Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Wow didn't realize it did so poorly. I thought the movie was complete trash. Then I went and read the books because of all the "controversy" but didn't really find any and was bored to tears. These rank up there with Harry Potter as most overrated books ever. :-D

Just my $.02. Don't mean to piss off any of you crazy Potter fans. :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:48 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:there are futurama movies?

Yes. There have been 2 straight to DVD releases with a 3rd coming around X-mas this year.

Yeah they are actually supposed to be considered a new season for what it's worth, as comedy central will be breaking them up into episodes that will air on their network, but first they are being released as movies on DVD.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 pm

Yoda wrote:Ghost in the Shell 2 - 7/10 - Loved the original. Philosophical, complex story about human existence in conjunction with advances in technology. I thought this one was a bit more preachy and harder to follow. Beautiful animation and artwork though. If you are an Anime fan then you have to check this out.

Same here. The first is a classic, but the second is not bad at all.

Hard Boiled - 9.5/10 - If you like Infernal Affairs or The Departed, especially Infernal Affairs I pretty much guarantee you'll like this film. It's perhaps John Woo's best work and if you're just getting into Hong Kong cinema, this is one of the few movies you should be introduced to. It's as deep as Infernal Affairs is but a ton more gun violence.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:13 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Yoda wrote:Ghost in the Shell 2 - 7/10 - Loved the original. Philosophical, complex story about human existence in conjunction with advances in technology. I thought this one was a bit more preachy and harder to follow. Beautiful animation and artwork though. If you are an Anime fan then you have to check this out.

Hard Boiled - 9.5/10 - If you like Infernal Affairs or The Departed, especially Infernal Affairs I pretty much guarantee you'll like this film. It's perhaps John Woo's best work and if you're just getting into Hong Kong cinema, this is one of the few movies you should be introduced to. It's as deep as Infernal Affairs is but a ton more gun violence.

Hmmm weird. I rented GITS2 and the manager swore that Hard Boiled was the best action movie ever. It was only a $1 rental so naturally picked it up. Will come back with a review tomorrow. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Hmmm weird. I rented GITS2 and the manager swore that Hard Boiled was the best action movie ever. It was only a $1 rental so naturally picked it up. Will come back with a review tomorrow. :-D

Sweet. I have quite a collection of Hong Kong films, some of which are from the UK given they tend to get the best subtitled copies. Just make sure you have a regionalized DVD player and you're good. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 660)

Postby phillyphan12 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Tropic Thunder- 8.5/10

i really liked this movie as its the funniest comedy i have seen in some time...Not only are the maincharactersgood, but TomCruise and Matthew Mcgonauhay(cant spell his last name sorry) do a very good and funny job in their supporting roles.without them i imagine the movie would have gotten a bit boring thru some parts. however, it kept my attention thru out and it is definately worth a watch. ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am

phillyphan12 wrote:Tropic Thunder- 8.5/10

i really liked this movie as its the funniest comedy i have seen in some time...Not only are the maincharactersgood, but TomCruise and Matthew Mcgonauhay(cant spell his last name sorry) do a very good and funny job in their supporting roles.without them i imagine the movie would have gotten a bit boring thru some parts. however, it kept my attention thru out and it is definately worth a watch. ;-D

I agree i was going to go with a 8.5 as well very funny movie. I chose to watch it over pinapple express but i might try and see that too

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:58 am

Bloodsport 13/10... I watched it for what was probably the 20th time during commercials in the Giants/Browns game (by the way, can you say "repeat"? ;-D)...

Is there a better guilty pleasure movie out there? Between Ray Jackson drinking beer in a hospital bed, Chong Li's boobs, the little Korean guide, Van Damme's bikini underwear, Forrest Whittaker's Oscar worthy performance, and some sweet fighting scenes, I don't know how it didn't win at least one Academy Award...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:01 am

Inukchuk wrote:Bloodsport 13/10... I watched it for what was probably the 20th time during commercials in the Giants/Browns game (by the way, can you say "repeat"? ;-D)...

Is there a better guilty pleasure movie out there? Between Ray Jackson drinking beer in a hospital bed, Chong Li's boobs, the little Korean guide, Van Damme's bikini underwear, Forrest Whittaker's Oscar worthy performance, and some sweet fighting scenes, I don't know how it didn't win at least one Academy Award...

Bloodsport is a classic! ;-D

I'm not sure I'm as excited about Van Damme's bannana hammock as you are but its a great movie nonetheless.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Hard Boiled is sweet...you should check out The Killer (also with Chow-Yun Fat and by John Woo) if you havent already
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk