Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Mweir, the great Mouse Detective is probably one of the best Disney movies ever.


The whole movie is great, but I especially love the climax scene in Big Ben: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQyMnVfQZ8

Ratigan is such a good villian.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby jfg » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Disney jumped the shark when they felt the need to update classic stories and started relying more on original material rather than timeless stories. I wish they'd use the Disney trademark to continue the tradition of putting the Disney touch on loved classics and use the Pixar label to do their own material.
Image
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6078
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 4 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:07 pm

And so the James Bond reviews continue...................... :-D


The Man With The Golden Gun 6.8/10

This was a quite decent movie and it had a lot going for it. But probably could have been better.

- Christopher Lee really had the look to be an excellent, creepy Bond villain (I reckon giving him a cat to stroke would have been even better :-D ).

- Roger Moore improves/learns from the previous movie.

- The idea that no-one knows what Scaramanga looks like is quite good.

- Nik Nak was a very different Number One henchman, a very interfering one rather then physical threat.

- How funny is it that the bad guy loves solar energy? Was this movie financed by Big Oil?




The downside................(Spolier-ish)















The bad guy (Scaramanga) dies in like 5 seconds at the end. He pretty much stands there and gets shot.
And what the hell is up with Scaramanga having ONE henchman and ONE security guard/maintenace man at his house? Talk about over-confident and easy to beat.
Also I'm not impressed with Bond's local agent friend giving the Solar thingy to the dumb blonde. Who would do that?
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:23 pm

The Spy Who Loved Me 9/10

Instant classic.
I loved this movie from beginning to end. I feel bad about giving it a better mark then Goldfinger which I also love, but I will justify it by saying the 1970s fashion + music + decor (wood panelling etc) put it over the top for me.

And oh my god Barbara Bach. Excuse me I need to sit down. I know to some people she wasn't that good, but she was definitely my cup of tea. In the scene at the end when they are escaping the bad guys lair and her boobs are flying everywhere, it was :-L :-L :-L :-L

The only imperfection that I could see was that Stromberg was a bit too much of a "Mum's Basement" villain. If he was omnipresent and everywhere he would have been right on the money. Despite that Stromberg and Jaws are a very,very strong bad guy 1-2.

Definitely worth your while. ;-D
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:04 pm

AussieDodger wrote:And oh my god Barbara Bach. Excuse me I need to sit down. I know to some people she wasn't that good, but she was definitely my cup of tea. In the scene at the end when they are escaping the bad guys lair and her boobs are flying everywhere, it was :-L :-L :-L :-L


Like I said, the helicopter lady in The Spy Who Loved Me is just as hot (if not hotter than) as Barbara Bach. Not sure what people you heard from when it comes to Barbara Bach, but most everyone agrees she's right up there as best Bond girl.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21935
(Past Year: 671)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:14 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:And oh my god Barbara Bach. Excuse me I need to sit down. I know to some people she wasn't that good, but she was definitely my cup of tea. In the scene at the end when they are escaping the bad guys lair and her boobs are flying everywhere, it was :-L :-L :-L :-L


Like I said, the helicopter lady in The Spy Who Loved Me is just as hot (if not hotter than) as Barbara Bach. Not sure what people you heard from when it comes to Barbara Bach, but most everyone agrees she's right up there as best Bond girl.


My girlfriend has been hearing all day about how delicious she is, and she came in while I was watching it tonight and said "Her? You need glasses"

I normally get unbiased opinions from her on girls I fancy on T.V. She's good like that :-D :-D ;-D
Image
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11357
(Past Year: 19)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Been awhile since I've done a review, so here it goes.

Burn After Reading - 8.5/10.

I saw this after a weekend at the lake with some friends a couple weeks ago, so I was already in a great mood, and didn't want to turn to the mound of school work I had, so we went and saw this late night. It was opening weekend, and for 10:00 at night on a Sunday, the theater was pretty packed. I thought this movie was hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud a lot at Clooney, Pitt and Malkovich's characters.Was it partly due to the fact that half the theater might have been high because there was uproarious laughter at every joke? Maybe. But in general, I thought this movie accomplished what it set out to do. Yes, it was no No Country. But if you were expecting that going in, then honestly you are not very smart and didn't pay attention to the previews one bit. The last time the Coen's made a fantastic drama (Fargo), they followed it up with an outstanding comedy (The Big Lebowski). I think they have another great one-two punch here with No Country For Old Men and Burn After Reading. If you like the Coen's, you'll love this.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Yoda » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:10 pm

tuff_gong wrote:Been awhile since I've done a review, so here it goes.

Burn After Reading - 8.5/10.

I saw this after a weekend at the lake with some friends a couple weeks ago, so I was already in a great mood, and didn't want to turn to the mound of school work I had, so we went and saw this late night. It was opening weekend, and for 10:00 at night on a Sunday, the theater was pretty packed. I thought this movie was hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud a lot at Clooney, Pitt and Malkovich's characters.Was it partly due to the fact that half the theater might have been high because there was uproarious laughter at every joke? Maybe. But in general, I thought this movie accomplished what it set out to do. Yes, it was no No Country. But if you were expecting that going in, then honestly you are not very smart and didn't pay attention to the previews one bit. The last time the Coen's made a fantastic drama (Fargo), they followed it up with an outstanding comedy (The Big Lebowski). I think they have another great one-two punch here with No Country For Old Men and Burn After Reading. If you like the Coen's, you'll love this.


I thought it was hilarious. I loved it. My favorite Coen Bros movie.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:27 pm

Burn After Reading: 8/10

A very funny dark comedy. I don't really understand why this got mixed reviews, it was quite good.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:18 am

I saw it as well, I agree with the 8.5 rating, though I think had I watched it in a better environment(a full sized theater with freakin' 4 other people in it) I could of enjoyed it more. Nonetheless I thought it was great, the characters are fantastic, the mood and tone of the humor were on point and just an overall enjoyable experience from beginning to end.
Image
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1505
Joined: 7 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact