Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Yes Man - 8/10

Really funny, and a good movie. Of course cheesy towards the end but it has to be.
Its just weird seeing all these young people around Carey, but never the less a good movie ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:48 am

rookies and cream wrote:
Amazinz wrote:American Psycho and Dexter aren't that similar. I do think some elements of Bateman were borrowed and incorporated into the T.V. version of Dexter but other than that... Very different stories and themes. Or am I missing something?

Unfortunately I've never seen Dexter (though from what I've heard, I'm sure I'd like it). As for American Psycho (one of my favorite movies and an even better book), it's really a satire on the 1980's rather than a story about a serial killer. Patrick Bateman is first and foremost a yuppie with a serious case of narcissistic personality disorder. The fact that he murders people (or maybe just imagines it??) is secondary.

I highly recommend the book. Much more graphic than the film and funnier as well. Whole chapters dedicated to Bateman's analysis of Huey Lewis, Whitney Houston, Madonna, and Genesis make for interesting reading. ;-D

Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. I came in expecting/hoping for a Dexter-like film, so although I noticed the massive yuppie satire, I brushed it off as a secondary thing.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 5/10, although I'm not the type to like that kind of movie anyway. I wanted to see Yes Man. :-/

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:03 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. I came in expecting/hoping for a Dexter-like film, so although I noticed the massive yuppie satire, I brushed it off as a secondary thing.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 5/10, although I'm not the type to like that kind of movie anyway. I wanted to see Yes Man. :-/

what could possibly compel you to want to see a movie that has such an incredibly retarded premise?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:08 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Watched it after realizing I'll have to wait 8 1/2 more months for a new season of Dexter. Good movie but falls short of Dexter in every way possible, I guess Bateman was the prototype and Dexter was the final, refined product. If I evaluated it solely on its own merits it might be better, but screw it I'm not a movie critic.

Or you might say Dexter falls short of American Psycho in every way possible.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:13 am

Valkyrie 8.5/10

Very good film. Probably would be more exciting if you have zero knowledge of history and the fact that Hitler shot himself in 1945 and the Russians captured Berlin shortly thereafter.

A funny side note. All the actors have British accents except Tom Cruise, who has his normal American accent, and one random guy at the end who has 2 lines and has a German accent.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:16 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. I came in expecting/hoping for a Dexter-like film, so although I noticed the massive yuppie satire, I brushed it off as a secondary thing.

what could possibly compel you to want to see a movie that has such an incredibly retarded premise?

Which movie are you talking about? :-/ :-b
Last edited by Neato Torpedo on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:17 am

thedude wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
Watched it after realizing I'll have to wait 8 1/2 more months for a new season of Dexter. Good movie but falls short of Dexter in every way possible, I guess Bateman was the prototype and Dexter was the final, refined product. If I evaluated it solely on its own merits it might be better, but screw it I'm not a movie critic.

No, no....I might not. :-P

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:19 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

Which movie are you talking about? :-/ :-b

it could pretty much be either.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:20 am

Yes Man I wanted to see because it was the best one of the movies the theater had, and I can look past the incredibly retarded premise because it makes absolutely no attempt to appeal to any degree past incredibly retarded (like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back for example). Liar Liar actually was a decent movie, and I figure this is the same movie with different jokes. :-b As for Benjamin Button...the answer is much simpler: the warm hole.

Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:27 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
thedude wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:

No, no....I might not. :-P

I enjoyed Dexter, but come on... Better dialog, non-static characters, and a plot that has a theme beyond murder.

Besides, he has killed, what 50 serial killers? How many serial killers do you think there are in the greater Miami area? To give you an idea Miami has about 75 murders a year (and most of those are probably domestic disputes and drug related).

But then it is not really fair to compare a movie to a TV show.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk