Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:24 pm

1408: 8/10

Excellent movie. It's very suspenseful, in some parts frightening, in some parts sad, and great ending. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:42 pm

dclark0699 wrote:In related news....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solomon_Key another week of my life where I'll be accomplishing little.

I tried to get through The Da Vinci Code a few years back but I couldn't do it. I really can't read anything Dan Brown writes, he's just such a poor writer. It seemed like a good story, though, so I'd imagine the movie was decent if they did it right (although if I remember correctly, it got terrible reviews when it came out).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:50 pm

mweir145 wrote:
dclark0699 wrote:In related news....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solomon_Key another week of my life where I'll be accomplishing little.

I tried to get through The Da Vinci Code a few years back but I couldn't do it. I really can't read anything Dan Brown writes, he's just such a poor writer. It seemed like a good story, though, so I'd imagine the movie was decent if they did it right (although if I remember correctly, it got terrible reviews when it came out).

I would say he is an annoying writer - but the stories themselves are interesting and quick enough for me to get hooked.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 am

It's like they said on Family Guy...."the chapters are really short so it makes you feel smart." B-)

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:40 am

Walk Hard The Dewey Cox Story: 7.5/10

Pretty good actually, the singing parts are awesome and the scenes where Dewey are introduced to drugs are hilarious. Little better than I expected. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby phillyphan12 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 am

The Departed 10/10

I`m sitting here 15-20 minutes after watching this film and im struggling to find anything i dislike enough about it to dock off some points...i just think it was great in every way with a brilliant storyline to match with a brilliant cast and is right up there wit Goodfellas in terms of Scorsesces best works.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:56 am

phillyphan12 wrote:The Departed 10/10

I`m sitting here 15-20 minutes after watching this film and im struggling to find anything i dislike enough about it to dock off some points...i just think it was great in every way with a brilliant storyline to match with a brilliant cast and is right up there wit Goodfellas in terms of Scorsesces best works.

You should watch the original Infernal Affairs it's great as well, Infernal Affairs 2 is very good as well(a prequel).
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:09 am

It was a remake of a Japanese movie called Infernal Affairs.

I just didn't like all the "boom! head shot!" at the end.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:39 am

Yoda wrote:

It was a remake of a Japanese movie called Infernal Affairs.

I just didn't like all the "boom! head shot!" at the end.

Same here. It felt like they just went, "well, we better wrap this up," and turned it into a Shakespearean trajedy with everyone killed off. Also, the imagery of the rat walking across the balcony with the state capitol in the background was a little heavy handed. Film makers should give their audience the benefit of the doubt. And I thought it was very well-cast, with the exception of Nicholson, who not only seemed out of place and couldn't harness a New England accent, but mailed-in most of the performance. It was a good movie, a solid 8 or 8.5/10, but I truly don't understand all the people who say it is their all-time favorite, or even Scorsese's best work.

Anyway, saw Ironman over the weekend. Not a very good movie. I'll preface this by saying that I'm generally not a fan of comic book movies in general, and generally don't watch them (I think Spiderman 2 is the last that I saw), but even as a summer-blockbuster-big-budget-special-effects-action-movie, this wasn't very good. I didn't mind Downey Jr. as the action hero, but I thought Jeff Bridges was hilariously mis-cast as the villian. He wasn't bad as the businessman bad guy, but when he put on the suit for the final fight, I couldn't help but laugh, especially whenever he talked. Also, there simply wasn't enough action for an action movie. It needed at least one more scene similar to the one where Ironman fights bad guys and edudes F-22s. The big fight at the end was a let down as well. I give the movie a big 'meh' and a 5/10.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:14 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Speaking of kids and Rambo...I watched Son of Rambow a couple weeks ago and I thought it was surprisingly good. It's the story of two kids who start a friendship making Rambo-like home videos. I'd give it 7.5 out of 10. ;-D

Finally got around to watching this and I was a little disappointed. The relationship between the two young boys was great but their personal story lines really dragged for me. I would have liked a little more exploration of the family's life and a little less of the over-arcing story dealing with the wacky French kid. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk