Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby J35J » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:17 am

sblinyy wrote:There will be blood 2/10.

Just a long and boring movie that didn't capture my interest.

Hey, alright. Someone agrees with me.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 pm

J35J wrote:
sblinyy wrote:There will be blood 2/10.

Just a long and boring movie that didn't capture my interest.

Hey, alright. Someone agrees with me.

I think Daniel Day-Lewis' performance makes up for the methodical pace of TWBB.

House of Flying Daggers - 8.5/10. Like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, this is not a pure martial arts wuxia film but the presentation and story are beautifully crafted and a little more straightforward than Crouching Tiger but has a more subtle deeper meaning than it actually presents. A good intro film if you're getting into HK wuxia.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby sblinyy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:31 am

Ocean's 13 6/10

An entertaining watch, but is a little more unrealistic than the first two.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mtxdevil » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:02 pm

DbacksRback wrote:
thedude wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i've been renting The Wire from Blockbuster Online...only problem is the wife doesnt like it but i'm hooked :~(

The wire was my favorite show while it was TV. That show is addicting.

I watched all the episodes here:
http://www.tv-links.cc/tv/dexter.htm
it was great quality! Im going back to college so i might try and get hooked on the wire for something to do with the downtime ;-D

How can a site like this be legal?
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:21 pm

mtxdevil wrote:How can a site like this be legal?

Not a U.S. web site. Registered in Belize. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mtxdevil » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Amazinz wrote:
mtxdevil wrote:How can a site like this be legal?

Not a U.S. web site. Registered in Belize. :-D

Touche. :-B
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:50 pm

The Warlords - 9/10.

I've been waiting quite a while to see this one (although this film was only released in theaters across Asia last December) but it was definitely worth the wait and lived up to expectations (it won Best Film in this year's Hong Kong Film Awards). It's a war/drama film with some martial arts sprinkled in, as you'd expect when there's Jet Li cast into the mix but unlike any Jet Li film, this one is a predominantly morbid tale where Jet Li plays a more flawed character than he's usually portrayed.

The movie is set back during China's Taiping Rebellion (circa 1850-1860's), a time that brought poverty, starvation, and war that led to a massive casualty count in China. Jet Li plays an army general who faked his death from the total slaughter of his army in battle and finds himself in a mountain village facing the signs of the times. He befriends two brothers, who lead a band of village bandits on a Robin Hood mission to steal much needed food and supplies from the military. In order to secure peace and prosperity for the village, Jet Li persuades them to join his own army for the sake of the village. A brotherhood is formed between the 3 main characters but it becomes greatly tested much later on, especially when Jet Li becomes much too ambitious and drunk with arrogance that he develops a kind of Daniel Plainview/MacBeth type character.

I'd knock it down a peg because 1) there are a few points in the film that uses a ripoff of the Gladiator theme and 2) it could've used the backdrop of the Taiping Rebellion to add even greater context but the setting becomes more or less background noise unfortunately. Other than that, the story and the characters are compelling. Andy Lau (from Infernal Affairs and House of Flying Daggers) does an outstanding job as usual and the role for Takeshi Kaneshiro (also cast from House of Flying Daggers) was just right. Also, the fight scenes are more than decent. Highly recommended.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Yoda » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 am

Still haven't watched Hard Boiled. It is on my iPod though so I'll watch it soon.

Just watched The Descent for the third time. I give it 8/10. There are obvious plot holes but it is a fast paced gorefest. They do plenty of cheap scares and overall it has the creepiness of the Alien movies.

*** SPOILERS ***

My main gripes:
1. How can these women take down like 20 of these creatures that are strong enough to crawl around the walls and ceilings? Also they took down a bunch of large animals for food with no weapons.
2. The creatures are blind but they can't hear or smell people right in front of them? One of them actually steps on one of the women and has no idea? Hard to believe.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:45 am

I never got the popularity of that movie. Obviously, based on the IMDB rating, I am in the minority but I thought it was complete rubbish. I even watched it a second time, the original U.K. version, because I was told it was better and that was complete rubbish too. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:49 am

Amazinz wrote:I never got the popularity of that movie. Obviously, based on the IMDB rating, I am in the minority but I thought it was complete rubbish. I even watched it a second time, the original U.K. version, because I was told it was better and that was complete rubbish too. :-D

I gave it 2 tries too and couldn't make it all the way through either time.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk