100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 am

Just watched two................

50 First Dates

Loved it. (Mind you I have had a mega boner for Drew Barrymore since The Wedding Singer).

9/10 ;-D

Shooter

Outstanding. Apart from the start of the movie being "unrealistic model makers monthly" this was very very entertaining.
I love how they go on about America + oil, that is very amusing.

Image <--- Shooter eye-candy. Yum! ;-D

(Tip for a night in with your g/f......my g/f gave Shooter an 8/10).

9/10 ;-D

This is a first ever, a night in with 2 dvds where one hasn't got less then a 5/10. There still is hope people. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:51 pm

JTWood wrote:I'm still going to see the movie, because the people that got over the shaky-cam still enjoyed it as a thriller. That filming style doesn't bother me too badly, so I'll be going but with lowered expectations.

I take this back. I just found out the movie is 89 minutes long.

I refuse to go see any adult-oriented movie that's less than 100 minutes in length. :-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:21 pm

JTWood wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm still going to see the movie, because the people that got over the shaky-cam still enjoyed it as a thriller. That filming style doesn't bother me too badly, so I'll be going but with lowered expectations.

I take this back. I just found out the movie is 89 minutes long.

I refuse to go see any adult-oriented movie that's less than 100 minutes in length. :-t

I never write off movies for that reason. They don't have to be long to be good.

A recent example: Shoot 'em Up was probably less than 89 minutes long, and that was awesome.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby ChipaDub » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 am

I'm pissed I didn't follow my intuition and walk out after the first 15 minutes of Cloverfield, and ask for my money back. I think the teenage girls enjoyed it though.
ChipaDub
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:26 am

Shooter - 5/10

Some Americans killed an entire village of Aficans to put an oil pipe through. So Marky Mark kills them all. Every one of them. Made his own weapons from stuff bought at Wal-Mart.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:45 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Shooter - 5/10

Some Americans killed an entire village of Aficans to put an oil pipe through. So Marky Mark kills them all. Every one of them. Made his own weapons from stuff bought at Wal-Mart.

Only 5?
The hot bird that's in it is worth at least 2. :-L
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 20)

Postby JTWood » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:46 am

Finally saw No Country last night: 8/10

At first, I was upset like everyone else at how it ended. Then I thought about it for a while, and I think I got what they were going for. There was an old way of doing things that was going away because of the incoming drug trade. It seemed like the movie took three people and walked through their attempt to "evolve" to the situation. The movie wasn't about who got the money. The movie was about how they handled their approach to the situation(s) the money presented.

That said, I'm still pissed at the movie. It really was like watching two movies. The first movie was meticulously detailed, leaving no stone unturned. You were walked, hand-in-hand, through each scene being given the exact knowledge you needed to figure out what was going on. That movie ended after the motel pool chick told him that, "Beers lead to more beers."

The second movie left plot holes a plenty, particularly with concern to Sheriff Bell. I won't go into them in detail, because I don't want to spoil anything. But if you've seen it, you know what I'm saying. It's like they just decided to cut off the flow of information so that they could hurry through some extra scenes. Also, I don't understand what the final scene with Chigurh was supposed to convey. I understood Tommy Lee Jones' scene, but Bardem's final scene seemed forced. They could have ended his character when he left the house.

Anyway, still one of the most memorable movies I've ever seen. Anton Chigurh is one of the greatest villains in cinematic history, and Josh Brolin (he was in Goonies!!!) was great.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:19 pm

SuperBad Loved it. The young teenager in me was back in full force. I immediately compared it to Porkies. Just madcap teen fun. The two cops hitting the town with McLovin' was a bit much but who cares? Very funny movie.

No Country for Old MenI guess this one is about Tommie Lee Jones' character realizing that he is past his prime, if he ever had a prime. And ad for the Brolin death scene...did we need to see it? After momma gave up the info as to where she and Moss' wife were meeting him it was obvious what was going to happen. To have Bell get to the scene late was very satisfying. Didn't need to see more death. Shoot, Moss got himself into that mess so feeling sorry for him was not going to happen.

Didn't get the Woody Harrelson character. Was he to show how easy it is to track? On a second viewing I'll pay closer attention to their final meeting to see.

Ok, guys..."call it".
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:55 pm

Cloverfield - 7/10

Before I say anything, going into this movie, my expectations had been pretty low going in. Earlier in this thread a couple of months ago, I included this movie in a list of movies that I was really looking forward to. But as time went on and a looked into it more and more, the dumber I thought it would be...but, I was pleasantly surprised by Cloverfield. It is not bad, definitely an intense movie going experience. I would recommend that you sit towards the back of the theater though. When I saw it my friends and I had to sit towards the front and my friend semi got motion sickness from a couple of the shaky cam scenes. So if you can get motion sickness, I would say it would be smarter to get there a little early and snag a seat in the back. As far as the monster goes (no spoilers), I think it is pretty well done.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:And as for the Brolin death scene...did we need to see it? After momma gave up the info as to where she and Moss' wife were meeting him it was obvious what was going to happen.

Yes, it was obvious, but they'd played out every other obvious scene up until that point. Not showing his death - not even showing his dead body for more than 1 second (face down) - was a very sudden and marked change in directorial philosophy right at a point when it needed to deliver on the original philosophy.

It was akin to writing in 3rd person for 80% of a novel only to change to 1st person at the end. It may work, but it's completely different.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk