Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm

I think Eastern Promises got the shaft, not getting a nomination for best picture. However, given the choices, No Country was the right one. I still have a problem with Moss' murder but it was still an excellent film. There were no great films this year and I think people throw 9s around too easily. And Michael Clayton was easily the most overrated movie since Crash. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:I think there was reason to kill his gang.

First, most of the time there is someone who begins to think they can do the job of the "leader" and may even attempt to assassinate the leader to take over. One of his members even started thinking like this. When they were going after Wade to rescue him, he spoke up that they should let him go and they could do it without him. It's inevitable for someone to try and take over.

Second, I think he knew his crew would kill Bale's son and he respected Bale a lot more than his crew. Bale not only laid his life on the line to provide for his family, he also in theory kept Wade alive.

Third, Wade's number 2 (forgot his name) even said at one point to the member of the gang who wanted to desert Wade, "Don't you remember what he did for us?" This makes me think that he escaped them from the Yuma prison when he busted out. He probably gets a new gang each time he escaped from the prison and may have killed each gang every time he went back.

Actually, I think that the reason in the movie for him killing his gang is that he yelled at them not to shoot Bale and when they shot him anyways he killed them all in a fit of pique. Just as ridiculous as the exlanation that you provided.

You guys are reading way too much into this. We are supposed to believe that he killed his gang b/c he was irked and he boarded the train b/c it amused him to do so.

Either way, stupid.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Nah, just your reasoning is stupid.

He killed his gang for what I believe are the 3 underlying reasons I posted above. He got on the train so Wade's family would get the $1000 from the railroad company.

How hard is it to understand that Wade had conscience and wasn't a ruthless killer. He had a heart somewhere in there and that was the purpose of his character. It showed that people who murder could have more to them than murder.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:12 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think Eastern Promises got the shaft, not getting a nomination for best picture. However, given the choices, No Country was the right one. I still have a problem with Moss' murder but it was still an excellent film. There were no great films this year and I think people throw 9s around too easily. And Michael Clayton was easily the most overrated movie since Crash. :-D

I hated Eastern Promises...Well I didn't hate it, I just was very disappointed. My major problem with the movie is that I hate when films are in English when it takes place in another country, but they use heavy accents. It just takes something that I want to believe and right off the bat make it non-believable with the stupid thick accents in hopes of making us forget they are supposed to be speaking Russian.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:42 pm

Umm??? I don't really disagree with your opinion in general but it doesn't seem to apply to Eastern Promises. The movie takes place in London and Naomi Watts' character is English. All of the scenes without a western character are spoken in Russian and subtitled in English. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:52 pm

Who cares if Ana Ivanova doesn't speak Russian? She's hot as hell. ;-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:28 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Imagine if at the end of No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem's character Chigur, instead of killing Moss' wife, he respects her for refusing to call heads or tails and b/c she has earned his respect he gives her the stolen money and lets her live. What kind of a pussy ending would that be? Chigur's character was so great b/c he was a believable bad guy. Crowe turned out to be a Disney bad guy and Bale's character's motivation was not believable at all and for him to want to commit suicide at the end by just standing there and letting himself get shot was just absurd. Happy endings sometimes are a total letdown - this was one of those cases.

So what? Ben Wade is a complex dynamic character while Chigurh is a static. Wade has depth, he is not a thoughtless killer, with no empathy. He may not have tons of compassion for his follow man, but he has some.

What is more realistic? That every single character in a movie is only either good or evil, or that everyone has both good and evil in his heart. In No Country for Old Men no character is really dynamic at all, the Sheriff is an old school throwback law man who is shocked at the violence of his county and doesn't like kids with Green Hair, Llewelyn Moss is a Vietnam vet who finds money, Chigurh is a ruthless killer, who miraculously (btw very unrealistically) aviods capture, ect... Ben Wade has depth: he is smart, ruthless, greedy, and yet has some compassion for the little guy who is being stepped on by those in power (somewhat similar to the way he feels, rightly or wrongly, persecuted). Just because Ben Wade is willing to give a man who has fallen on hard times some money (without sacrificing anything, mind you) does not make him less realistic than a guy who travels the highways murdering people for their pickups.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:36 pm

Phatferd wrote:Nah, just your reasoning is stupid.

Either way the ending is stupid. The ending.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby vtigers23 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:43 pm

Semi Pro- 9/10

Fools Gold- 7/10

Step up 2- 1/10 (not by choice)

Alvin and the Chipmunks- 5/10 (not by choice)

Enchanted- 5/10 (not by choice)
vtigers23
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:47 pm

thedude wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Imagine if at the end of No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem's character Chigur, instead of killing Moss' wife, he respects her for refusing to call heads or tails and b/c she has earned his respect he gives her the stolen money and lets her live. What kind of a pussy ending would that be? Chigur's character was so great b/c he was a believable bad guy. Crowe turned out to be a Disney bad guy and Bale's character's motivation was not believable at all and for him to want to commit suicide at the end by just standing there and letting himself get shot was just absurd. Happy endings sometimes are a total letdown - this was one of those cases.

So what? Ben Wade is a complex dynamic character while Chigurh is a static. Wade has depth, he is not a thoughtless killer, with no empathy. He may not have tons of compassion for his follow man, but he has some.

What is more realistic? That every single character in a movie is only either good or evil, or that everyone has both good and evil in his heart. In No Country for Old Men no character is really dynamic at all, the Sheriff is an old school throwback law man who is shocked at the violence of his county and doesn't like kids with Green Hair, Llewelyn Moss is a Vietnam vet who finds money, Chigurh is a ruthless killer, who miraculously (btw very unrealistically) aviods capture, ect... Ben Wade has depth: he is smart, ruthless, greedy, and yet has some compassion for the little guy who is being stepped on by those in power (somewhat similar to the way he feels, rightly or wrongly, persecuted). Just because Ben Wade is willing to give a man who has fallen on hard times some money (without sacrificing anything, mind you) does not make him less realistic than a guy who travels the highways murdering people for their pickups.

Don't forget artistic. He draws a neat bird. There's depth for ya.

btw - if he wanted to give a man who has fallen on hard times some money why didn't he just reach into his pocket or maybe into that chest of money that he just robbed out of that stagecoach?!?!? I know, because it adds so much more depth to run through an entire town of people trying to kill you (and don't tell your gang to back off b/c you need the realism so the son will believe it), kill your gang, go to jail and then break out of jail, so that the pinkerton beaurocrat will cough up $1,000. That's the more realistic way to do it. Sometimes it's hard to discern depth from drop dead stupid. It's a fine line.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk