Rate the last movie you saw - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rate the last movie you saw

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Yoda wrote:
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan wrote:He states it in the movie, he puts all the most dramatic absolutely necessary things as tattoo's so that they can never be forgotten, it's easy for a regular person to misplace something, for someone in his condition it would even more likely considering just how severe the losses in memory are. You can't lose tattoos, and pictures are for visual reminders, can't exactly remember who a person is simply from their name in a journal. He doesn't remember jack after each memory lapse including faces, or anything's appearance. Everything he does is quite plausible and logical, certainly a journal to accompany the two wouldn't be a bad idea, but you can't say the tattoo's and picture stood only for dramatic effect. BTW, I absolutely love that movie one of my absolute favorites.

lol why did you edit this post 3 times? :-D

Because it needed it, I don't read my posts BEFORE I hit submit.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:45 pm

tuff_gong wrote:
RugbyD wrote:There Will Be Blood

9/10

Yes, yes there will be. DDL is a shoo-in for Best Actor for this one (though I haven't seen Viggo in Eastern Promises yet). This is a movie about the successes and failures of false prophets and the good people who individually suffer in their wake. Everything about it is perfect or damn close. Scenery, camera work, grit, story, acting, everything is superlative. This movie supports my theory that 90% of good stories can't be appropriately told in less than 2 hours. I docked it one point b/c I would like to have seen another 15-20 minutes added to the movie to focus on Eli Sunday. It's not that anything is missing per se, I just wanted to see more.

It sounds like this movie is turning out to be everything I wanted it to be. How was Paul Dano?

He was pretty good. I liked him in Little Miss Sunshine and with his performance here it looks like he's on a good track.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:51 pm

Definitely looking forward to seeing it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:27 am

Saw No Country For Old Men tonight. I gave it a 7/10 also. I thought the closure was there but I have a serious gripe with the abandonment of Moss's perspective in the third act.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:04 am

Amazinz wrote:Saw No Country For Old Men tonight. I gave it a 7/10 also. I thought the closure was there but I have a serious gripe with the abandonment of Moss's perspective in the third act.

Can you explain what you mean by that? Because I can't say I had a problem with how they dealt with his character, but maybe you are saying something different than what I'm thinking.
Last edited by mweir145 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby pdlata » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:54 am

Charlie Wilson's War: 8/10.

I thought the plot was interesting, and Philip Seymour Hoffman did a great job. I would recommend seeing it.
pdlata
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:02 am

mweir145 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Saw No Country For Old Men tonight. I gave it a 7/10 also. I thought the closure was there but I have a serious gripe with the abandonment of Moss's perspective in the third act.

Can you explain what you mean by that? Because I can't say I had a problem with how they dealt with his character, but maybe you are saying something different than I'm thinking.

I agree with weir; I also think that the movie wasn't truly about Moss, as far as character development is concerned. It was really about Bell (Tommy Lee Jones). I saw the movie tonight, finally, and I thought that it was a masterpiece; perhaps the best movie I've seen in the last two years. As an audience member, I was also a bit disappointed by the "ending," or, more specifically the way some of the events unfold in the third act. But I can say this with the utmost confidence; any sort of ending I would have wanted would not be as good as what was done in the film (which from what i understand was very much faithful to the novel).

This movie will be one of those timeless classics and one of the few movies I've seen in my lifetime that I immediately wanted to see again.

Easily my best film of 2007 (and 2006), but I'm saving all of my judgments until I see "There Will Be Blood."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:10 am

Coppermine wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by that? Because I can't say I had a problem with how they dealt with his character, but maybe you are saying something different than I'm thinking.

I agree with weir; I also think that the movie wasn't truly about Moss, as far as character development is concerned. It was really about Bell (Tommy Lee Jones). I saw the movie tonight, finally, and I thought that it was a masterpiece; perhaps the best movie I've seen in the last two years. As an audience member, I was also a bit disappointed by the "ending," or, more specifically the way some of the events unfold in the third act. But I can say this with the utmost confidence; any sort of ending I would have wanted would not be as good as what was done in the film (which from what i understand was very much faithful to the novel).

This movie will be one of those timeless classics and one of the few movies I've seen in my lifetime that I immediately wanted to see again.

Easily my best film of 2007 (and 2006), but I'm saving all of my judgments until I see "There Will Be Blood."

Exactly. The film isn't really about Moss, it is about Bell. If you think about it, Bell opens and closes the movie, so it isn't an outrageous claim by any means. It is about his life and how he was always one step behind death, chasing criminals like Anton and never really having to confront it. And when given the chance (SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), a.k.a. when him and Anton are at the hotel after Moss dies, he chooses not to act and possibly face death, instead he walks away and retires, regretting it for the rest of his life (as indicated by the final scene).

A credit to this movie is the sole fact that it is being discussed this much. If a movie makes you think and talk about it that much (just using this thread in particular, The Departed and No Country come to mind), it has got to be doing something right. Right?

Exactly. The film (like the book), isn't about Moss, it is about Bell. If you examine the film, Bell

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:16 am

tuff_gong wrote:A credit to this movie is the sole fact that it is being discussed this much. If a movie makes you think and talk about it that much (just using this thread in particular, The Departed and No Country come to mind), it has got to be doing something right. Right?

And the more I think about it, the more I like it. I really want to see it again so I can analyze the conversations more, particularly the one between Bell and (I'm assuming) his uncle. I go the gist of what the discussion was and I think that sums up most of its theme.

I'd really like to discuss it more, but I don't want to give anything away, particularly in the general movie thread. I went into it pretty fresh myself, not knowing much about it other than some of my friends being disappointed with the ending.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:54 am

Coppermine wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

This was kind of how I felt after watching it. Initially I was somewhat surprised (and maybe a little disappointed) at the sudden ending but then I realized it really wouldn't have been realistic and true to the entire story if it all didn't go down as it did. I also started thinking more about the less evident themes throughout, the meaning of Bell's speeches, and what Anton's chracter actually represented, all a day or so after I watched it.

It's definitely the best movie I've seen in theatres since Letters from Iwo Jima last year, and I've been wanting to see it again for weeks now. I haven't seen "There will Be Blood" yet. It's only out on a limited release in the major cities right now, so I might go down to Toronto in the next few days to see it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk