Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:58 am

jfg wrote:I saw the X-Files movie this past weekend and that gets an "Oh, brother". I'm not a fanboy but I've seen enough episodes to get it plus I watched the first movie. Every episode I've seen was better than that awful movie.

Speaking of which, it's not a movie, but I literally just finished watching an X-Files episode called "The Unnatural". It's basically about how a Negro League slugger named Josh Exley who supposedly broke Babe Ruth's single-season home run record (thinly veiled reference to Josh Gibson) was actually a shapeshifting alien. He played for the Roswell Grays in 1947, which is both an obvious reference to the Homestead Grays, which Gibson played for, and Grays the aliens.

10/10 :-b

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:19 am

Following

Christopher Nolan's first film, I've been interested in seeing it since I first saw Memento, the story was interesting and the acting was well done. I enjoyed the pacing and the piecing together of the story, if you enjoyed Memento it's definitely worth a watch.

8.5/10
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm

RugbyD wrote:
j24jags wrote:
anyway watched american psycho yesterday for the first time and i'd give it a 7.5/10, i'd say an 8/10 is a must-see so this movie just missed it. it is extremely intense, sex, blood, violence, the whole nine yards, Christian Bale did a great job and it really was his breakthrough movie. It has some deeper undercutting tones than a simple serial killer too which adds to the movie. i did not read the book, but i heard it was much "dirtier" than the movie and if the movie were based more closely off the book it would have been rated NC-17. if you have a strong stomach, like intense movies, like Christian Bale or just like good murder/killing movies then see it.

American Psycho is a brilliant satire and really has nothing to do with killing at all. 9/10 for me, one of my all-time favs that I can quote volumes from. I laugh through most of it.

American Psycho was a very good satire of the 1980s culture. It wasn't one of my all-time favorites but still a very good movie.

I'd give it an 8/10.

That movie does have some great quotes.
Daisy: What do you do?
Patrick Bateman: I'm into... well murders and executions mostly.
Daisy: Do you like it?
Patrick Bateman: It depends. Why?

Patrick Bateman: He was into that whole Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Yeah, Yale thing.
Donald Kimball: What whole Yale thing?
Patrick Bateman: Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing.

BTW the ending of that movie, which i won't give away, is absolutely classic.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby phillyphan12 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:48 pm

Step Brothers- 7.5/10 pretty good comedy which met my expectations...Saw it on some grainy footage so i may have missed out on some things visually that may have been funnier to me had i seen it on the big screen, but all in all a good comedy flick with Ferrell reverting back to his hilarious ways.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:40 am

Fantastic Four. 6/10

I was entertained I guess, but it was pretty bland for a Super Hero Movie, pretty bad acting, and yeah kinda boring at times.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j24jags » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:12 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:Fantastic Four. 6/10

I was entertained I guess, but it was pretty bland for a Super Hero Movie, pretty bad acting, and yeah kinda boring at times.

I slept through that and would say a 6 is generous
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:38 pm

The Dark Knight - 8/10

finally got around to seeing it today (1010am, and lost my wallet in the process :-C )

Pretty solid movie all around, but it definitely could have been executed better in the broader sense. I the last person on earth to complain about a movie being too long, but for this one, its was too long because it was too short. There was too much going on story-wise to give each angle the treatment it deserves. This movie should have been two 2-hr movies with more backgrounding. I didn't like just seeing the Joker pop up here and there, I wanted to see him when he wasn't "on stage" b/c then you get the full sense of the character. Dent becoming Two-Face was too lighty treated. Basically the movie ended just fine, but I was left wanting more in the middle. Its kind of like going to a real nice restaurant where the food is unreal, but the portions are too small. It was all great, but there just wasn't enough.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:41 pm

RugbyD wrote:The Dark Knight - 8/10

Its kind of like going to a real nice restaurant where the food is unreal, but the portions are too small. It was all great, but there just wasn't enough.

Ha, nice analogy. I managed to catch TDK on IMAX last night and it was like getting stuffed on filet mignon. :-L
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby dclark0699 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Shrek 3 - It couldn't even hold my attention...oh how far they fell from the original. I honestly can't remember what was happening, other than Donkey had babies with the dragon and him and the cat switched bodies. Just bad. 3/10.

The Da Vinci Code - Solid movie. I really enjoyed the book (albeit not as much as Angels and Demons - a movie I'm hotly anticipating) It was like 2 and half hours and it still didn't feel like it had the breadth of the novel - but everything important was in there. As much as I love Tom Hanks - I just never pictured him as Robert Langdon when reading the novels. 7.5/10.

In related news....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solomon_Key another week of my life where I'll be accomplishing little.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby phillyphan12 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:08 pm

just saw wedding crashers for the first time...8.5/10 really a great comedy as owen wilson and vince vaughn are hilarious throughout and its better than your average comedy because it has a storyline in which you actually have a genuine care for the character`s situation. ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk