Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 am

CheeseBeger wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Boondock Saints for the millionth time 10/10

if you haven't seen it, one of the best of all time. Cult classic and a great movie. I hope the director and Producer can get on the same page for the sequal

Yeah its one of those cult movies more popular years later. Everyone at college bragged about how amazing it was, and I too thought "meh." It wasnt bad, but it wasn't worth the hype.

i saw it when i first came to DVD, but that's becasue i worked at Blockbuster and got 5 free rentals a week and would bascially rent anything decent that came out
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:49 am

Charlotte's Web - 10/10

It was enjoyable. It gets high ratings because of the experience. I took my three year old daughter and she had a good time, so consequently I had a good time. :-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:52 am

A Scanner Darkly - 8/10, pretty surreal movie about drug addiction and a nice little twist at the end. Good dialogues and very unique style.

Night Listener - 6/10, based on the real story of a boy who was abused as a child with AIDs, syphillis and 200+ broken bones. Too unbelievable? Movie explains loosely what happened but the author makes his own conclusions as to what really happened.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:59 am

Has anyone seen Babel? It won best picture at the Golden Globes last night but of course, like any good movie, it wasn't playing anywhere near me. Oh, but Stomp the Yard is playing everywhere so I feel much better now. :-[
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Coppermine wrote:Has anyone seen Babel? It won best picture at the Golden Globes last night but of course, like any good movie, it wasn't playing anywhere near me. Oh, but Stomp the Yard is playing everywhere so I feel much better now. :-[

Is Dream girls acctually good or did it just win cause Jamie Foxx is in it
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 pm

Coppermine wrote:Has anyone seen Babel? It won best picture at the Golden Globes last night but of course, like any good movie, it wasn't playing anywhere near me. Oh, but Stomp the Yard is playing everywhere so I feel much better now. :-[

I saw it and thought it was OK. The acting was excellent but the story and the movie itself is overrated. The storyline involving the Japanese is just odd. IMHO this movie is being treated like Crash; it's being heralded and awarded based on the social statement (on an international level in this case) rather than it's merit as a movie. I think great movies can be powerful social statements (Taxi Driver, for instance) but I don't think social statements in and of themselves make for great movies. Alright, off my soapbox.

Ignore the hype and the movie will end up being a decent rental. Buy into the hype and you'll end up being disappointed. Just my $.02. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I saw it and thought it was OK. The acting was excellent but the story and the movie itself is overrated. The storyline involving the Japanese is just odd. IMHO this movie is being treated like Crash; it's being heralded and awarded based on the social statement (on an international level in this case) rather than it's merit as a movie. I think great movies can be powerful social statements (Taxi Driver, for instance) but I don't think social statements in and of themselves make for great movies. Alright, off my soapbox.

Ignore the hype and the movie will end up being a decent rental. Buy into the hype and you'll end up being disappointed. Just my $.02. ;-)[/quote

Yeah it's in my queue at Netflix. Not gonna pay full price for it. I thought Crash was pretty good but it was definitely overrated.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:02 pm

I thought Babel won for Most Utterly Depressing Movie. The urge to slit your wrists after watching it is uncanny.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:44 pm

Babel wasn't bad, but didn't seem as original as Crash with the converging storylines. I thought it could have been better and had too much hype. 7/10. I want to see Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima
which has been nominated for alot of awards. It is the Japanese counter version of Flags of our Fathers from the Japanese point of view. It is on limited screens.
Last edited by Dr. StrangeGlove on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 pm

I also recently watched Night at the Museum which was crap. 4/10

I also recently watched Pan's Labyrinth, which was an excellent movie playing on limited screens. Dont let the title fool you, it is definitely not a movie for children since it has some brutal violence in it. It has some beautiful special effects but a little depressing and violent. 8.5/10
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk