Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:42 pm

RugbyD wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:And was his son deaf or retarded? I wish the actor playing him would pick one, because that was a confusing performance. :-S

That's how deaf people talk b/c they have no way of knowing what they sound like. They best they can do is feel/hear vibrations in their head, but it's nothing real clear.

No, not the way he was speaking, the way he was acting.
Obviously deaf people talk like that. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:46 am

Spent the last few hours watching Election and Election 2 (aka Triad Election)...just to get into that election spirit. ;-7

Election - 9/10 - Basically, Hong Kong's take on a brooding American gangster drama, which doesn't have the cliches a typical Hong Kong triad film does. In short, it's about two top gangsters campaigning to win votes as president of their triad society, but when one of them turns out to be a sore loser, what ensues is a race to capture a hidden baton that resembles the triad president's undisputed power. You'd think that such a pursuit would be a thrilling shoot-em-up film, but it isn't, rather it's slow, methodical, and can be understandably boring. There's also an overload of characters which threatens to drag the whole thing altogether...yet it all works. The character development is great, the acting even better, and if you enjoy chess match dramas as opposed to cat-and-mouse chase dramas, Election excels there. The ending wasn't as disturbing as I was led to believe, but it's all the more shocking and a very appropriate ending (in fact, I'd say it's one of my favorite endings to a film ever).

Here's a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quMLN0SHTfM

Election 2/Triad Election - 9.5/10 - I prefer the sequel better. It stands alone well without knowing what happened in the first Election, but like the first movie, it's like pulling teeth. Even more methodical than Election which felt more cat-and-mouse in comparison; it's another chess match but it's a lot more brute-force than the first as much as it is cerebral. Both candidates in the election take dirty campaigning to a whole new level, one including a graphic torture scene that will put Saw's Jigsaw Killer to shame. I don't find the plot or ending all that shocking personally as the first, but the story is just as meticulous as the first and slowly/systematically builds up to an equally appropriate finale to the theme of Election 2.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:50 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Spent the last few hours watching Election and Election 2 (aka Triad Election)...just to get into that election spirit. ;-7

Election - 9/10

have you ever seen the american film election with matthew broderick and a much younger reese witherspoon. very strange but quite interesting.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:11 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Spent the last few hours watching Election and Election 2 (aka Triad Election)...just to get into that election spirit. ;-7

Election - 9/10

have you ever seen the american film election with matthew broderick and a much younger reese witherspoon. very strange but quite interesting.

Heard of it, but no.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:30 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Election - 9/10

Heard of it, but no.

the basis is that reese is a studious/nerdy type running for class president and broderick is the teacher who is in charge of the election. there are numerous other things going on but this is the gist of it. in a way it reminds me of american beauty. similar type of humor/twistedness.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:05 pm

Religulous- 10/10
I was really looking forward to this and it delivered. Numerous hilarious scenes but makes sound points at the same time.

Iron Man- 9/10
Really enjoyed it. I like Downey Jr. a lot. It wasn't The Dark Knight, but it's better than any other superhero movie I've seen.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall- 9/10
I watched this last night and laughed through the whole thing. It's not 40 Year Old Virgin or Superbad, but it's hilarious nonetheless.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby jfg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:09 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:

Election - 9/10

That's the one I thought he was going to review for a second and wondered when they made a sequel!
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:38 pm

jfg wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:

Election - 9/10

That's the one I thought he was going to review for a second and wondered when they made a sequel!

Well now, you can understand why the sequel was renamed Triad Election to avoid any confusion with the Broderick/Witherspoon Election flick. :-b

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby pjalst » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 pm

was "W", this movie is just as bad as the Bush administration. portrays Bush as a drinking, partying underachiever riding on his dads coat tails. :-t
Last edited by pjalst on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:18 pm

pjalst wrote:was "W", this movie is just as bad as the Bush administration. portrays Bush as a drinking, partying underachiever riding on hid dads coat tails. :-t

I thought that it was fictional :-?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk