100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:10 am

Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:"There will be blood" 8.5/10

"No Country for Old Men" 9/10

I felt that There Will Be Blood was much better than No Country for Old Men. I enjoyed both, but I would have to give There Will Be Blood a 9/10 and No Country an 8/10.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:15 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I even liked the ending unlike some people. I loved the Crowe/Bale relationship. I though it was kind of clear that Wade didn't care about his gang at all during the first robbery. Crowe did what he did to get on the train at the end b/c the boy called him out when he persisted that he "wasn't all bad."

Yeah, the guy that murders someone by stabbing him in the neck with a dinner fork was shamed by a boy calling him out. I mean he must have had a heart of gold because he threw somebody off a cliff for insulting his mother. Makes perfect sense. Completely believable.

Mugrila wrote: He got on the train to show his respect for Bale,

The bad guy with a heart of gold. Just like pretty woman, except instead of a prostitute he is an insane murderer. Makes perfect sense. Completely believable.

Bale was a poor farmer, who was just trying to keep his family alive. The men Crowe killed were bad people. Crowe's character obviously would kill good people as easily as bad ones, but he respected what Bale's character was doing and so he decided to help him. A little more believable than the folk tales that grew up around Jesse James.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:32 am

Mugrila wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I even liked the ending unlike some people. I loved the Crowe/Bale relationship. I though it was kind of clear that Wade didn't care about his gang at all during the first robbery. Crowe did what he did to get on the train at the end b/c the boy called him out when he persisted that he "wasn't all bad."

Yeah, the guy that murders someone by stabbing him in the neck with a dinner fork was shamed by a boy calling him out. I mean he must have had a heart of gold because he threw somebody off a cliff for insulting his mother. Makes perfect sense. Completely believable.

Mugrila wrote: He got on the train to show his respect for Bale,

The bad guy with a heart of gold. Just like pretty woman, except instead of a prostitute he is an insane murderer. Makes perfect sense. Completely believable.

Oh come on. It's not like he's standing outside of a walmart ringing a bell for the salvation army. He's getting on a train at little to no cost to himself for a guy and his son who really showed some huevos and stood up to him like not many would. Kind of like how Luke earns respect in Cool Hand Luke by standing up and getting the crap kicked out of him until he could barely stand up.

Its no Tombstone or Good the Bad and the Ugly, but it's a good movie, and it's not pretty woman. Cheer up.

Imagine if at the end of No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem's character Chigur, instead of killing Moss' wife, he respects her for refusing to call heads or tails and b/c she has earned his respect he gives her the stolen money and lets her live. What kind of a pussy ending would that be? Chigur's character was so great b/c he was a believable bad guy. Crowe turned out to be a Disney bad guy and Bale's character's motivation was not believable at all and for him to want to commit suicide at the end by just standing there and letting himself get shot was just absurd. Happy endings sometimes are a total letdown - this was one of those cases.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:41 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Imagine if at the end of No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem's character Chigur, instead of killing Moss' wife, he respects her for refusing to call heads or tails and b/c she has earned his respect he gives her the stolen money and lets her live. What kind of a pussy ending would that be? Chigur's character was so great b/c he was a believable bad guy.

Gonna have to agree with this. Once I figured out what they were going for, that really was a pretty good ending.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:05 pm

I don't buy Mooks analogy. I respect that he has an opinion and tries to explain it. He has his points and the fact that he feels the way he does, I agree with his assesment from his perspective. I just see it through different glasses, I guess.

I loved both movies (Yuma and No Country), but I don't think you can compare Wade's character to Anton. They were two totally different bad guys. Anton didn't care about anyone and only lived for himself. He decided people's fate by a coin. He would have killed an innocent old man who ran a beat-up shop if the coin decided his fate. He chose to kill the wife of Moss, and countless others.

Wade, was a murderer, but he killed people for a purpose. He respected people, even though he was a murderer. The woman at the bar, he was sweet and gentle to. His talent of drawing, brought a softer side to him for us all to see. The man he killed with a fork, not only taunted him and dug his own grave, he destroyed the ranch that Bale and his boys survived on. Wade knew all of this.

These two characters were totally different, you cannot compare the two at all. Wade killing his gang and showing respect to Bale and his son, were 100% within his character.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Imagine if at the end of No Country for Old Men, Javier Bardem's character Chigur, instead of killing Moss' wife, he respects her for refusing to call heads or tails and b/c she has earned his respect he gives her the stolen money and lets her live. What kind of a pussy ending would that be? Chigur's character was so great b/c he was a believable bad guy.

Didn't you not like NCFOM? I seem to recall you saying something like that.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:15 pm

thedude wrote:
Dr. StrangeGlove wrote:"There will be blood" 8.5/10

"No Country for Old Men" 9/10

I felt that There Will Be Blood was much better than No Country for Old Men. I enjoyed both, but I would have to give There Will Be Blood a 9/10 and No Country an 8/10.

I thought they were both very good (I think I gave them each 9's), and I can certainly see why NCFOM won the Oscar, but I liked There Will Be Blood better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:05 pm

Phatferd wrote:I loved both movies (Yuma and No Country), but I don't think you can compare Wade's character to Anton. They were two totally different bad guys. Anton didn't care about anyone and only lived for himself. He decided people's fate by a coin. He would have killed an innocent old man who ran a beat-up shop if the coin decided his fate. He chose to kill the wife of Moss, and countless others.

Wade, was a murderer, but he killed people for a purpose. He respected people, even though he was a murderer. The woman at the bar, he was sweet and gentle to. His talent of drawing, brought a softer side to him for us all to see. The man he killed with a fork, not only taunted him and dug his own grave, he destroyed the ranch that Bale and his boys survived on. Wade knew all of this.

These two characters were totally different, you cannot compare the two at all. Wade killing his gang and showing respect to Bale and his son, were 100% within his character.

I can't dispute the statement that pussing out at the end was within his character. With the exception of Get Shorty I really don't like Elmore Leonard and find all of his characters unbelievable.

There was no reason for him to kill his gang. Crowe was a robber and was out to steal money. These guys helped him. And looked to be very competent and loyal to him. Why kill them? The only possible reason was that he was a psychopath. That fits with throwing a guy off a cliff (another guy that he supposedly respected, for what that is worth) for making a joke about his mom and all of his other actions in the movie. He was a psycho.

Is it consitent for a psychopath who was up to then totally self-centred to kill his entire gang to show respect for a dead man? Not at all. Made no sense. He did all of that so that a kid would respect his dead dad? That's the worst of hollywood cliches.

mweir145 wrote:

Didn't you not like NCFOM? I seem to recall you saying something like that.

I really liked No Country. But I was disappointed by the sudden end. It could have ended a lot less abruptly. I still had popcorn left.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

I think there was reason to kill his gang.

First, most of the time there is someone who begins to think they can do the job of the "leader" and may even attempt to assassinate the leader to take over. One of his members even started thinking like this. When they were going after Wade to rescue him, he spoke up that they should let him go and they could do it without him. It's inevitable for someone to try and take over.

Second, I think he knew his crew would kill Bale's son and he respected Bale a lot more than his crew. Bale not only laid his life on the line to provide for his family, he also in theory kept Wade alive.

Third, Wade's number 2 (forgot his name) even said at one point to the member of the gang who wanted to desert Wade, "Don't you remember what he did for us?" This makes me think that he escaped them from the Yuma prison when he busted out. He probably gets a new gang each time he escaped from the prison and may have killed each gang every time he went back.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk