Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 am

phillyphan12 wrote:Mystic River- 9.5/10

Wow that was one great film...sean penn, tim robbins, and kevin bacon are all great in this depressing movie. For those who havent seen it, its about childhood friends who years and years later all end up becoming involved(in one way or another) in the murder case of the daughter of Sean Penns character...Clint Eastwood directed and he pulled no punches as it is really just a saddening movie about how horrible life can be sometimes.I have a slight problem with the very last scene of the movie, but i wont elaborate so that i dont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen the movie.

that's a great movie. ;-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby baseballstud » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm

phillyphan12 wrote:Mystic River- 9.5/10

Wow that was one great film...sean penn, tim robbins, and kevin bacon are all great in this depressing movie. For those who havent seen it, its about childhood friends who years and years later all end up becoming involved(in one way or another) in the murder case of the daughter of Sean Penns character...Clint Eastwood directed and he pulled no punches as it is really just a saddening movie about how horrible life can be sometimes.I have a slight problem with the very last scene of the movie, but i wont elaborate so that i dont spoil it for anyone who hasnt seen the movie.

posted on this a few pages back as its been one of my favorites since it first came out, glad to hear you liked it buddy.
baseballstud
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:37 am

j24jags wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:Just curious, do people think Ferrell's or Apatow's stuff is funnier?

Apatow for me...though I do believe he's produced some of Will Ferrell's movies.

Apatow for me too. Superbad (which I didn't love as much as some) beats just about every Will Ferrell movie IMO, and 40 year old virgin, knocked up, and forgetting sarah marshall all were better than superbad IMO.

anyway watched american psycho yesterday for the first time and i'd give it a 7.5/10, i'd say an 8/10 is a must-see so this movie just missed it. it is extremely intense, sex, blood, violence, the whole nine yards, Christian Bale did a great job and it really was his breakthrough movie. It has some deeper undercutting tones than a simple serial killer too which adds to the movie. i did not read the book, but i heard it was much "dirtier" than the movie and if the movie were based more closely off the book it would have been rated NC-17. if you have a strong stomach, like intense movies, like Christian Bale or just like good murder/killing movies then see it.

American Psycho is a brilliant satire and really has nothing to do with killing at all. 9/10 for me, one of my all-time favs that I can quote volumes from. I laugh through most of it.

Anchorman - 4/10
I gave this a 3rd shot and its really just not very funny. Will Ferrell has quickly become the new Jack Black, where he's the same character in every movie where he's the star and none of them beyond the first 2 or 3 were funny anymore.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:09 am

21 - 7.5/10 Solid flick
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 pm

RugbyD wrote:Anchorman - 4/10
I gave this a 3rd shot and its really just not very funny. Will Ferrell has quickly become the new Jack Black, where he's the same character in every movie where he's the star and none of them beyond the first 2 or 3 were funny anymore.

I'm glad someone else finally shares my opinion on this film. I rented it about a year ago and turned it off about forty minutes in. It didn't even provide me with one scene worth chuckling over. Ferrell's films are serious hit or miss candidates at every turn. For every Elf and Old School there's an Anchorman or Semi Pro. Jack Black on the other hand is a miss nearly each time I see his crap on the tube or in theaters. However, I think Tropical Thunder might change all of that in a few weeks. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phatferd » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:11 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
RugbyD wrote:Anchorman - 4/10

I'm glad someone else finally shares my opinion on this film. I rented it about a year ago and turned it off about forty minutes in. It didn't even provide me with one scene worth chuckling over. Ferrell's films are serious hit or miss candidates at every turn. For every Elf and Old School there's an Anchorman or Semi Pro. Jack Black on the other hand is a miss nearly each time I see his crap on the tube or in theaters. However, I think Tropical Thunder might change all of that in a few weeks. ;-D

I agree that the Ferrell is getting bland and redundant, but I love Old School and Anchorman (Elf too), but the rest I can live without. Semi-Pro was awful and I didn't finish Nascar Ferrell. With that said, I am hearing good things about Step Brothers and I will probably end up seeing it. I thought his partner who was in Dewey Cox was awful in Dewey Cox too!

But the moral of the story is Anchorman was a solid movie IMO.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby phillyphan12 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Into The Wild- 9/10...a movie unique to any other i`ve seen, it follows a true story about a guy who, after graduating college with the whole world ahead of him, decides he wants to live his life in the wild. Great Film and i suggest it would be a good watch for anyone. ;-D
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 am

So I finally watched Anchorman last night...... 4/10 Quite possibly one of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while! :-t If I wasn't watching it with a buddy who wanted to see it too i would have turned it off half way through....luckily the second half of the movie was a little better but..... X-I
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Being on a bit of a Batman binge lately, I pulled out the Anthology 1989-1997 to watch the four Burton/Schmuckmacher films. I think it's safe to say I'm spoiled by the new films because the four preceding movies really seem dated. Obviously, I'm not the only person to say how horrible the films became once Keaton ceased being Batman and Burton dropped out of the directors chair. My God, it's highly possible that no matter what Joel Schumacher does here on out, he'll always be remembered for ruining a good thing with Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. What was once a dark and brooding set of films turned into a circus of flashy lights and horrible gags.

I will say this, I think if Burton had continued the film series without Keaton, he would have gotten a far better performance from Val Kilmer. I'm a big Kilmer fan and everytime I watch Batman Forever, I feel as though Schumacher "George Lucased" his actors. Essentially, he didn't get the best from his lead actors. I know Kilmer is far more capable of playing the duality that is Batman/Bruce Wayne. Tommy Lee Jones is a wreck because he's far too over the top. I almost feel like he's trying to match Jim Carrey scene-for-scene, which is an impossible feat. In fact, Carrey is really the only lead in the movie who seems to hold his own. And then there's Nicole Kidman. Ugh. Could she act like more of a slut in this movie, bouncing back and forth between Batman and Wayne. She's so forward it's embarassing. Getting back to the Two Face character, I can only wonder what it would have been like to see the incredible Billy Dee Williams in the role.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:38 pm

I saw the X-Files movie this past weekend and that gets an "Oh, brother". I'm not a fanboy but I've seen enough episodes to get it plus I watched the first movie. Every episode I've seen was better than that awful movie.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk