Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Saw The Dark Knight last night at 12:15. Very solid film entry to the new Batman series. Ledger certainly put on a special performance, really making the Joker character his own. I never thought it would be possible to play a role so closely associated with a great actor like Jack Nicholson, but Ledger really does justice to the character. You really do believe he's out of his tree and he pretty much chews the scenery every time he shows up.

The disappearing pencil trick was truly my favorite of the film. :-b :-o

I'll certainly be seeing this movie a few more times before it leaves theaters, which won't be for quite some time. Altogether, it's a must-see for the summer.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:35 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:The disappearing pencil trick was truly my favorite of the film. :-b :-o

that was so awesome, he quickly became my favorite movie villain.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm going to be attacked for this:

The Dark Knight: 6.5/10. First let me say Heath Ledger was amazing. It is a shame he is no longer with us because this movie would have launched him into superstardom. I just think it suffered from Spiderman 3 disease - trying to do too much in one movie and not doing it all justice.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT. DO NOT HIGHLIGHT UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE OR WANT IT RUINED

Structurally this movie suffered and probably should have been made into two movies (which would have made them a ton more money. This one should have focused entirely on the Joker. They built up Harvey, and that was all well and good - but I think they should have saved evil Harvey for the third movie.

First off, What was the scarecrow doing in the beginning? He never showed back up and what was going on was never totally explained. The dialogue between the bad guys and Batman there was also extremely cheesy. "Don't let me catch you out here again"

Second, Christian Bale's garbled evil Batman voice is more annoying and over the top than anything.

Third, there was a great chase with the Joker launching the bazooka out of the tracker trailer. That chase ended with BAtman bearing down on him on the motorcycle. Batman avoids running him over and skids his bike. He is magically knocked unconscious by this. Then Gordon magically reappears and is able to arrest the Joker simply by pointing a gun at him without any fight (They it could be argued he wanted to be arrested)

Then the Joker is in jail. All the momentum is gone. But then magically Harvey and Rachael have been captured. When was the last time Rachael was in the movie? How hard would it have been to SHOW them being apprehended. No they just bring it up in dialogue as they they forgot to film it. Lame. It was like they were trying to regain all the momentum all at once and force it into the first of two climaxes.

The ending of the movie felt too forced, as though they didnt want to make it any longer. I think cutting Evil Harvey and saving it for a third movie where you explore the Two Face/Batman relationship since both of them have connection to Rachael would have been much better.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby phillyphan12 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:56 am

wow i just came back from seeing it about 2 hrs ago and im still on the internet reading up on other reactions and i just can`t get over how absolutely incredible it was. 10/10 rating for me and its because of so many things...Ledgers performance, harvey dent`s well done storyline, the many many memorable quotes(most of whom belong to Joker), the pure thrill of it all, and the fact that those 2:30 flew by quicker than any movie of that length i have ever seen before...Not only is it the unquestioned greatest comic book movie of all time, but also should rank high on that same list in terms of pure thriller/crime drama films...

Im not going to attack Dclark for his 6.5 outta 10 rating because, well, everyone has their own opinion and im sure I hate some things that most ppl love as well...But contrary to his opinion, i felt as if the 2 storylines he is talking about( i wont go deeper as to not spoil anything) actually meshed quite well together and the film would be quite ordinary without it`s counterpart.
phillyphan12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CheeseBeger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:51 am

dclark0699 wrote:
Structurally this movie suffered and probably should have been made into two movies (which would have made them a ton more money. This one should have focused entirely on the Joker. They built up Harvey, and that was all well and good - but I think they should have saved evil Harvey for the third movie.

First off, What was the scarecrow doing in the beginning? He never showed back up and what was going on was never totally explained. The dialogue between the bad guys and Batman there was also extremely cheesy. "Don't let me catch you out here again"

Second, Christian Bale's garbled evil Batman voice is more annoying and over the top than anything.

Third, there was a great chase with the Joker launching the bazooka out of the tracker trailer. That chase ended with BAtman bearing down on him on the motorcycle. Batman avoids running him over and skids his bike. He is magically knocked unconscious by this. Then Gordon magically reappears and is able to arrest the Joker simply by pointing a gun at him without any fight (They it could be argued he wanted to be arrested)

Then the Joker is in jail. All the momentum is gone. But then magically Harvey and Rachael have been captured. When was the last time Rachael was in the movie? How hard would it have been to SHOW them being apprehended. No they just bring it up in dialogue as they they forgot to film it. Lame. It was like they were trying to regain all the momentum all at once and force it into the first of two climaxes.

The ending of the movie felt too forced, as though they didnt want to make it any longer. I think cutting Evil Harvey and saving it for a third movie where you explore the Two Face/Batman relationship since both of them have connection to Rachael would have been much better.

#1 That was a fake scarecrow/batman, it showed how people were influenced by Batman to go vigilante and take the law into their own hands.

#2 I agree, but Im just guessing it is to hide his identity from Dent.

#4 Just kinda a nitpick. I was surprised by the fake earlier climax also, but I really enjoyed the following stuff. I really didn't mind them cutting out the apprehended stuff.

#5 I actually expected the same thing with Dent (ie two movies) but I completely enjoyed the way they showed him/Joker and his turn to evil. Sure they could have done another movie with him, but they didn't mess it up atleast. It may have been better to foreshaddow Dent as the next installment of the Batman series but I still enjoyed the way they did it.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:11 am

The Dark Knight - 10/10
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:56 am

Getting caught up-
No Country 9/10- Liked it a lot.
There Will Be Blood 8/10 - I don't know if I want this to be "my generation's citizen kane" or anything, but it's good
I'm Not There 6/10- I'm a pretty big Bob Dylan fan, but to say this movie is "forced" would be the understatement of the century.
Grandma's Boy 7.5/10- For what it is I think this movie holds up well against the rest of the genre.

Dark Knight 7.5/10
-
I think it's pretty safe to say that this is the going to be the over-hyped release of the year. I think as time goes by we'll remember Begins as a much, much better movie with a far superior script/plot. There was simply "too much" going on for a large chunk of the movie. I don't know that flurry of events made the film confusing so much as vacuous in depth.
Without going into the details of the movie, let's just say I'm not on the "Oscar for Ledger" bandwagon either - though he certainly does a fine job with the role, no question.
Kudos to them for trying to make this more than just a typical comic book movie sequel, though. They continue to pull off the "real" Batman feel that made the first one such a good changeup.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:55 am

The Dark Knight - 8/10

Heath Ledger was a 12/10 - Amazing! Put Jack N. to shame, IMHO. And yes, the magic pencil trick was awesome!

No Katie Holmes knocks it down a notch...

The fact that I felt like I sat in that movie theatre for like 5 hours knocks it down a notch...and I don't usually have any problem with long movies, I'm not sure why this one felt sooooooo long.

All in all a good movie but definately overhyped. I'll mention it again because I think its worth mentioning again, Heath Ledger did as good a job on a single character than I've seen in years.....he was AWESOME!! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 pm

J35J wrote:The Dark Knight - 8/10

Heath Ledger was a 12/10 - Amazing! Put Jack N. to shame, IMHO. And yes, the magic pencil trick was awesome!

The fact that I felt like I sat in that movie theatre for like 5 hours knocks it down a notch...and I don't usually have any problem with long movies, I'm not sure why this one felt sooooooo long.

All in all a good movie but definately overhyped. I'll mention it again because I think its worth mentioning again, Heath Ledger did as good a job on a single character than I've seen in years.....he was AWESOME!! ;-D

its not necessarily just 'no katie holmes' but more of who they replaced her with %-6
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:36 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:The Dark Knight - 8/10

its not necessarily just 'no katie holmes' but more of who they replaced her with %-6

Man, that poor girl just gets shredded for her looks on just about every message board known to man. It's like she's the female version of Owen Wilson. That guy gets to play cute in every film he's in and the dude is one ugly mother. Maggie finds her way into sexy films like Secretary and plays the romantic lead in Batman. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, but at least she can act ten times better than Holmes.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk