Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:55 am

Coppermine wrote:
tuff_gong wrote:A credit to this movie is the sole fact that it is being discussed this much. If a movie makes you think and talk about it that much (just using this thread in particular, The Departed and No Country come to mind), it has got to be doing something right. Right?

And the more I think about it, the more I like it. I really want to see it again so I can analyze the conversations more, particularly the one between Bell and (I'm assuming) his uncle. I go the gist of what the discussion was and I think that sums up most of its theme.

Yeah, I really have to pay a bit more attention to that scene next time. I got some of what they were saying, but not all.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:24 am

There are multiple protagonists in the story. The movie is very much about Moss as well as Bell, as was the book. I believe the flaw in this movie is the moment in the third act where they choose not to show Moss's death and the scene(s) with the "pool lady" leading up to it. Having thought about it awhile, I believe that because NCFOM is supposed to be a philosophical journey the deaths are avoided so that we don't have the traditional climax and instead are forced to analyze it much like we're doing now. It worked. Unfortunately in doing so they leave one of the plot lines unfinished.

I will watch this again when it comes to DVD. Perhaps it will grow on me. On first viewing I disliked Taxi Driver, one of my favorite movies ever made. For now unsatisfied sums up how I feel about the decision to complete Moss' plot with a different perspective than the one established in the first three quarters of the movie.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 pm

No Country For Old Men 8.5/10
-so I begged a couple friends to come see this with me, they didn't like it but I did. The thing was though that we discussed the movie for awhile afterwards, it definetly has the "stick-in-your-head" factor. If you are looking for a typical man-hunt movie with the typical showdown ending, this definetly isn't it. Its unorthodox and you have to think about the movie to understand it.

Hard Eight 7/10
PT Anderson's first movie. Wasn't great, wasn't terrible.

Apocalypse Now 8/10
Never seen this one before. Ending was kinda wierd to me, but It was good

McCabe and Mrs. Miller 7/10
Movie was a bit slow at times, but the setting and the music was great. good ending too

Seven 9/10
Really like this movie. Wish they coulda done more with the very end after the 7 crimes had been commited, but overall I really enjoy this one

Nashville 5/10
Well made and influential, just didn't really enjoy it

Cinderella Man 8/10
Russell Crowe is great. Good sports underdog movie that really happened

The Machinist 8.5/10
Enjoyed this one. still trying to figure out how christian bale goes from ripped batman to anarexic 120 lbs character here. Movie has a few flaws but I really liked it

Short Cuts 8/10
Before there was Magnolia (one of my favs) there was short cuts. This movie I don't like as much but its still was influential, well written and is a solid watch.

3 Women 8/10
Liked it more than I thought I would. Kinda dreamy and surrealistic.
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby luckygehrig » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:57 am

I Am Legend - 8.5/10 I love apocalyptic end-of-the-world type movies and really enjoyed this one. I've heard some complaints about the ending going too fast, but I didn't mind the pace at the end.

I Know Who Killed Me - 0/10 My girlfriend and her sister picked this one out. Never again. :-*
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:13 am

Blade Runner 7/10

Eh didn't see what all of the hype was about. It was a lot slower than I expected.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:31 pm

i just saw i am legend last night...will smith was very good, and i was into the movie but there were a few plot holes throughout keeps me from going any higher than 7/10.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 pm

O Brother Where Art Thou? - 7.5/10. George Clooney and John Turturo were both good, and the movie has some good laughs.

Zodiac - 8.5/10. I really enjoyed this one. Very good dialogue and a few really intense moments.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:40 pm

meet the spartans- 0/10

now i know the movie isnt even out yet, and i've only seen previews on tv, but i can say with 100% certainty that this is the worst movie ever made...the previews alone make me lose faith in the human race that someone can be paid to make something so utterly horrible and that people will actually go watch it
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby mweir145 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:03 am

There will be Blood:
Daniel Day-Lewis' performance makes this movie, but pretty much everything about it is excellent. I'm not sure if it's better than No Country for Old Men, and I might have to watch each of them again to make that decision if I even can, but I did like it more, and considering how much I liked No Country for Old Men, I figured that would be tough.

9/10

Munich:
A good movie with a very interesting story about the Israeli government response to the 1972 massacre of their athletes at the Olympic games, but it falls short of greatness. It was slow at times, and it seems like Spielberg didn't really know how to end it.

7.5/10

Eastern Promises:
Viggo Mortenson does a great job in this role, and the major fight scene in the movie was extremely intense. It's hard to really see the plot twist until it actually comes.

8/10

A History of Violence:
Another good movie with an engaging plot that kind of fades off a bit at the end.

8/10
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:56 am

tuff_gong wrote:Zodiac - 8.5/10. I really enjoyed this one. Very good dialogue and a few really intense moments.

yeah, not many people talk about zodiac as being great, but i loved it. great plot, great dialogue, lengthy (which i always take as a plus since it was very in depth), nothing was obvious, some twists.... ;-D for me.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk