Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:25 pm

jfg wrote:I have Burn After Reading but haven't got around to watching it yet. It looks like most their movies- good script but not as good of characters as their three movie stretch from 96-00. But, I can't say anything until I actually see it but I'm not really itching to watch. I'm sure it'll be good but not great like Fargo, Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou. That could be the best three consecutive movie stretch ever.

That's good, but a better trio would be:

Raising Arizona
Miller's Crossing (their best)
Barton Fink
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
jfg wrote:I have Burn After Reading but haven't got around to watching it yet. It looks like most their movies- good script but not as good of characters as their three movie stretch from 96-00. But, I can't say anything until I actually see it but I'm not really itching to watch. I'm sure it'll be good but not great like Fargo, Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou. That could be the best three consecutive movie stretch ever.

Raising Arizona
Barton Fink

I just don't get Raising Arizona....very over-rated in my opinion...I was barely able to get through that flick.

Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Fargo
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 450)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
Big Lebowski

I would have never guessed.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 pm

BigLebowski wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Raising Arizona
Barton Fink

I just don't get Raising Arizona....very over-rated in my opinion...I was barely able to get through that flick.

Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Fargo

Sure, but those 3 aren't consecutive.

The best 3 overall are IMO
Miller's Crossing
Lebowski
No Country
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:31 am

Slumdog Millionaire: 9/10

While it was an incredibly original story, some parts really did remind me of City of God (which, if you've seen it, isn't a bad thing). Also, I'd say this is the best of the Danny Boyle movies that I've seen, which is also high praise. The visuals were impressive, and the acting was also superb. Boyle was able to tie together the main character's life experiences with his time on Millionaire in a very interesting way, and it made for a great ending, IMO.

Slumdog Millionaire definitely lived up to the hype for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did in fact win the Oscar.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:35 am

I thought Burn After Reading was pretty funny, BTW. Not the Coen brothers' best, but certainly not their worst either.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 am

BigLebowski wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Raising Arizona
Barton Fink

Big Lebowski
Miller's Crossing
Fargo

those would be my top 3 as well...Miller's Crossing is awesome

other than that i've seen
Raising Arizona ;-D
Barton Fink :-/
O Brother ;-D
No Country ;-D ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:06 pm

mweir145 wrote:Slumdog Millionaire: 9/10

While it was an incredibly original story, some parts really did remind me of City of God (which, if you've seen it, isn't a bad thing). Also, I'd say this is the best of the Danny Boyle movies that I've seen, which is also high praise. The visuals were impressive, and the acting was also superb. Boyle was able to tie together the main character's life experiences with his time on Millionaire in a very interesting way, and it made for a great ending, IMO.

Slumdog Millionaire definitely lived up to the hype for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did in fact win the Oscar.

I had high hopes for this movie, but was extremely let down. Boyle failed to get it done again, as he has with every film since Trainspotting. Really, here's the thing about Slumdog Millionaire: it wasn't a good movie. It was a classic example of a film that accidentally hit an impressive peak in the first 45 minutes and then fell victim to a director who wasn't good enough to take the story anywhere interesting. The culture of Bombay is ridiculously fascinating and provides more than ample material to write a compelling story (check out Maximum City), which seemed inevitable in the first part of the movie. Then suddenly we get a hokey love story with an anticlimactic, saccharine ending, and a really lame game show plot device, complete with almost-missed cell phone calls and the ridiculous and offensively simplistic death of his brother. That movie gets the bozack. It seemed like a love story written by a 14-year-old who has never been kissed. The plot was great until it stopped making sense and spiralled into the Legend of Zelda. The acting was great until all the characters became grownups, at which point the movie became an EXTREME music video. It's just not that good a movie and I don't understand why it got all this acclaim. I think all the critics I heard raving about it stopped watching after 75 minutes.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:58 pm

[/quote]
I had high hopes for this movie, but was extremely let down. Boyle failed to get it done again, as he has with every film since Trainspotting. Really, here's the thing about Slumdog Millionaire: it wasn't a good movie. It was a classic example of a film that accidentally hit an impressive peak in the first 45 minutes and then fell victim to a director who wasn't good enough to take the story anywhere interesting. The culture of Bombay is ridiculously fascinating and provides more than ample material to write a compelling story (check out Maximum City), which seemed inevitable in the first part of the movie. Then suddenly we get a hokey love story with an anticlimactic, saccharine ending, and a really lame game show plot device, complete with almost-missed cell phone calls and the ridiculous and offensively simplistic death of his brother. That movie gets the bozack. It seemed like a love story written by a 14-year-old who has never been kissed. The plot was great until it stopped making sense and spiralled into the Legend of Zelda. The acting was great until all the characters became grownups, at which point the movie became an EXTREME music video. It's just not that good a movie and I don't understand why it got all this acclaim. I think all the critics I heard raving about it stopped watching after 75 minutes.
[/quote]

I agree with those sentiments exactly, hence my 6.5 rating...I just didn :-t t see this movie as anything special. Certainly not Oscar-caliber in my mind.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Legend of Zelda? What's so bad about that? 10/10! :-D

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk