Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:49 pm

mweir145 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:You two amuse me like Koko B. Ware amused Andre the Giant, like the Philly secondary amused Larry Fitzgerald, like the Bruins amuse the Canadiens.

The Bruins are way better than the Canadiens. They've beaten them 3 times this year, I believe, including once last week.

You make a post like this:

mweir145 wrote:It will be Baltimore and Philly in the Super Bowl. And I don't think the Eagles will have any problem at all with Arizona.

and still you chirp?

What is it in your chemical make up that requires you to come back for more? Please sign your donor card so that when the day comes (and it will) that you chirp at the wrong guy in a bar, science can open up your head to find out what causes this malignant case of Darcy Tucker that you have.

wrt the Bruins/Canadiens - the Habs have won 24 Stanley Cups - that's more than a quarter of all of the Stanley Cups ever won. The Bruins have won 5. So they are ok right now. In truth they are an abysmal franchise. In the last nine seasons they have either not made the playoffs or have been eliminated by the Habs (except for 03 when the Devils had the honour). The Bruins have not been to the finals since 1990 and have not won since 1972 - the Habs have won 7 Cups since then. The Habs are the superior franchise, always have been. The Habs are the class of the NHL, always have been.

So yeah, right now the Bruins are ahead of the Habs in the standings but pointing that out is like Demps crowing about defending a pass to Fitz while they are replaying him getting burned for a TD on the jumbotron.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 pm

I tried to watch the Wizard of Oz last week against my will and still think it is an awful movie. 35 years old and I've never been able to sit through that entire movie including this time. Awful movie, very boring, and gets way too much credit. 2/10. :-t
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:02 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:You make a post like this:
and still you chirp?

My football prognosticating skills (or lack thereof) has nothing to do with the fact that the Bruins have owned the Canadiens this year, and will continue to do so as far as I can tell.

What is it in your chemical make up that requires you to come back for more? Please sign your donor card so that when the day comes (and it will) that you chirp at the wrong guy in a bar, science can open up your head to find out what causes this malignant case of Darcy Tucker that you have.

I think I'll be fine Mookie, I'm much bigger than Darcy Tucker. :-b

wrt the Bruins/Canadiens - the Habs have won 24 Stanley Cups - that's more than a quarter of all of the Stanley Cups ever won. The Bruins have won 5. So they are ok right now. In truth they are an abysmal franchise. In the last nine seasons they have either not made the playoffs or have been eliminated by the Habs (except for 03 when the Devils had the honour). The Bruins have not been to the finals since 1990 and have not won since 1972 - the Habs have won 7 Cups since then. The Habs are the superior franchise, always have been. The Habs are the class of the NHL, always have been.

So your team has a pretty good history, just like the Leafs. Sounds like the kind of argument Yankees fans are making to Sox fans right now. Weak.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 am

I can't stand the majority of movies that I have seen that were made in the last 10 years.
Nowadays they can't cast appropriate villains and good guys properly, they can't tell a story properly, and a lot of films are just special effects extravaganzas, which is about exciting to me as watching paint dry (which also means you've seen 3/4s of the movie in the previews/ads).

My biggest pet peeve would probably be casting, I hate when the good guy is some no-charisma loser that I don't care about, or the villain is about as threatening as a wet newspaper.

My top 5, I mean 7:

#1 Dirty Harry (a must see for all red-blooded males) ;-D

and then a mixture of

Goldfinger
The Good The Bad And The Ugly
Once Were Warriors
The Spy Who Loved Me
Magnum Force
The Enforcer

;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
jlm53089 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
sick read, i guess it has something to do with not being able to sit through movies that suck that incredibly bad.

You sir are insane.

What next Midnight Cowboy sucks too?

never seen it, but if you're lumping it in with the other two, then it probably does.

you're the only one Joe ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:you're the only one Joe ;-7

i guess i've just been lucky
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby wake » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Metroid wrote:Pretty decent list from the American Film Institute.
http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0760906.html
Still has Taxi Driver too low in my opinion, but I can't argue against most of the films ahead of it. :-?

My problem with the AFI lists is that they're preferential towards the older movies. 39 of the movies in the top 50 were made before 1970. I'm sure Intolerance was a good movie for its time, but I have a hard time believing a 1916 silent film is more enjoyable than 50 of the other millions of movies out there that have dialogue.

On the other hand, IMDB's list is too biased towards the newest movies. Does anyone have a good list that falls somewhere in the middle? I think it would be interesting to try and watch all the top 25 or 50 movies that I've never seen.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Yes Ebert's books, which are really great reads for movie buffs IMHO. Unfortunately I don't think much of them is published online. He does a great job of respecting movie history without biasing against the newer films. He also has great essays on why some of the films he rates great for historical reasons no longer work for modern audiences (like the Maltese Falcon).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:Yes Ebert's books, which are really great reads for movie buffs IMHO. Unfortunately I don't think much of them is published online. He does a great job of respecting movie history without biasing against the newer films. He also has great essays on why some of the films he rates great for historical reasons no longer work for modern audiences (like the Maltese Falcon).

Roger Ebert does have a great resource online, his great movie list, where he writes reviews for the greatest movies of all-time.
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... vies_intro
Here is the entire list:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... list_print
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:29 pm

Nice find. I've been to that site quite a bit and never realized that was there. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk