Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:44 am

mweir145 wrote:Pan's Labyrinth: I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie yet, but I guess I just kept forgetting. It was great, and I'm surprised that it wasn't even nominated for the best picture of '06, it may have been the best that year. It was extremely original, and had a great story to it.

9/10

I think it got a foreign language film nomination for best pic.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm

There Will Be Blood - 9.5/10.

There are a lot of good things you can say about this movie (cinematography, the score done by Johnny Greenwood to name a couple), but like others who have seen this film I'll go with this, Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible. Even though I have only seen it once, over time I could see this being hailed as a classic performance, probably one of the best of the decade. His character can be so menacing at times, and he is on screen nearly the entire movie, which is about 2 hours and 30 minutes, maybe a little more. Speaking of the length, this is one of those movies that needs over 2 hours. If it would have been 3 hours I would not have complained once. I hope they come out with a great special or limited edition of this movie, cause I will for sure throw out the cash for it.
Last edited by tuff_gong on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:17 pm

tuff_gong wrote:There Will Be Blood - 9.5/10.

There are a lot of good things you can say about this movie (cinematography, the score done by Johnny Greenwood to name a couple), but like others who have seen this film I'll go with this, Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible. Even though I have only seen it once, over time I could see this being hailed as a classic performance, probably one of the best of the decade. He character can be so menacing at times, and he is on screen nearly the entire movie, which is about 2 hours and 30 minutes, maybe a little more. Speaking of the length, this is one of those movies that needs over 2 hours. If it would have been 3 hours I would not have complained once. I hope they come out with a great special or limited edition of this movie, cause I will for sure throw out the cash for it.

I want to see this soooooo badly. :-L :-L :-L
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:21 pm

I figured this thread would be a good place to post Oscar nominations.

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

Here's the whole list: http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UAVE2O0&show_article=1

edit: It's worth mentioning that No Country and Blood tied with 8 for the most nominations. Atonement and Michael Clayton tied for second with 7 a piece.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:47 pm

RugbyD wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Pan's Labyrinth: I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie yet, but I guess I just kept forgetting. It was great, and I'm surprised that it wasn't even nominated for the best picture of '06, it may have been the best that year. It was extremely original, and had a great story to it.

9/10

If you can get past the subtitles, Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent flick. Love the ending. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

9/10

If you can get past the subtitles, Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent flick. Love the ending. ;-D

I think I was the only one that didn't really care for the movie.....but like my comments earlier in this thread said, I was expecting the movie to be different than it was.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:16 am

There Will Be Blood- Spoiler alert...

This movie got to a theatre within 60 miles of me and my wife and I headed out to see this. I am glad we did.

Last week we saw "Now Country for Old Men" and in comparison I think the two films are going to have a nice battle for Best Picture. But I think Blood wins with a last-second bowling pin to the head!!

At points I began thinking the movie was too long. My wife was falling asleep a bit but I was taking in Day Lewis' acting. Watching him turn from idealist prospector to insane isolationalist was awesome. But the coup de grace for the movie was the last scene btw him and Dano, as the nutjob preacher/healer. Awesome scene that should go down as among the best scenes ever. Plainview gets his comeuppance, as he had to do in everything he has done in life. Again, Plainview had to win and getting a financially desparate Sunday to shout that he was a false prophet was fun.

"I'm done!"
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby dclark0699 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Last Couple I've Seen

His Girl Friday (7.5/10)
-A black and whiter. Much better than most of the comedies these days. Sharp dialogue, good conflict.

Psycho (5/10)
- I was disappointed with this after all the good things I've heard all my life. Though probably revolutionary for its time, the twist was very obvious.

North By Northwest (5/10)
-First twenty minutes or so of the movie was unbearably frustrating. The middle hour and a half was solid - then the last 5 minutes were awful. Terrible, terrible ending.
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:22 pm

dclark0699 wrote:Psycho (5/10)
- I was disappointed with this after all the good things I've heard all my life. Though probably revolutionary for its time, the twist was very obvious.

Well the twist was very obvious to you probably because it's been overdone for about 45 years in a wonderful place called Hollywood. :-D

Eastern Promises - 7/10 - I was expecting a different kind of movie. Very similar in style as a A History of Violence I thought. Pretty entertaining.

3:30 To Yuma - 7.5/10 - A great story about two very different men seeking redemption. It was entertaining and I enjoyed it but I liked Open Range better in terms of recent Westerns. I'd like to see Assassination of Jesse James since I heard great things about it.

Alien Resurrection - 7/10 - better than Alien 3.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:23 pm

What About Chuck - the movie itself.... 5/10 but with all the "neckedness" 9.5/10 :-L
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk