Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 am

Fracture : 7/10

just watched this on dvd. pretty entertaining, and i love the ol' crime/lawyer/police/ criminal types. i was satisfied. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:35 am

Snakes Gould wrote:Fracture : 7/10

just watched this on dvd. pretty entertaining, and i love the ol' crime/lawyer/police/ criminal types. i was satisfied. ;-D

Yeah, it wasn't very unique at all, but it was done well, wasn't it?
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:39 am

statsman88 wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Anyone seen 10,000 BC yet?

Everything I've read says "horrible and one of the worst movies ever".

My brother saw it and told me that It was absolutely awful

I've heard the same. The most common complaint is that the dialog is absolutely horrendous. Apparently, the "translated" conversations involved modern day sayings, like "Bring it on," or "Make my day." Kind of funny coming from a cave man.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:05 am

Gosling is becoming one of my favorite actors and Anthony Hopkins is always great. The story was a bit contrived though. Still enjoyable.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Amazinz wrote:Gosling is becoming one of my favorite actors and Anthony Hopkins is always great.

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt after seeing it.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Amazinz wrote:Gosling is becoming one of my favorite actors and Anthony Hopkins is always great. The story was a bit contrived though. Still enjoyable.

you'd think hopkins would get sick of playing a murderer in every movie though, no? but he sure does play a good one. im not quite sure how i felt about gosling's performance. it was solid, but im not quite sure he fit in that role. the only thing that truly bothered me about the film was how fast gosling was in the sack with his boss. one minute they're introducing themselves, the next hes waking up after doing her, and then hes at thanksgiving dinner.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:06 pm

He probably wouldn't have been my first choice for the role but I thought the interaction between him and Hopkins was very entertaining. My favorite Gosling performance is Stay and he's awesome in Lars and the Real Girl (although the movie is a little bit overrated IMHO).

As far as Hopkins, he doesn't really play that many psychos does he? I think Hannibal just sticks with us or maybe I have a bad memory. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:17 pm

An old officemate once recommended that I watch "Goal" because well, I'm what she and everyone calls a "soccer freak". She says it's not cheesy, but as with all underdog stories, it just is, no matter how serious the film wants to take itself. Basically, it's supposedly about a former gangbanger in L.A. moving to England to try out for Newcastle. The only real entertainment I had gotten was with the Alan Shearer cameos, which prompted me to sing "Cheer Up, Alan Shearer" each time the camera had shown his face.

Thankfully, I saw it on Youtube and so I didn't waste anything on it.

Supposedly, there's a sequel to Goal, but I won't be arsed around to seeing it. Methinks the title is:

Goal: The Dream Begins - 4/10

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:35 pm

Haven't seen that one. The best American goes to England "soccer" movie (not sure how many there are :-D) is IMHO Green Street Hooligans. More about hooligans than soccer but much better than I thought it would be going in.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Amazinz wrote:Haven't seen that one. The best American goes to England "soccer" movie (not sure how many there are :-D) is IMHO Green Street Hooligans. More about hooligans than soccer but much better than I thought it would be going in.

"And for **** sake, stop...saying...SOCCER!" :-D

GSH really has nothing to do with football naturally, but I thought it portrayed football hooliganism quite well, especially to an American audience not familiar with the concepts of firms and the backstory behind the heat of such rivalries. I'm sure most folks have a hard time believing Elijah Wood to be a hooligan (he is a West Ham supporter in real life), but I guess that's what adds a human face to the story, I suppose. I find it comical when he's even singing the West Ham songs. :-b Anyway, the fights were of course, a bit on the Hollywood side and the story is nothing really deep, but enjoyable...even if you're not a soccer fan and if you're a top Red like myself who didn't like the United Red Army segment. :-b

One side note: I've always thought it was odd the producers used the fictitious Green Street Elite name instead of the real firm's name of West Ham, the Inter City Firm (ICF). Every firm alluded to has their names except for Millwall (Spurs - Yid Army, Birmingham - Zulu Warriors, Man Utd - Red Army).

Another film I'd look into is "The Football Factory". It was never released here, but basically it has the same hooligan antics as GSH. Only this one hovers around Chelsea's firm, the Headhunters. Not quite as good as GSH though.

Youtube also has "The Real Football Factories" which documents more on an in depth look on football hooliganism in the UK and elsewhere. Really great series that is. By far, I believe Turkey and Croatia/Serbia have the most fanatical supporters.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk