Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:21 pm

You're right, there was a definite change in the movie in the last 40 minutes or so, but I'm not sure it's nearly as bad as you say it is (or bad at all for that matter). It seemed to fall right in line with the theme of destiny/fate that they had been running with the entire movie from the first scene. An anticlimatic, saccharine ending for you seems to have been a fairly satisfying one for me (and seemingly many others).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Yes Man- 8/10 Very enjoyable comedy movie that was exactly what i was in the mood for tonight. Jim Carrey did a really nice job here ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 am

mweir145 wrote:You're right, there was a definite change in the movie in the last 40 minutes or so, but I'm not sure it's nearly as bad as you say it is (or bad at all for that matter). It seemed to fall right in line with the theme of destiny/fate that they had been running with the entire movie from the first scene. An anticlimatic, saccharine ending for you seems to have been a fairly satisfying one for me (and seemingly many others).

Here's the difference, though, between you and seemingly many others and me: I know what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, I think the build up and hype and my own expectations are why I was so dissapointed with the film. It wasn't a bad movie, per se, it just wasn't as good as everyone made it out to be and I expected it to be.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby phillyphan12 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:28 am

Meet Bill- 7.5/10 Comedy starring Aaron Eckhart(Harvey Dent from TDK) as the titular character...was poorly received by critics but i thought it was a fun movie thats worth a watch if you`re bored. Besides, Jessica Alba is a supporting actor in the movie and that guarentees any film at least a 7/10 in my book :-)
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:23 am

WALL-E amazing animation, good story...no real complaints (other than i hate when people make up an acronym and then make up the words that comprise it...that's just a total misuse of acronyms...but i guess the movie wouldnt have done as well if it was called Garbage-Bot). i was expecting more pollitical commentary (like Pixars most famous propaganda Monsters Inc AKA Down With Big Oil) so i was pleasantly surprised there
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby phillyphan12 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Detroit Rock City- 9/10 Absolute Classic
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby phillyphan12 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:56 am

Gran Torino-9/10 Incredible movie and a great performance from Clint Eastwood. The only other drama from 2008 i`ve seen that can compare is The Wrestler. This is definately a must see ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:06 am

phillyphan12 wrote:Gran Torino-9/10 Incredible movie and a great performance from Clint Eastwood. The only other drama from 2008 i`ve seen that can compare is The Wrestler. This is definately a must see ;-D

Meh, I wasn't that thrilled with it. I would give it a 6/10.

I could have sworn that I saw this movie a few years ago and it was called Crash; which did a far better job portraying stereotypes and ignorance. I just didn't buy Eastwood's character. I could live without the dog snarls he did or the corny one-liners. I would watch this movie again as it is watchable, but I just don't think it was any great cinematic feat. One of the things I enjoyed was Eastwood's character and how we grew to love and admire the grumpy old man, but they could have done without some of the forced dialogue that made it uncomfortable at times.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 am

The Wrestler- 9/10

One of the more affecting films I've seen in a long time, and it may just be Aronofsky's best yet. Mickey Rourke also does a great job acting here in a role that's perfect for him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby DbacksRback » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:39 pm

the wrestler 9/10
Dreamcatcher- 2/10 nevermind i take away those 2 and give it a 0/10 I was being too nice. one of the worst movies I have ever seen %-6

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk