacky. There's no way you could watch it and not enjoy it though. It moves rapidly and the entire time my friends and I were trying to guess the next move--I don't think we were right once. So go see it--you'll be surprisingly impressed ;-D

Smokin Aces got a surprisingly bad review as well. I'll probably catch when it hits HBO or something, but I doubt I'll rush out and see it.

Now, as for Pan's Labyrinth; I give it an 8/10 but I think I rate movies a little differently than most here do. For me, anything 7/10 or higher is a movie worth seeing, with that 10/10 being reserved for movies that I can only consider to be beyond excellence. Pan's Labyrinth was unbelievable though; it was unique, incredibly creepy, and told its story in a compelling way. It's not for the faint of heart. It deals specifically with the horrors of reality, rather than that of fantasy as I initially thought. A few people walked out in the first 5 minutes presumably because they didn't realize it had subtitles. I'm thoroughly baffled by this, but that's just me.

I'd expect it to win best foreign film.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Coppermine wrote:There's some great movies coming out this month yet... Epic Movie looks like it would make Mel Brooks proud, Blood & Chocolate looks GREAT because we're not getting enough vampire movies lately, The Messengers looks awesome since it's been advertised for the past month already and we were all patiently waiting for a horror film where the title is "The <Fill in random noun>" And Norbit, man, it's about time Eddie Murphy did another movie where he plays a fat person... man, that stuff is soooooooooooo funny. So, anyone want to catch the #1 movie in America two weeks in a row, Stomp the Yard! Hell yes!

I'm really hoping my sarcasm detector is just on the fritz.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:08 pm

I saw Clint Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima and thought it was amazing and should win Best Picture of the Year. This is the second movie to Flags of our Fathers. Letters tells the story of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective and has some incredible acting. there were alot of people leaving the theater choked up when it was finished.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:11 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Coppermine wrote:There's some great movies coming out this month yet... Epic Movie looks like it would make Mel Brooks proud, Blood & Chocolate looks GREAT because we're not getting enough vampire movies lately, The Messengers looks awesome since it's been advertised for the past month already and we were all patiently waiting for a horror film where the title is "The <Fill in random noun>" And Norbit, man, it's about time Eddie Murphy did another movie where he plays a fat person... man, that stuff is soooooooooooo funny. So, anyone want to catch the #1 movie in America two weeks in a row, Stomp the Yard! Hell yes!

I did leave out the faces, but if you couldn't detect any sarcasm there, then you need to get a new sarcasm detector :-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sportsguy138 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Snakes on a Plane is soooooo garbage.
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:08 am

Munich - 8/10. It is such a weird movie but following the assassins around the world as they try to find each person was very nicely done. I don't think it was Spielberg's best work but definitely engrossing. THere were some boring parts but overall, it was an enjoyable movie.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:35 am

Coppermine wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

I did leave out the faces, but if you couldn't detect any sarcasm there, then you need to get a new sarcasm detector :-D

Yeah. And if that doesn't work try electroshock therapy... }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:00 am

The breakup 6.5/10.

Not bad had some funny parts, but the end was horrible and it wasn't as good as i thought it might be
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ThatDude » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:03 am

Coppermine wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

I picked up a hint or two of sarcasm, but something like that should have sent it off the scale. I might need to upgrade to the newer model.

Even though I have never actually known anyone that watches any of that crap, somebody has to, or else they wouldn't keep churning that excrement out.

Statistically speaking, every movie mentioned in that paragraph will be seen by at least one person registered on this site, and they will even pay for that "privilege".

Just double checking to make sure you weren't one of those people. Can't be too careful in situations like that.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:04 am

Norton is also one of my favorite actors, but I never caught Primal Fear. Can someone tell me what it is about?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk