Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:38 pm

Ebert's list is a great find. One movie I might want to rediscover from that list is Au Revoir, Les Enfants. I've only seen it once, a long time ago for a French high school course, and as poignant as it was, I didn't thoroughly appreciate it for the time even though I'd agree it was a fairly good film in its own right.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:15 pm

They Shoot Pictures takes hundreds of sources to create one top 1000 movies list. I don't think it's been updated in awhile though since the newest movie is from 2003.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films.htm
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:01 am

Notorious 8/10

Solid biopic about Biggie Smalls that seemed to be right on as far as accuracy and getting a feel for the kind of person Chris Wallace was and what he went through in his short but amazing life. A must see for any Biggie fan, and a solid watch for anyone else as well. ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:57 am

i watched revolutionary road last night. im not really sure what to think about it. the plot was pretty dull. a fighting married couple who are unhappy with life. but there wasnt really much change throughout. there was no character development at all. they were actually the same from beginning to end. i will say this though. the acting was very very good. i dont know why dicaprio wasnt nominated for a golden globe, but he should have. winslet won the award for best actress, and leo was better than she was in my opinion. id give the movie a 6/10 i guess.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigLebowski » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:51 pm

Burn After Reading - Another quality flick from the Coen Bros. At their best they can develope character like no other. This isn't their best work, there were too many characters involved and I didn't get bang for the buck I was wanting. The humor that is the Coen staple is there and I did appreciate that. I really liked the Brad Pitt character, he played that well and Clooney did a good job too. Frances McDormand is the perfect actor for any and all Coen pictures. ;-D ;-D to her. Malkovich did what he does so well, so you won't be dissapointed with his character. 7/10 from me. It ended before I was ready otherwise I would have given it an 8/10. It is no Lebowski, but a good flick none-the-less.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:Notorious 8/10

Solid biopic about Biggie Smalls that seemed to be right on as far as accuracy and getting a feel for the kind of person Chris Wallace was and what he went through in his short but amazing life. A must see for any Biggie fan, and a solid watch for anyone else as well. ;-D

While I want to see that movie, a 2Pac biography would be so much more interesting. 2Pac's life story (Black Panther mother gave birth 1 month after getting out of jail, elite schooling, crackhead mother, multiple shootings, #1 record while in jail, etc, etc). Even if he were still alive, it seems like his story would be an awesome biopic.

Biggie just seemed like a fat guy who sold drugs that could rap. Had he not been killed, I don't see why anyone would care about his bio.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:15 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:

While I want to see that movie, a 2Pac biography would be so much more interesting. 2Pac's life story (Black Panther mother gave birth 1 month after getting out of jail, elite schooling, crackhead mother, multiple shootings, #1 record while in jail, etc, etc). Even if he were still alive, it seems like his story would be an awesome biopic.

Biggie just seemed like a fat guy who sold drugs that could rap. Had he not been killed, I don't see why anyone would care about his bio.

I want to see the flick but what pisses me off is in the preview they say at the end "The greatest rapper of all time."

Please. :-t
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:31 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:

yea, i agree that a `Pac movie would be more interesting and probably should have been done first, seeing as how he was well known before Biggie was and all...as far as what Metroid said,I agree hes not the greatest rapper ever but he definately makes my top 10 and probably top 5, id have to sit and think about it. :-?
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:36 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:...as far as what Metroid said,I agree hes not the greatest rapper ever but he definately makes my top 10 and probably top 5, id have to sit and think about it. :-?

Absolutely....just add the words "One of" to the beginning of "The greatest rapper of all time." and an "s" to "rapper" and I don't have a problem with it at all. ;-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Just watched Paths of Glory. I enjoyed it. It was a ton better than most of the drivel that gets made these days, but I couldn't really compare it to my recent favorites. As you guys said, it just needs to be enjoyed for what it was, which I did. The movie really combined two types of movies I like with the war aspect and the trial aspect. It also flowed together really well. I liked how they tied in the scene with the three men going on the scout mission where the captain(?) killed his own man because of his own cowardice and then chose the other man he was with who knew what he had done to be on trial. Then how Colonel Dax forced the captain to head the firing squad when he found out what had happened so that the captain would have to face the guilt of putting a man on trial for something he did himself.

My one criticism of the film was how the general seemed so adament for the first 5 minutes of the film that he was sending the troops of a suicide mission and how he values the life of one man more than he values an extra star or a promotion or anything else. Then 5 seconds later he starts to think how if any men could do it, it would be his men, and all the sudden he seems like this completely different character who couldn't care less about the life of many men as can be seen by him sending them on the mission, ordering artillery on his own men, and sending the three men to death.

Anyways some of that may be hard to follow, but its kinda difficult to put into words what i'm trying to say without it being somewhat confusing. I give it an 8.5/10.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk