Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Keanu is God's gift to North America. Ze German can't handle the Keanu. And let's not forget the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Keanu probably wouldn't work for him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:08 pm

just had surgery so watching lots of movies! :-B
sideways-8-10 slow at times but its a great depiction of characters. If your into wine and want a good movie this is a good one
Entourage- season 2- 9/10 only saw parts of it but i liked it a lot
Indian in the cupboard 8-o i saw it when i was a kid and it was on "on demand" i liked it back then but it lost a little bit over the years :-b 7/10 great kids movie
I got a few more to watch so ill be posting them.

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:46 am

Just got back from a midnight showing of Pineapple Express.
and James Franco was hilarious, in a role I would never picture him in the role of was fantastic.
I think this movie was hilarious and if you are heavily against drug use than dont see it, but it is so crazy and funny and a good time.
8.5/10
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:16 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Saw the drug recovery drama Clean and Sober starring Michael Keaton today. After viewing the original Batman movies again, I've been on a bit of a Keaton kick lately and thought I'd check out one of his better dramatic roles. (By the way, if anyone has a recommendation for a Keaton film, please hit me up.)

You mention this and then I found it on TV last night in the whee hours unable to sleep. Didn't watch the whole thing. It's been a long time since I've seen it, forgot how much I liked it. It's a shame that Keaton doesn't get better roles. The only thing I have seen recently with him that might have flown under the radar is Game 6. It's a neat premise: day in the life of a Bostonian living in New York during the 1986 World Series. It's not a great movie but Keaton's performance is excellent.

I saw Lonely Hearts last night (7/10) about a female killer (Selma Hayek) in 1940s New York & Michigan (based on a true story). I think the story is very romanticized so it's not great from a historical perspective but the movie just worked for me. Gandolfini and Travolta on screen together is just electric. If you like Noir this is Noir-lite.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 pm

jlm53089 wrote:Just got back from a midnight showing of Pineapple Express.
and James Franco was hilarious, in a role I would never picture him in the role of was fantastic.
I think this movie was hilarious and if you are heavily against drug use than dont see it, but it is so crazy and funny and a good time.
8.5/10

I also saw the midnight showing and also planned on giving it an 8.5/10 before seeing your post. James Franco was hilarious, plenty of guys from Superbad/Knocked Up reappear and are very funny in their minor roles too (I love the guy who hits Seth with the car in Superbad, and the doorman in Knocked Up). Definitely a lot of drugs in this movie, but it was hilarious.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby phillyphan12 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:00 am

Semi Pro...4/10 Yep, wont be getting those 90 minutes of my life back. Had me laughing once every 20 minutes or so, and even then it was nothing to go crazy over. Ferrell definately swung and missed on this one...thankfully Stepbrothers was much much better.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 am

just watched the prestige... for the most part it was ok but they tried to put too many plot twists in it

spoiler in white
the whole part with hugh jackman's character getting tesla to make him the machine which clones himself was absolutely one of the dumbest things i've ever seen in what i thought was a semi-realistic movie... i saw it coming and just hoped they wouldn't actually do it, but of course they did and it pretty much ruined the whole movie for me as i couldn't take anything seriously after that point

i also get that batman's character didn't want to give up the secret, but seriously how do you not tell your wife, who you say you love, whats going on so it doesnt lead her to kill herself? there were just too many silly, completely unrealistic parts to this movie that it really turned me off

i think they could have made it a much, much better movie had the two just had a magician's war where they kept trying to upstage/sabatoge each other... instead they took the stupid fairy tale route.

6/10 only because scarlett johanssen is unbelievably hot in every scene and actually made a movie that turned into a crapfest actually watchable
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 am

I don't know that the Prestige is an attempt to be realistic. It's been awhile since I've seen it but if I remember correctly they establish early on during Angier's youth that the movie is a fantasy. Priest's novel is a fairly famous fantasy (slipstream) novel. The movie isn't exact but pretty close (I read it after the fact). In the movie they cut out the multi-generation aspect of the feud and the reason why Borden had a twin. Anyway, shame you didn't like it. I like fantasy and thought this was a good one.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 pm

finally saw the dark night last night. ill go 8/10.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:I don't know that the Prestige is an attempt to be realistic. It's been awhile since I've seen it but if I remember correctly they establish early on during Angier's youth that the movie is a fantasy. Priest's novel is a fairly famous fantasy (slipstream) novel. The movie isn't exact but pretty close (I read it after the fact). In the movie they cut out the multi-generation aspect of the feud and the reason why Borden had a twin. Anyway, shame you didn't like it. I like fantasy and thought this was a good one.

the problem i had is that the whole thing seemed very realistic up until that point... basically if you removed that one aspect of the movie, its pretty believable. it really just seemed like they overdid it quite a bit just to get shock value when it was really unnecessary for the movie to be good. its not that i don't like fantasy movies, i just don't how they incorporated it into this movie
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk