Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Coppermine wrote:Haha, that's awesome! Yes, I consider that movie the turning point in my movie-going lifestyle. It literally was the point where I went from an undiscerning, care-free movie-goer willing to view almost anything in the theater just to have something to do on a Friday night, to the point where I can't believe I just wasted that much time and money on complete garbage. So I can totally understand going to see bad movies in the theater, but I know it's a mistake I'll never make again. :*)

My opinion on movies is exactly the same as yours Coppermine ;-D
My "turning point movie" was Pirates Of The Carribean 2.
2 and a half hours of build-up for a bad guy to walk down the stairs and say "Arrrrrrrrrr" and then the movie finishes. No resolution of anything.
Unless something has rave reviews , or is a true story of something I'm interested in they can cram it }:-) ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:52 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Unless something has rave reviews , or is a true story of something I'm interested in they can cram it }:-) ;-D

See, good for you! Some people may consider me a bit smug or pompous with my movie opinions, but they don't know that I sat through "After the Sunset" in the theater. I guess most people can simply justify seeing bad movies. That's fine with me, but I'll never do it again. I have one or two friends whose movie opinions I consider legitimate, coupled with RottenTomatoes and Metacritic. If all signs point to a good movie, maybe I'll go see it in the theater.

But now that I have a sweet home theater setup, I'm not even anxious to do that. I'll go see the big summer blockbuster or the potential best picture(s) at the theater; maybe even highly rated comedies like "Knocked Up," but I won't just go see anything these days just to have something to do.

I'm better off going out for a few beers, which also reminds me that turning 21 also significantly changed my movie-going habits. Maybe we're less likely to see bad movies if going to a bar is an actual alternative.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:36 pm

One of the great joys in my life is the $1.50 movie theater. It lets me see popcorn munchers on the big screen with none of that kicking myself in the ass for spending $10+ bucks on crap.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:22 am

Amazinz wrote:One of the great joys in my life is the $1.50 movie theater. It lets me see popcorn munchers on the big screen with none of that kicking myself in the ass for spending $10+ bucks on crap.

If I had access to a $1.50 movie theater, I'd go see "After the Sunset 2: After the Sunrise"

Ok... maybe not. But it would be awesome.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:29 am

Lol. I don't know about After the Sunset 2. I'd probably wait for DVD so I could watch it naked and soak my feet in Epsom salt. I was thinking more a long the lines of Transformers, POTC 3, and whatever the newest Keanu Reeves blockbuster is. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:43 am

Coppermine wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Unless something has rave reviews , or is a true story of something I'm interested in they can cram it }:-) ;-D

See, good for you! Some people may consider me a bit smug or pompous with my movie opinions, but they don't know that I sat through "After the Sunset" in the theater. I guess most people can simply justify seeing bad movies. That's fine with me, but I'll never do it again. I have one or two friends whose movie opinions I consider legitimate, coupled with RottenTomatoes and Metacritic. If all signs point to a good movie, maybe I'll go see it in the theater.

But now that I have a sweet home theater setup, I'm not even anxious to do that. I'll go see the big summer blockbuster or the potential best picture(s) at the theater; maybe even highly rated comedies like "Knocked Up," but I won't just go see anything these days just to have something to do.

I'm better off going out for a few beers, which also reminds me that turning 21 also significantly changed my movie-going habits. Maybe we're less likely to see bad movies if going to a bar is an actual alternative.

i definitely agree with what you're saying as thats how ive always been, but at the same time, i feel like i could potentially miss some good movies.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

i definitely agree with what you're saying as thats how ive always been, but at the same time, i feel like i could potentially miss some good movies.

The movies will always be "there." Invest in a sweet HDTV and a nice 5.1 surround system, and you'll never have to worry about missing a sweet movie again. Yeah, the best of the best films should be seen on the big screen, but these days, DVD's are even higher quality than your local theater... and that's not counting HD DVD or BluRay (BTW,BluRay is winning).

So, just taking this year, movies like "Transformers," "I Am Legend" or the upcoming "Cloverfield" are probably films that are worth the price of admission. But honestly; I would seriously doubt there are more than 7 or 8 films worth the admission price to a theater in any given year.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:25 am

Memento: I just watched this for the 2nd time last night, and I picked up on something I didn't notice the first time. About 3/4 of the way through the movie there is a scene with Sammy Jankis in the psychiatric hospital. Right at the end of the scene, as a doctor passes by him, Jankis switches to Leonard for about a half a second, giving away the ending if you are paying close enough attention.

I still enjoyed this as much as the first time, that twist ending of him purposely lying to himself to keep the quest going and the memory of him killing his wife (and becoming a serial killer) is great.

I also noticed that the tatoo of "remember sammy jankis" is in cursive and not his normal handwriting that he trusts. He's obviously conditioned himself to look at the hand for the tatoo for a reminder about his short term memory loss issue, but I can only guess the reason why he's written it in cursive. Maybe deep down he wants to remind himself that he's purposely lied and changed his own memories to alter reality as he knows it, but I'm not too sure.

9/10
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:14 am

Coppermine wrote:
The movies will always be "there." Invest in a sweet HDTV and a nice 5.1 surround system, and you'll never have to worry about missing a sweet movie again. Yeah, the best of the best films should be seen on the big screen, but these days, DVD's are even higher quality than your local theater... and that's not counting HD DVD or BluRay (BTW,BluRay is winning).

So, just taking this year, movies like "Transformers," "I Am Legend" or the upcoming "Cloverfield" are probably films that are worth the price of admission. But honestly; I would seriously doubt there are more than 7 or 8 films worth the admission price to a theater in any given year.

you're right. ive only seen a few movies in the theater this year...off the top of my head, ocean's 13, i am legend, we own the night...i think thats it...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Eastern Promises - 5/10

Just a note beforehand...I didn't get to sit unbothered to watch this. Had the kids running around wild through parts of it! :,-( Anyway, its not my type of movie....it was a snoozer for sure! I almost turned it off after 20 minutes to be honest.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk