Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:27 am

Gran Torino: 1/10

the only reason it gets a 1 is because clint eastwood is awesome and the first 15 minutes of the movie are pretty good. I walked out after the first hour and a half or so because it was just so incredibly bad. there literally is no plot, the acting (besides eastwood) is absolutely abysmal. the dialogue is some of the worst i've ever heard, most of the dialogue is just "on-the-nose" which basically means it was completely unnecessary. it was either implied by previous dialogue or was information that was easily obtained just by watching the actions in the movie. the writers obviously need to read something like this for some tips on how to not suck: http://www.helium.com/items/128-how-to-avoid-quoton-the-nosequot-dialogue.

the entire movie is basically focused around one character and absolutely nothing happens for the large majority of the movie. i think racism is just as funny as the next guy, but they basically just tried to carry the movie on random racial slurs. the character development is horrible as well, clint eastwood basically starts the movie as a guy that doesn't even want "gooks" on his lawn, and then 10 minutes later he's going over to their house because he ran out of beer? i mean come on, the movie isn't even trying. i seriously don't even know how the movie could have ended only 25 minutes after i left. it felt like i was 15 minutes into the movie at that point, but it took an hour and 30 minutes to get there. there's literally an hour and 15 minutes of absolutely NOTHING. taking an old racist man and having him be-friend the people he hates, does not make a movie deep. please explain to me what was possibly to like about this movie, because it's one of the worst movies i've ever seen. the fact that this movie got a 76% on rotten tomatoes just blow my mind, how can someone be so bad at something they do professionally to think that this movie doesn't suck. also please don't tell me that i can't judge the movie because i didn't finish watching it. i watched an hour and a half of absolute garbage, it doesn't matter how the movie ends. it was really, really bad.
Last edited by GiantsFan14 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 pm

Gran Torino- 7/10

How the movie ends is actually critical to understanding its purpose, what with the themes of self-sacrifice and redemption. It wasn't a great movie, certainly, but I enjoyed it (especially watching Eastwood act in this role).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Horrible writer huh? OK. :-S

Yup. I said it. B-) Somebody has to.

He is not the best writer out there, but he blows away Cormac McCarthy.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:19 pm

To each his own but I think most would agree that NCFOM and The Road are masterpieces vastly superior to anything King has written. I don't mean to hate. I'm a King fan but still...
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:06 pm

Amazinz wrote:To each his own but I think most would agree that NCFOM and The Road are masterpieces vastly superior to anything King has written. I don't mean to hate. I'm a King fan but still...

I have read those books and they struck me as pretentious, but i know many people did enjoy them. I would not really call King a great writer, but his stuff is at least enjoyable to read.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:02 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
i think clint eastwood may be one of my least favorite actors on the surface. i cant say ive seen many of his movies,

Are you freaking serious?

The first 3 Dirty Harry movies (especially the first one which is my all-time number one) are probably my favourite movies ever. Also The Good The Bad And The Ugly is superb.

If you haven't seen these 4 then I suggest you get your A into gear and go get them.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:52 pm

mirrors
7/10
Some parts made no sense and it had the single most disturbing part of any movie i have ever seen. If your looking for a freaking movie give it a shot. It got terrible reviews though

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
i think clint eastwood may be one of my least favorite actors on the surface. i cant say ive seen many of his movies,

Are you freaking serious?

The first 3 Dirty Harry movies (especially the first one which is my all-time number one) are probably my favourite movies ever. Also The Good The Bad And The Ugly is superb.

If you haven't seen these 4 then I suggest you get your A into gear and go get them.

the good, the bad, and the ugly is indeed awesome. the soundtrack by ennio morricone is especially sweet.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Mugrila » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:03 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:the good, the bad, and the ugly is indeed awesome. the soundtrack by ennio morricone is especially sweet.

I have both, and I agree. Ecstasy of Gold is amazing.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk