Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:43 am

Snakes Gould wrote:can someone please explain to me what they find funny about billy bob thorton? every one of his movies suck to me.

Bad Santa has to be one of the funniest movies of all-time.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:11 pm

I saw 3:10 Yuma a month ago and just got around to watching it again with my fiance since she hadn't seen it.

10/10
[SPOILER ALERT]

I loved this movie the first time I watched it. The cinematography is breathtaking, in my opinion. The visual look of this film is a thing of beauty. They really framed every shot and made the eye attracted to all the right parts of the screen. I enjoyed the emotional struggle of a man trying to provide for his family at the sake of his ego and manhood. He had two boys; one adored him and thought of him as a hero, while the other saw the coward and the hobbled man who could not provide adequately for his family. Each were metaphors for each other, needing the other to further the story and let the viewer into this world. I like most people (who never saw the original) was surprised at the end when Dan (Bale) dies, then everyone proceeds to die at Ben Wade's (Crowe) expense. It didn't quite all add up to me, but I realized why Dan (Bale) died. He didn't want to be a coward to his son.

The second time I watched it, I picked something up that I didn't the first time. At the end when Wade (Crowe), Dan (Bale) and the railroad worker are all in the hotel room Dan said something to the railroad worker. He told him to watch after his son and give his wife $1,000. The railroad worker said, "I'll do anything if you get Wade on the 3:10 to Yuma". Dan (Bale) then turns to Ben (Crowe) and asks him if he heard what the railroad worker said and Ben said he did. This is why Ben (Crowe) got on that train after killing everyone. Wade could have just got on his horse and drifted into some other town. Instead, he wanted the family of Dan to be taken care of and knew if he didn't kill his crew then they would go after him for turning his back on them. They went and risked their lives to try and get him back from the authorities and if he just got on that train, then they would have killed him out of anger. He already told Dan that he had escaped Yuma twice before, therefore, he knew he would escape again. Wade wanted Dan's family to be taken care of.

Just my analysis. I love this movie.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:31 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:can someone please explain to me what they find funny about billy bob thorton? every one of his movies suck to me.

i disliked it

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:23 am

Phatferd wrote:I saw 3:10 Yuma a month ago and just got around to watching it again with my fiance since she hadn't seen it.

10/10
[SPOILER ALERT]

I loved this movie the first time I watched it. The cinematography is breathtaking, in my opinion. The visual look of this film is a thing of beauty. They really framed every shot and made the eye attracted to all the right parts of the screen. I enjoyed the emotional struggle of a man trying to provide for his family at the sake of his ego and manhood. He had two boys; one adored him and thought of him as a hero, while the other saw the coward and the hobbled man who could not provide adequately for his family. Each were metaphors for each other, needing the other to further the story and let the viewer into this world. I like most people (who never saw the original) was surprised at the end when Dan (Bale) dies, then everyone proceeds to die at Ben Wade's (Crowe) expense. It didn't quite all add up to me, but I realized why Dan (Bale) died. He didn't want to be a coward to his son.

The second time I watched it, I picked something up that I didn't the first time. At the end when Wade (Crowe), Dan (Bale) and the railroad worker are all in the hotel room Dan said something to the railroad worker. He told him to watch after his son and give his wife $1,000. The railroad worker said, "I'll do anything if you get Wade on the 3:10 to Yuma". Dan (Bale) then turns to Ben (Crowe) and asks him if he heard what the railroad worker said and Ben said he did. This is why Ben (Crowe) got on that train after killing everyone. Wade could have just got on his horse and drifted into some other town. Instead, he wanted the family of Dan to be taken care of and knew if he didn't kill his crew then they would go after him for turning his back on them. They went and risked their lives to try and get him back from the authorities and if he just got on that train, then they would have killed him out of anger. He already told Dan that he had escaped Yuma twice before, therefore, he knew he would escape again. Wade wanted Dan's family to be taken care of.

Just my analysis. I love this movie.

3:10 to Yuma is an excellent movie, also loved it. Best western I have seen since I guess Wild Wild West.

What can Christian Bale not do? First his outstanding role in the Machinist where he lost all that weight. Later the movie the Prestige which was different and had an unexpected ending and now the Batman series.

Recently saw the movie Death Sentence, Id say 8/10, I liked it a lot. It was different. Kevin Bacon really reminds me in this movie of the role Mark Wahlberg played in Shooter.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 am

Just saw Ice Age the other night with my wife. It was actually pretty hilarious
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:30 am

Phatferd wrote:I saw 3:10 Yuma a month ago and just got around to watching it again with my fiance since she hadn't seen it.

I felt that 3:10 to Yuma could have been considerably better than it ended up being, it disappointed me in a way, but maybe that's just me. Definitely a good movie with a great ending, I'll agree with you there.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:32 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:

Agreed, it was very funny.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:41 am

American History X: A solid movie with excellent acting from Edward Norton in his role as a former neo-nazi.
8/10

LA Confidential: One of the better movies I've seen in a while. It had a very good story to it that made you think, with Spacey, Crowe, and Pierce doing great jobs in the lead roles.
9/10
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:14 pm

American History X could have been much better if it got rid of Edward Furlong and his atrocious acting and high pitched squirly voice.

Additionally, the black guy in jail was atrocious. I don't know if he was a bad actor or it was just really bad scenes, but it was horrible. Norton, as aways was amazing.

And I don't know how anyone can mention Christian Bale without mentioning American Psycho; best character of all time.

3:10 to Yuma was good. As a western it was certainly better than the Assasination of Jesse James. What a snoozefest.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:29 pm

One of my favorites but I think Travis Bickle would have something to say about Best Ever. }:-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk