Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby urbanbreez » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:04 pm

Nacho Libre, 8.5.

The closer you pay attention, the better it gets. It also gets an A for originality.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:01 pm

Yoda wrote:
phillyphan12 wrote:The Departed 10/10

I`m sitting here 15-20 minutes after watching this film and im struggling to find anything i dislike enough about it to dock off some points...i just think it was great in every way with a brilliant storyline to match with a brilliant cast and is right up there wit Goodfellas in terms of Scorsesces best works.

It was a remake of a Japanese movie called Infernal Affairs.

I just didn't like all the "boom! head shot!" at the end.

I didn't feel that part was necessary, but it was a good movie nonetheless.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:32 pm

Saw the drug recovery drama Clean and Sober starring Michael Keaton today. After viewing the original Batman movies again, I've been on a bit of a Keaton kick lately and thought I'd check out one of his better dramatic roles. (By the way, if anyone has a recommendation for a Keaton film, please hit me up.) I have to say, this was one of the best performances I've ever seen out of Keaton in any film. The first half of the film sets the dark tone of the story, where we see Keaton's character go through the typical stages of addiction, until he finally concludes that he has a severe alcohol and drug dependency. I really bought into his performance, especially during the stages where he is at his most pathetically dependent on drugs. Just watching him plead with his mother to loan him $30,000 so he can cover up an outstanding debt really makes you feel horribly sad for his situation. Nothing says depressing like asking your mother to take out a second loan on the house you grew up in, just to cover up an outstanding debt thanks in part to substance abuse.

The film also stars Morgan Freeman, who plays the part of a recovering addict who counsels Keaton while he's in rehab. It's an early performance for Freeman who really shines as a counselor who doesn't completely buy into Keaton's commitment to sobriety. During the second half of the movie, Keaton, with help from Freeman and the always dependable actor M. Emmet Walsh, begins to put his life back together, while watching one of his fellow recovering addicts, a young Kathy Bates, struggle to stay clean. My only complaints are that we didn't get to see Keaton's character suffer more through the process of trying to free himself from the bonds of addiction. At times I found myself hoping to see Keaton suffer more physical anguish while trying to detox, but it doesn't at all take away from his performance. I really do look forward to checking out more of his earlier films, but I'm afraid this may be the most dramatic role he's tackled in his library of work.

8/10
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanemo Bay 5.5/10

There's funny parts but just like the first one it's just not that good. But, I make it a point to see almost every big screen comedy (there's a limit). Kumar just isn't a funny character. Harold is a pretty good straight man though and the story is usually funny with humorous secondary characters. But, without a funny lead man it kind of falls on it's face. If they could recast Kumar these movies might be funny but this is probably the last one anyway unless they put out direct to DVD movies.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:51 am

Snakes Gould wrote: and nicholson didnt really come off as a mob boss to me,

funny you should mention that. People view of mob bosses is quite skewed by the Italian motif in most films. FOr the most part its gruntwork with glitz and glamor for some and not nearly what it used to be. The effort and the stress shows and the labor isn't always the best. One of the best Hollywood potrayals of mob life from a realistic perspective was Donnie Brasco. and the Irish style isn't quite the same as the Italian style, though at the lowest common denominator its the same work carried out by different individuals. Yakuza and the Russians are different though.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:36 am

Snakes Gould wrote:i was so shocked at the end, which made it that much better to me. very rarely in a movie do you see both the protagonist and antagonist killed. i mean who really thought dicaprio was going to get lit up as soon as he exited the elevator? personally i loved it. the rat at the end was a little cheesy and nicholson didnt really come off as a mob boss to me, but the movie was still superb nonetheless. 9.5/10 to me.

Arrgghh....I've been meaning to watch it for a while now, and with all the positive reviews from your nice fellows, I was really leaning towards watching it sometime this week. I'm sure this was an accident, but could you please post a warning when you're going to mention mini-spoilers like this. I've heard a lot of nice things about this movie so it's a little disappointing to be given away important info like this before I had a chance to see it for myself.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby phillyphan12 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 am

Old School 8/10...I`ve been a movie watching machine lately and for the most part have gone after the drama and crime thrillers for a long while so tonight i decided id watch a positively reviewed comedy which i hadn`t seen before in Old School. Very funny and i think the amount of screen time was well divided between Vaughn Ferrell and Wilson, with Vaughn and Ferrell especially coming through with many hilarious scenes...Luke Wilson`s character didnt bring much to the table for me as he was kinda bland and boring, but i guessed the movie needed a guy like that to even out for Ferrell and Vaughns wildness.

All in all very good comedy that gets a thumbs up from me ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:i was so shocked at the end, which made it that much better to me. very rarely in a movie do you see both the protagonist and antagonist killed. i mean who really thought dicaprio was going to get lit up as soon as he exited the elevator? personally i loved it. the rat at the end was a little cheesy and nicholson didnt really come off as a mob boss to me, but the movie was still superb nonetheless. 9.5/10 to me.

Arrgghh....I've been meaning to watch it for a while now, and with all the positive reviews from your nice fellows, I was really leaning towards watching it sometime this week. I'm sure this was an accident, but could you please post a warning when you're going to mention mini-spoilers like this. I've heard a lot of nice things about this movie so it's a little disappointing to be given away important info like this before I had a chance to see it for myself.

ha...there's got to be some kind of statue of limitations for talking about spoilers. This movie has been out of DVD for, what, a year-and-a-half now? Not to mention the time it spent in theaters. I would say after a movie has been available on DVD for six months it's open season.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk