Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Oh my gawd I actually went to the movies :-o (shock horror)

Quantum Of Solace - 4/10

Not my favourite.
Too shoot-em-uppy for my liking. Also, they seemed to have dumbed down Bond - he is killing people who could have valuable information now, as opposed to mostly hired goons.
Daniel Craig = OK as Bond, but uses his gun way way more then I'm used to.

They need to do better next time.

Well, they wanted to show that Bond was still flawed, in putting his temper or his own sense of justice ahead of the mission. I didn't really mind that. I don't mind the action scenes, but the choreography was godawful and like I said before, the plot really lacked direction.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:No Country For Old Men - 9/10

I've seen it already a few times, but someone gave it to me for Christmas on Blu-ray which was kind of unnecessary given this film doesn't display the best audio facets of Blu-ray. At any rate, I reckon NCFOM is one of those polemic films in every facet. The film itself is probably an 8/10 but I think the impact makes it a 9. I enjoyed the slow burn pace probably more than some are willing to take as it really suits Anton Chigurh. Some folks hated the ending but I think it actually ended up in the most ideal way. By film's end, the underlying themes of destiny and luck are wrapped up nicely, albeit in a subtle and jerking fashion. The last 15-20 minutes or so, which some people think seem disjointed, really completes it, I'd say.

i hated NCFOM... really slow with a bunch of pointless scenes and pointless dialogue that did nothing to advance the plot. honestly, i didn't even finish it because it was just that boring. i think it's one of those movies that people try to make seem deep, when in reality it just sucked.

I don't think the scenes, dialogue, and every little nuance was pointless, even if it's made to seem that way. I can understand NCFOM isn't for everybody given that the film is like a slow-acting toxin where by the end, you don't know if it's ever kicked in until you start to realize the ending really made the useless scenes actually significant. I actually don't think the film's themes are too deep, but the way it's presented makes it feel deep.

I think to say "people try to make seem deep, when in reality it just sucked" is a foolish thing to say, and I couldn't stand the movie. My sister has been dating somebody in the movie business for about 2 years, and he was trying to explain all the hub bub about the movie, and how it appeals so incredibly to movie people, with the very purposeful pacing, the camera angles used, and things of that nature. He calls it one of the best movies he's ever seen, but said that it's fully understandable that somebody like myself, who isn't looking for the same things he is in a movie, would hate it. The movie appeals to certain types of people, including those in the film industry, as well as those who are looking in a movie for what NCFOM offered. I, however, was bored to death by it, so much so that I won't even give it a 2nd watch. Once in the theater was enough for me.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:21 pm

QoS was by no means a great movie but 4/10 is pretty harsh. I thoroughly enjoyed it although I agree about the story and wish they had fleshed it out more. I also think that the four elements motif was a little silly and a bit heavy-handed. Made it seem more like a FPS at times than a movie. w00t we have advanced to the fire level. I also like the way they are scarring the Bond character. It hasn't been perfect execution but I think the people currently in charge of Bond have a good vision on how to make this character appealing to audiences today (most of us anyway).
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:31 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i hated NCFOM... really slow with a bunch of pointless scenes and pointless dialogue that did nothing to advance the plot. honestly, i didn't even finish it because it was just that boring. i think it's one of those movies that people try to make seem deep, when in reality it just sucked.

I don't think the scenes, dialogue, and every little nuance was pointless, even if it's made to seem that way. I can understand NCFOM isn't for everybody given that the film is like a slow-acting toxin where by the end, you don't know if it's ever kicked in until you start to realize the ending really made the useless scenes actually significant. I actually don't think the film's themes are too deep, but the way it's presented makes it feel deep.

I think to say "people try to make seem deep, when in reality it just sucked" is a foolish thing to say, and I couldn't stand the movie. My sister has been dating somebody in the movie business for about 2 years, and he was trying to explain all the hub bub about the movie, and how it appeals so incredibly to movie people, with the very purposeful pacing, the camera angles used, and things of that nature. He calls it one of the best movies he's ever seen, but said that it's fully understandable that somebody like myself, who isn't looking for the same things he is in a movie, would hate it. The movie appeals to certain types of people, including those in the film industry, as well as those who are looking in a movie for what NCFOM offered. I, however, was bored to death by it, so much so that I won't even give it a 2nd watch. Once in the theater was enough for me.

True. Personally, while NCFOM endeared me to say it was indeed one of the best films I've seen (it wasn't groundbreaking either), I was patient enough to see it through. A good number of the "better" Hong Kong films which I wound up liking were similar in pacing and tone like NCFOM (even the themes are right in line with Hong Kong fare) and so I had an open mind about it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:57 pm

Seven Samurai- 9.5/10. One of my favorite movies of all-time. A well worth the 220 minuets.

I'll let Ebert explain the significance of this movie (beyond it being a very good movie):

Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" (1954) is not only a great film in its own right, but the source of a genre that would flow through the rest of the century. The critic Michael Jeck suggests that this was the first film in which a team is assembled to carry out a mission--an idea which gave birth to its direct Hollywood remake, "The Magnificent Seven," as well as "The Guns of Navarone," "The Dirty Dozen" and countless later war, heist and caper movies.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 10356/1023

Kurosawa is a great director and i suggest watching his other films.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:12 pm

thedude wrote:Seven Samurai- 9.5/10. One of my favorite movies of all-time. A well worth the 220 minuets.

I'll let Ebert explain the significance of this movie (beyond it being a very good movie):

Akira Kurosawa's "The Seven Samurai" (1954) is not only a great film in its own right, but the source of a genre that would flow through the rest of the century. The critic Michael Jeck suggests that this was the first film in which a team is assembled to carry out a mission--an idea which gave birth to its direct Hollywood remake, "The Magnificent Seven," as well as "The Guns of Navarone," "The Dirty Dozen" and countless later war, heist and caper movies.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... 10356/1023

Kurosawa is a great director and i suggest watching his other films.

Aye, this is one of my all-time favorite films too. That as well as Rashomon and Throne of Blood.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:11 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Oh my gawd I actually went to the movies :-o (shock horror)

Quantum Of Solace - 4/10

Not my favourite.
Too shoot-em-uppy for my liking. Also, they seemed to have dumbed down Bond - he is killing people who could have valuable information now, as opposed to mostly hired goons.
Daniel Craig = OK as Bond, but uses his gun way way more then I'm used to.

They need to do better next time.

Well, they wanted to show that Bond was still flawed, in putting his temper or his own sense of justice ahead of the mission. I didn't really mind that.

I think they could have portrayed that a lot better. The way they did it made him look like a caveman dumb a__. At least he asked Greene questions.

Amazinz wrote:QoS was by no means a great movie but 4/10 is pretty harsh. I thoroughly enjoyed it although I agree about the story and wish they had fleshed it out more. I also think that the four elements motif was a little silly and a bit heavy-handed. Made it seem more like a FPS at times than a movie. w00t we have advanced to the fire level. I also like the way they are scarring the Bond character. It hasn't been perfect execution but I think the people currently in charge of Bond have a good vision on how to make this character appealing to audiences today (most of us anyway).

I gave it such a low mark because it kind of felt like "generic action movie". What sets Bond apart (most of the time, in my opinion) is that he uses his brain to defeat baddies. This movie was just like BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM you dead! If that makes be behind the times because I don't like that style, then that's fine ;-D :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 am

Nah. In regard to updating Bond I was referring specifically to the flaws they are adding to the character.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:07 am

Yes Man - 7/10

Enjoyable. It was similar to Liar Liar, but did not stack up IMO. I got pretty much what I thought I was going to get from it.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:11 am

Wall-E 8/10
I have a few problems with the overall plot that either weren't explained or I'm too stupid to catch
EVE is on Earth to find vegetation but why does it shoot at any signs of normal life like the roach and Wall-E? Is it because EVE knows they can never go back? Then why bother looking?
Anywho, it was decent enough overall, and my 4 year old (today) can't get enough of it. It has it's moments, and I'd put this on for him anytime over another Thomas the Tank Engine DVD %-6

Batman, The Dark Knight 9/10
Fantastic movie. I had a few minor problems early, and I promised I wouldn't let them ruin the movie for me. By the time The Joker made a pencil disappear I had forgotten about them. I will have to go and read the spoilers thread now, as there are still a couple things I thought could have been better or left out, but obviously I would watch this again in a minute.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk