Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:59 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I don't know that the Prestige is an attempt to be realistic. It's been awhile since I've seen it but if I remember correctly they establish early on during Angier's youth that the movie is a fantasy. Priest's novel is a fairly famous fantasy (slipstream) novel. The movie isn't exact but pretty close (I read it after the fact). In the movie they cut out the multi-generation aspect of the feud and the reason why Borden had a twin. Anyway, shame you didn't like it. I like fantasy and thought this was a good one.

the problem i had is that the whole thing seemed very realistic up until that point... basically if you removed that one aspect of the movie, its pretty believable. it really just seemed like they overdid it quite a bit just to get shock value when it was really unnecessary for the movie to be good. its not that i don't like fantasy movies, i just don't how they incorporated it into this movie

I could be wrong since I haven't watched it in a while but wasn't the Tesla storyline an integral part of the movie?

The only thing that I would change about the movie is to show some boobies. I'm not sure why Nolan never allows his actresses to show their boobies. I know they all want to.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I don't know that the Prestige is an attempt to be realistic. It's been awhile since I've seen it but if I remember correctly they establish early on during Angier's youth that the movie is a fantasy. Priest's novel is a fairly famous fantasy (slipstream) novel. The movie isn't exact but pretty close (I read it after the fact). In the movie they cut out the multi-generation aspect of the feud and the reason why Borden had a twin. Anyway, shame you didn't like it. I like fantasy and thought this was a good one.

the problem i had is that the whole thing seemed very realistic up until that point... basically if you removed that one aspect of the movie, its pretty believable. it really just seemed like they overdid it quite a bit just to get shock value when it was really unnecessary for the movie to be good. its not that i don't like fantasy movies, i just don't how they incorporated it into this movie

I could be wrong since I haven't watched it in a while but wasn't the Tesla storyline an integral part of the movie?

The only thing that I would change about the movie is to show some boobies. I'm not sure why Nolan never allows his actresses to show their boobies. I know they all want to.

i just feel that they could have replaced the tesla part with something more realistic that fit in better with the flow of the movie

and i second the part about boobies
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby Yoda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:45 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:i just feel that they could have replaced the tesla part with something more realistic that fit in better with the flow of the movie

Replace the Tesla with boobies?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:i just feel that they could have replaced the tesla part with something more realistic that fit in better with the flow of the movie

Replace the Tesla with boobies?

genius
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 428)

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 pm

I didn't mind Semi-Pro, I'd give it an average 6/10. It was a million times better than Talladega Nights.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby thedude » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Hoop Dreams- 9.5/10- This is probably the best documentary i have ever seen. A great story about two inner city kids who dream of making it to the NBA. The story starts off with William Gates and Arthur Agee being recruited off of the Chicago playgrounds to play for the prestigious St. Josephs high school basketball team in the late 1980s. Isiah Thomas played high school ball at St. Josephs (this is important boys in different ways). This is more than just a sports documentary, it details the hardships inner city kids go through while growing up.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm

thedude wrote:Hoop Dreams- 9.5/10- This is probably the best documentary i have ever seen. A great story about two inner city kids who dream of making it to the NBA. The story starts off with William Gates and Arthur Agee being recruited off of the Chicago playgrounds to play for the prestigious St. Josephs high school basketball team in the late 1980s. Isiah Thomas played high school ball at St. Josephs (this is important boys in different ways). This is more than just a sports documentary, it details the hardships inner city kids go through while growing up.

i read this book in like 3rd grade but never have seen the movie. maybe i should.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Absolutely. It got the Criterion treatment too.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:09 am

Futurama: Bender's Big Score

6/10

I loved the original series, I hold it in high regard as an animated comedy series, however this movie seemed to be completely untrue to itself. From the first few minutes on I had this odd feeling of the overall vibe of the show, whether it be the background music, joke subjects, joke delivery, character dialogue, etc. to all feel foreign and distinctly different from the original series. There are a few good laughs and lines that do ring true to the series, but it just feels off. There are so many layers of previous episodes in the jokes that it just feels like an outsider familiar with the series tried unsuccessfully to make this movie. Futurama has always had a great touch in referencing past jokes for loyal fans, but this movie took that notion to excess. There seemed to be no originality, all of it was a plot that allowed them to rehash various storylines of the series past. I had heard disappointing reviews about this before I watched it, but held out hope that I would see things differently, unfortunately for me I couldn't.
Last edited by TheA'sFatLeadoffMan on Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:25 am

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. Growing up with Adam Sandler, I'm a big fan of the stupid comedy. This baby delivered. If you like the first one, you'll have no complaints about the sequel. If you didn't like White Castle, you'll definitely want to steer clear. Being stoned definitely helps, as well...so I've heard... :-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk