Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I thought Misery was an excellent movie. Dreamcatcher has to be one of the worst movies I've ever seen, though.

I probably should have chosen better words. More like "most" of his books. The problem is that the genre he is known for (horror, sci-fi'ish) make bad movies, and his dramas are much much better. There are only a few of his horror movies that I would deem as better than average - The Shining and Pet Cemetery.

But look at all the good movies of his when he stepped outside the genre - Misery, The Running Man, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, The Dead Zone, and Dolores Claiborne.

Metroid wrote:Horrible writer huh? OK. :-S

Yup. I said it. B-) Somebody has to.

King is a very good writer. There are a few clunkers (From a Buick 8, the Dark Tower series) but he is one of the most creative and influential writers ever. His non-fiction is especially great - On Writing and Secret Windows are essential reading for anyone who wants to write.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:King is a very good writer. There are a few clunkers (From a Buick 8, the Dark Tower series) but he is one of the most creative and influential writers ever. His non-fiction is especially great - On Writing and Secret Windows are essential reading for anyone who wants to write.

Influential? Yes. Creative? Yes. But a good writer? I don't overly think so. His short works are very well done, but I equate his novels to something along the lines of fast food. But obviously, he's well loved. Being the best selling author on the planet has to mean something to some people. Just based on how I evaluate literature, I don't think he's very good, that's all.

But speaking of movies and Stephen King, I just saw The Mist the other night. Pretty corny and predictable, but not overly terrible. Probably 5/10.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Just to flat out call him a Horrible writer is pretty laughable. Obviously you don't care for his work and thats fine, but King is far from a horrible writer.

Oh and The Mist(film) was crap in my opinion. %-6
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:39 pm

The way I look at it is that there is a distinction between writer and storyteller. They don't always go hand in hand. I don't think King is a great writer in the classic sense but he is one of the great storytellers and his writing is good enough to relay those stories.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:King is a very good writer. There are a few clunkers (From a Buick 8, the Dark Tower series) but he is one of the most creative and influential writers ever. His non-fiction is especially great - On Writing and Secret Windows are essential reading for anyone who wants to write.

Influential? Yes. Creative? Yes. But a good writer? I don't overly think so. His short works are very well done, but I equate his novels to something along the lines of fast food. But obviously, he's well loved. Being the best selling author on the planet has to mean something to some people. Just based on how I evaluate literature, I don't think he's very good, that's all.

But speaking of movies and Stephen King, I just saw The Mist the other night. Pretty corny and predictable, but not overly terrible. Probably 5/10.

Out of curiosity have you read Cujo, The Shining, The Dead Zone or any of his non fiction? These are extremely well written. He's incredibly prolific so there are bound to be clunkers in there. He's also been in a coma after being hit by a car and is a Red Sox fan so there are some obvious mental issues there. People seem to remember the clunkers and also give him a bad rap b/c there have been some horribly terrible film adaptations of his works. Ellmore Leonard is a bad writer, Dan Brown is a horrible writer. Stephen King is a very good writer.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 275)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:04 pm

The Wrestler was overrated.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm

I'm really, really glad the end of IT the book wasn't in the movie. :-S I really didn't know what to think of it, and I still don't.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:26 am

The Wackness - a young teen sells pot in 1994 NYC and his best customer is his aging hipster shrink (played by Ben Kingsley), who also may be his best friend...oh, and he wants to bang his step-daughter. great soundtrack (early 90's Bigge, Tribe, etc) and pretty good story overall...
7.5/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:The Wackness - a young teen sells pot in 1994 NYC and his best customer is his aging hipster shrink (played by Ben Kingsley), who also may be his best friend...oh, and he wants to bang his step-daughter. great soundtrack (early 90's Bigge, Tribe, etc) and pretty good story overall...
7.5/10

Is that the one where Kingsley makes out with one of the Olsen twins?
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Yea they made out. I gave it 6/10 on IMDB. I didn't really like the movie but didn't dislike it either, if that makes any sense. I thought the lead was terrible and the soundtrack (not the songs themselves, but the use) is overbearing, like the soundtrack becomes the focal point. Ben Kingsley is amazing as usual though which is probably why I liked-it-sort-of.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk