Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:25 pm

Hancock - 6/10

It was eh. Had its moments. Not worth the price of admission at the theater, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Hancock - This movie got horrible reviews. Read some of them, it got trashed. Trashed hard. 34% at Rotten Tomatoes and it sounds worse if you read some of the early critics.

Having just seen it, I will say it is not as bad as the critics say. The premise and the idea were very good, but they did not come through with story that I thought filled the promise. Will Smith was of course, very good. He was playing a somewhat unlikable guy for the first time, and he did it well.

This movie suffered horribly in direction. I don't know who Peter Berg is, but he tries too hard to be Michael Bay or Paul Greengrass from the latter two Bourne movies.

I love the Bourne movies, but the first will always be my favorite because they locked down the camera, used tripods, dollys, and stedicam. I don't know where the fascination with handheld came from, but I am not a fan. I know they go for that "feel like you are part of the action" kind of thing, but what is the point of not locking down the camera for a conversation between Jason Bateman and some suits siting at a table talking about Fritos or some crap? Cutting off part of people's faces, showing 3/4 of the screen as the back of someone's head? Seriously?

I don't think the Bourne feel really fit the context of this movie. In Bourne, it is almost purely action or chasing. Hancock, not so much. 45% of the movie was out of focus and just gave me a headache trying to focus on what is going on.

5/10, without Will Smith - 3/10
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:49 am

Whisp wrote:ooh bottle rocket is one of my favorites of all time

i like AppleJack
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:12 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Whisp wrote:ooh bottle rocket is one of my favorites of all time

i like AppleJack

My favorite from the crew that goes on the robbery with them at the end is the old Indian guy who plays Pagoda in The Royal Tenenbaums. I love when they find him in the freezer and all he can say is "I don't know man, I lose my touch man." :-b

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NorthSider2 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:35 am

Hancock: 8/10

I heard that the critics didn't liked this movie. I thought it was very good. It was funny, thrilling and some twists. Will Smith was a thug and played a great role

Not to mention the main Actress was hot ;-D
Thanks to soty for the sweet sig

Go Cubs
NorthSider2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:31 pm

Saw Pulp Fiction for the first time today, 9.5/10, definitely lives up to the hype, all-star cast, Samuel Jackson and John Travolta were unbelievable. The only reason I give it a 9.5 instead of a 10 is that I'm not sure I fully understand the title.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:25 pm

j24jags wrote:Saw Pulp Fiction for the first time today, 9.5/10, definitely lives up to the hype, all-star cast, Samuel Jackson and John Travolta were unbelievable. The only reason I give it a 9.5 instead of a 10 is that I'm not sure I fully understand the title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_magazine

Go to section 7.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:26 pm

You know how Kill Bill was an homage to Kung-Fu cinema? Pulp Fiction contains a lot of the elements and style of American noir crime fiction that appear in magazines called pulp. That's where the name comes from.

edit: oops was writing that before DD posted :-b
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j24jags » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks guys, I should have checked wikipedia in the first place, I was reading stuff on IMDB and couldn't find it there...
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:19 pm

Wall-E 9.5/10

Wow, probably one of my favorite movies ever, animated or not. The movie just looked amazing and the story was funny, charming, served as a satire of consumerism if thats a word, and was just so perfectly done. Loved it. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk