Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:01 pm

J35J wrote:Since I've been following this thread I've realized movie rating is about as big of a waste of time as you can get....in terms of trying to get anything out of it personally. What is a top 5 type movie to one person is unwatchable to another person. There is no such thing as a terrible movie and what is a great movie....it's all personal opinion and what interests you. I never really realized this until following this thread. I thought there was generally a consensus on what was good and what was bad but that simply isn't the case....obviously.

Anyone who thought Hard Boiled was a bore automatically loses their rating credentials in my book. :-]
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:05 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Expected Nominations...

But Frost/Nixon really?
I mean I have not seen it but the people I know who have seen it say it comes very short of what an Oscar movie should be.

I heard The Reader was on the fringes too. Some really interesting Best Picture nominations, given that The Dark Knight and The Wrestler were worth a shout.

I haven't seen Frost/Nixon but when I saw the trailer, I seriously thought the guy portraying Nixon did a hilariously bad voice impersonation of Nixon. I'll probably have to see that and The Reader, but in general, I don't care much for those kinds of films.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I have found that I usually agree with IMDB on movies were there are a substantial number of votes. There are of course exceptions like Vanilla Sky where I can't understand the low rating or Adaptation where I can't understand the high rating. But for the most part and particularly when I find my niche in the demographic ratings, they are close so rating movies is useful for me. It's harder here because you have young posters and old(er) posters. You can't expect to always like what they like because they are filtering the movie through less experiences and not yet fully developed brains. :-D

Heath Ledger is a lock for BSA. Just from a cynical point of view, there is no way the Academy passes up this opportunity to theatrically honor his life. I do think he deserves it (based on the movies I've seen at least) but I don't think that will be the motivation behind him getting it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:I have found that I usually agree with IMDB on movies were there are a substantial number of votes. There are of course exceptions like Vanilla Sky where I can't understand the low rating or Adaptation where I can't understand the high rating. But for the most part and particularly when I find my niche in the demographic ratings, they are close so rating movies is useful for me. It's harder here because you have young posters and old(er) posters. You can't expect to always like what they like because they are filtering the movie through less experiences and not yet fully developed brains. :-D

Heath Ledger is a lock for BSA. Just from a cynical point of view, there is no way the Academy passes up this opportunity to theatrically honor his life. I do think he deserves it (based on the movies I've seen at least) but I don't think that will be the motivation behind him getting it.

yeah...IMDB is pretty accurate to my tastes as well

i have my doubts Heath will win...i still see the Academy as a bunch of stodgy old farts who will go with Hoffman or Brolin in a more "traditional" role
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm

I really hope Ledger doesn't win.
The love and bum-kissing for him over here just because he's dead and Australian is sickening and ghey.

He was miscast in a couple of masculine roles (I think Ned Kelly was one) where he was just too girly to pull it off. :-t :-t :-t :-t
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:29 pm

I really don't get the Brolin nomination. I really like him has an actor but despite playing the character who murders Milk, his role is underdeveloped IMHO.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:50 pm

Anyone read anything about Stallone's new movie, The Expendables (currently in pre-production according to IMDB)? It appears to be a throwback to 80s style action flicks. But check out this cast: Ben Kingsley, Forest Whitaker, Sylvester Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture and Dolph Lungren. This could be the most kick-ass action movie of all time. Just missing a little Keanu. :-L
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:27 pm

Amazinz wrote:Anyone read anything about Stallone's new movie, The Expendables (currently in pre-production according to IMDB)? It appears to be a throwback to 80s style action flicks. But check out this cast: Ben Kingsley, Forest Whitaker, Sylvester Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Randy Couture and Dolph Lungren. This could be the most kick-ass action movie of all time. Just missing a little Keanu. :-L

I saw this too, and I must say it is gonna be flippin amazing.
Or at least it sounds that way. ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:01 am

I'm halfway through my third viewing of Wall-E.

Shut up. :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Chicago 2 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:31 am

Eagleeye was just terrible imo.

Really enjoyed Benjamin Button, it starts slow but its an interesting and feel good storyline.

My Bloody Valentine was terrible, didn't seem like it was 3D to me, stuff popped out but not that much. The killing scenes were awesome but I just really didn't like the 3D which ruined it for me.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk